Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
When I begin to accelerate and turn the wheel (like in a parking lot), there is an awful click or bang towards the rear tires. My guess was parking break was on but it was not.
Anyone having the same issue?
Thanks,
Papa

·
18,670 Posts

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Hey all,
When I begin to accelerate and turn the wheel (like in a parking lot), there is an awful click or bang towards the rear tires. My guess was parking break was on but it was not.
Thanks,
Papa
As some have mentioned this issue is addressed by GM. There is a short comment in the Owners Manual on page 26. This short statement doesn't come close to making you feel any better. If you want to be able to describe the situation to someone riding with you check out my 4 page PDF that discusses Akerman steering, cold tire performance, the tighter turning radius in the C7 versus the C6, racing tire compounds etc on my web site: netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.hml
There is a simple solution that GM doesn't mention, when the tires are cold, don't turn as sharp. It is the compromise made to provide over 1 g lateral acceleration!

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Hey all,
Thanks,
Papa

Hi Papa,

I can understand where you'd feel uncomfortable with that noise. If you decide to have your dealer look into it, we'd be for than happy to arrange that. Just let us know, we are here to help.

Terrell
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Hey all,
Thanks,
Papa
If this is a case of the noise coming from the back it is not normal, or should not be. It is my belief that Ackerman angle has nothing to do with this issue and it has more to do with the clutch packs in the rear end. I would have your dealer check your rear diff for proper lube level & possible metal filings. If you have a Z-51 that might make it an E-Diff system issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts