Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 C7 with about 7500 miles.

Occasionally (4 times) the displays on my climate controls (the center stack display of temperature, fan speed, AC, Auto, etc., and the passenger side temperature control display) turn off while driving. The HVAC system seem continues to work (i.e., the AC keeps running) but I cannot see any display. If I turn the car off and let it stand for 15 - 30 minutes the displays return when I restart the car.

This happened most recently over the weekend after about a 1 hr. 20 minute drive. However a few days prior I drove for about 2 hours without any problem.

When I took it to the dealer previously they said they couldn't find any problem.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem and how to fix it?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Welcome to the forum Eskimo. I had a similar problem last summer but additionally when I turned off the engine the backlight on the infotainment screen would stay on and drain the battery. Because of the problem being so intermittent, it was difficult to replicate it. Finally after two lengthy stays at the dealership, they replaced the body control module and it's been no problem since. There are other posts on this problem so you might want to do thread search.

Reactions: elegant

·
Administrator
17,102 Posts
welcome to our forum Eskimo! Next time it happens take a picture with your phone to document for your dealer. There are a couple of HVAC software updates that may or may not apply to your VIN. As Henry427 noted, his ended up having to be replaced (as a few other members have had as well).

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
A video may be even more helpful, as you'd be able to record the sound of the blower fan increasing speed while turning the dial as well as the blank displays.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good suggestions. Thanks.

As luck would have it the problem happened again today while I was on the road and only about 5 miles from my dealer. So I took the car in for them to witness firsthand. They kept it running until a tech could look at it and troubleshoot it. They did update some HVAC software which they thought solved the problem. However later they were able to make it happen again. So now they are troubleshooting the radio (since in today's incident I also lost nav and phone functions) and HVAC for a lose wire / connection. Hopefully they'll find the true cause. I'll post whatever they come up with.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
That's pretty good news. It's huge that they've seen the problem firsthand. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
10,658 Posts
Henry427, I saw above where they replaced your BCM and you have not had any problems since. How difficult is it to replace? It the BCM only accessible if the dash is removed, or is it located elsewhere?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer thinks they have found & fixed the problem(s). After performing "IPC and HVAC module program updates" the problem persisted. Digging deeper they "found poor terminal connection at connector X1 at A20 module". They "R&R the connector and reseated all terminals properly. Applied dielectric to terminals and reconnected into module". (So far) it appears the problem may have been fixed. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the helpful hints.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The dealer thinks they have found & fixed the problem(s). After performing "IPC and HVAC module program updates" the problem persisted. Digging deeper they "found poor terminal connection at connector X1 at A20 module". They "R&R the connector and reseated all terminals properly. Applied dielectric to terminals and reconnected into module". (So far) it appears the problem may have been fixed. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the helpful hints.
Glad to hear they found (hopefully) the solution. Intermittent electronic problems are very frustrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem has returned. I have only driven about 100 miles since the last "repair". This time the problem occurred when I started the car rather than while driving. Of course this happened at 9:00 at night when no dealers were open. After sitting overnight the problem went away. The dealer still has the car for troubleshooting but so far cannot duplicate the problem or identify any possible cause.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
The problem has returned. I have only driven about 100 miles since the last "repair". This time the problem occurred when I started the car rather than while driving. Of course this happened at 9:00 at night when no dealers were open. After sitting overnight the problem went away. The dealer still has the car for troubleshooting but so far cannot duplicate the problem or identify any possible cause.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks
Good Afternoon Eskimo,

I can understand your frustrations with this continuous display concern in your Stingray, especially after the several troubleshooting attempts at your dealership. I see that your vehicle is back with the dealer to try some different tactics, but if you would be interested in any additional assistance throughout the process, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

All the best,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Angela, I would definitely like to accept your offer of assistance.

I spoke to my dealer about an hour ago. He reports they have replaced an HVAC module head (?). The first replacement was defective, so they had to get a second replacement. The dealer reports that the 2nd replacement is good, but the problem continues to occur. So they are digging deeper into it.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

How can I contact you to follow up?

Thanks, much.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Angela, I would definitely like to accept your offer of assistance.

I spoke to my dealer about an hour ago. He reports they have replaced an HVAC module head (?). The first replacement was defective, so they had to get a second replacement. The dealer reports that the 2nd replacement is good, but the problem continues to occur. So they are digging deeper into it.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

How can I contact you to follow up?

Thanks, much.
Hi Eskimo,

Thank you for following up with us. We just replied to your private message, so please feel free to touch base with us there when you have a moment.

Best,
Lauren E
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my car back about a week ago and am happy to report that it seems to have been fixed. The dealer wound up having to replace the HVAC control module, radio screen display module and passenger side aux control module. I've driven on several short trips for a total of about 200 miles and all seems to be working.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Glad your dream machine is all
fixed!

·
Administrator
17,102 Posts
So was this resolution under warranty? I'm currently having the same issue.
Welcome to our forum. You don't indicate the year of manufacture of your C7. If it is still under warranty, there are a number of related TSBs depending on your specific issues. Again if under warranty, the procedure has typically been to first try the relevant software updates, and if that fails to resolve the issue(s), replace the unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.