Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the climate control is on, while traveling at slow speed (25 mph or less), I hear a fan whine. Although I don't believe it is the alternator, it sounds like alternator noise coming through electronics. The pitch of the whine changes with engine RPM. Shut off climate control and it stops. Still present with radio off. Not a high pitch whine, more of a medium pitch.

I have not done much else to investigate. I need to see if it present only when A/C running....and also see if I can further isolate it.

Confusing because I would assume the climate fan speed is not be modified by engine rpm. The airflow doesn't indicate such.

Thoughts?

2LT, Z51

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
What about running the fan with the engine off? If nothing, I bet its the alternator as at low rpm with A/C on the alternator is receiving a heavy load that may translate into a whine. Interior fan speed is not be affected by engine rpm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll do some more testing. I'm wondering if it's coming from the alternator itself or through the audio system...strange to hear it when the audio system is off though.

I have an injury that prevents me from doing much more than driving for a while....was wondering if anyone else has this noise.

Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'll do some more testing. I'm wondering if it's coming from the alternator itself or through the audio system...strange to hear it when the audio system is off though.

I have an injury that prevents me from doing much more than driving for a while....was wondering if anyone else has this noise.

Thanks
sometimes the amplifiers are still powered up when the system is turned off. Could be noise from the alternator, and you just need a isolator installed to the positive cable to the amplifiers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My does it too.

Kind of a whining/groaning sound.

It's actually the A/C compressor making the noise, and the harmonics of it goes straight through the dash and in the car. Either that, or the bearing of one of the pulleys making noise, but only when the A/C compressor puts a load on the belt.

Took it to the dealer and they could not hear it from outside, but once inside they heard it.

I am going back to them when it gets warmer out and the noise is louder. Since A/C otherwise works fine, they said they will have to open a ticket on it and investigate further.

Sound like your same problem?

·
Registered
137 Posts
My does it too.

Kind of a whining/groaning sound.

It's actually the A/C compressor making the noise, and the harmonics of it goes straight through the dash and in the car. Either that, or the bearing of one of the pulleys making noise, but only when the A/C compressor puts a load on the belt.

Took it to the dealer and they could not hear it from outside, but once inside they heard it.

I am going back to them when it gets warmer out and the noise is louder. Since A/C otherwise works fine, they said they will have to open a ticket on it and investigate further.

Sound like your same problem?
I have this same noise. Noticed it today only when it was 92 degrees outside. Funny. I only hear it when AC is on but only during certain times when the AC is on. So if I have it on full blast and it is trying to keep the temp but it is really hot out. If I have the fan speed set on low it won't really come on often but if I set to high and the noise comes around and them I turn it down to two light notches, the noise remains. Can't tell if it is alternator or compressor or belt. If I turn AC off, noise goes away.

Anyone else noticing this besides us? Thx

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the whine also when I turn the AC on. It is not a belt or bearing noise. It reminds more of a fluid flow whistle. It is a higher pitch sound than the air blowing into the car through the AC vents. I recorded the sound on my cell phone. I will be taking my C7 for its first oil change in a week or so and see what the service mechanic thinks. The whine/whistle is so annoying I'm keeping the AC off and the weather is starting to get hot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok.. Have to revive this thread to see if anyone has had this fixed. Temps are warming and I've been running AC and I have this same noise.

Anyone have any updates?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts