Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious whether forum members can provide insight to a noise I'm getting only when the engine shuts off. It sounds like coming from generally near the flywheel housing. At first I thought it might be loose exhaust parts since it sounds tinny but nothing seems moving.

Does not occur at start or driving.

2015 Z51 A8
102k miles

·
Administrator
17,418 Posts
A video/audio of the issue might help the armchair mechanics out here ;)

·
Administrator
17,418 Posts
OK, haven't heard that before. Sorry. Hopefully one of our members will have some related thoughts.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
It seems as if the noise coincides with the bottom of the oil filter vibrating. If so, then that noise would have to be somewhere in the engine which can affect oil pressure.

I am sorry, but that neither sounds good, nor looks good, to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just my thoughts, I sounds mechanical and might be driven by the engine shutter. I hear a slight sound similar when it starts. You might look at the starter ring gear or starter. I don't see too much shutter so engine mounts are likely ok. Could be a heat shield or a valve in the exhaust system doing the rattle. OR something else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just my thoughts, I sounds mechanical and might be driven by the engine shutter. I hear a slight sound similar when it starts. You might look at the starter ring gear or starter. I don't see too much shutter so engine mounts are likely ok. Could be a heat shield or a valve in the exhaust system doing the rattle. OR something else.
My thought has been toward heat shield/exhaust but I have not been able to locate. A mechanic (?) said it sounds like u joints failing - but of course the driveshaft on a 'vette does not have u-joints and it does not seem like anything in the driveline/torque tube would have a light metallic ring like this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting. It sounds mechanical and with 102K miles there are a couple of things that come to mind. First is excess oil pressure in the dry sump system. I believe there is some type of pressure relief/control in the dry sump system. Not for certain but this is my first thought. The other is timing chain lash which is my guess. Timing chain tensioner and/or timing timing is loose and slaps against cover when the torgue is removed. If you want to play car Dr. get a stethoscope from your car they are like $10 on Amazon and just listen to around until you find. Common sense here please. There are moving parts involved so be careful... Let us know what you find out.

Body jewelry Eyewear Bicycle part Earrings Jewellery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts