Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everyone's clutch feel out there? I have a 2016 and it seems that the clutch has a very small friction point. I'm already used to it but asking because my wife is used to her car which has a very wide friction point which makes it easier for her to start off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 feels the same way. It certainly has a shorter/sharper engagement point than other cars I've had. I wouldn't say it's overly grabby, though. It just takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Mine feels fine with a reasonable friction zone.

It's all relative, My Volvo V70R was a toggle switch, almost everyone at the dealership stalled it at least once. My Porsche was ridiculously long for a sports car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree, my s2000 was much longer. It took me a few weeks to get used to but now I enjoy the positive solid takeup and it feels natural.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with vy427. The clutch is way different than the c6 and c5 I had before the 2016 I have now. Have about 900 miles on it and still not totally used to it. But it does not matter. This car is great

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
How is everyone's clutch feel out there? I have a 2016 and it seems that the clutch has a very small friction point. I'm already used to it but asking because my wife is used to her car which has a very wide friction point which makes it easier for her to start off.
Ever type car is a bit different re engagement point. Compared to my C6, this twin clutch disk clutch is easier to operate but different. While she is getting used to it, do what some others have found is easier, start in 2nd. I've done it to try and it does make starting somewhat easier. Mine is a Z51 so the low ratio 1st is more than needed for a smooth casual start. 2nd is fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Try an idle rollout, no throttle. Have to be careful not to stall, but should help you acclimate to the clutch quickly. Something I was taught over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Certainly short and crisp but you get the feel of where it engages with time. I still bog trying to ease out sometimes but i can just pretend I just bought the car. ;)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Just need to give it more throttle!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm getting used to my 2016 but it has taken some time. I've developed the habit of tapping the throttled to raise the revs a tiny bit before I start. Not sure it's a great habit but it helps me feel more confident with a smooth start. Anyway, both the car and I are getting used to each with each passing hour. The beginning of a beautiful friendship

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm getting used to my 2016 but it has taken some time. I've developed the habit of tapping the throttled to raise the revs a tiny bit before I start. Not sure it's a great habit but it helps me feel more confident with a smooth start. Anyway, both the car and I are getting used to each with each passing hour. The beginning of a beautiful friendship
I also tap the gas just a bit before starting to roll.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Reverse seems to be a bit grabby for me... maybe because im always trying to ease it out of blind spots, or inclines. If you don't give it enough throttle and it tends to bog down a bit. All in all just have to get used to how much clutch vs throttle she needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a ‘16 Z06 and the clutch pedal sits halfway to the floor when the car is hot and on hot says. I’m in FL so temps get pretty extreme, but still think there is something not right about the clutch pedal falling to the floor. When the car is cold, it sits up and engages where it should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a ‘16 Z06 and the clutch pedal sits halfway to the floor when the car is hot and on hot says. I’m in FL so temps get pretty extreme, but still think there is something not right about the clutch pedal falling to the floor. When the car is cold, it sits up and engages where it should.
I'm in south fl, as well and havent experienced this. As others have said, it def has a different feel than my c6's did, and it has taken me awhile to get used to it, but mine has never sat low. Have you checked the fluid to make sure it's not low?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reverse seems to be a bit grabby for me... maybe because im always trying to ease it out of blind spots, or inclines. If you don't give it enough throttle and it tends to bog down a bit. All in all just have to get used to how much clutch vs throttle she needs.
Mine seems to like to pop out of first occasionally, even with an MGW shifter which I find irritating considering my c6's did the same thing. I've kind of gotten used to watching for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,307 Posts
It is not normal for it to pop out of first with or without an MGW shifter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had it checked out a few times at the dealer. It doesn’t do it when moving; for example, I’ll pop it in neutral at a light and then in first when the light turns green - start letting out in the clutch and it’ll occasionally pop back into neutral as if 1st wasn’t fully engaged.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the exact same issue. Corvette technician could not reproduce the problem after a couple of days of test drives. We decided to flush and replace the clutch hydraulic fluid (28,000 miles on the car and due at recommenced at 40,000 anyway). This fixed the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts