Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014, base model, 2LT, manual transmission Corvette with 36,000 miles, and have been experiencing an very intermittent clutch problem for about the last 10,000 miles. The car is a daily driver and some days I get a short high pitch groan just as I let out the clutch to start up in first gear (also sometimes shifting to second). On the days it decides to make the little groan it is fairly consistent, but if I drive for more than about 15 minutes, it goes away and does not happen again. It will also occasionally make the same noise as I let out the clutch in a down shift. It is so intermittent that it is not very likely that I would be able to demonstrate it to my dealer, especially since he is more than a 15 minutes drive away. I can not find any correlation to any particular driving condition, only that it occurs as the clutch is engaging. Just this week, it happened consistently while running errands on Monday, but did not happen at all on two short driving trips on Tuesday. In August, we did a 6050 mile driving trip out West and never once experienced the problem. Before the trip West, I discussed the problem with the service manager at my dealer but he had not heard of any similar issue. Of course I could not reproduce the noise for him but he did make a note in my service record of my complaint and my mileage at that time. I would certainly be interested if anyone has ideas what might be going on. Otherwise, the car runs fine, it just decides to put out that little groan when it feels like it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a 2014, base model, 2LT, manual transmission Corvette with 36,000 miles, and have been experiencing an very intermittent clutch problem for about the last 10,000 miles. The car is a daily driver and some days I get a short high pitch groan just as I let out the clutch to start up in first gear (also sometimes shifting to second). On the days it decides to make the little groan it is fairly consistent, but if I drive for more than about 15 minutes, it goes away and does not happen again. It will also occasionally make the same noise as I let out the clutch in a down shift. It is so intermittent that it is not very likely that I would be able to demonstrate it to my dealer, especially since he is more than a 15 minutes drive away. I can not find any correlation to any particular driving condition, only that it occurs as the clutch is engaging. Just this week, it happened consistently while running errands on Monday, but did not happen at all on two short driving trips on Tuesday. In August, we did a 6050 mile driving trip out West and never once experienced the problem. Before the trip West, I discussed the problem with the service manager at my dealer but he had not heard of any similar issue. Of course I could not reproduce the noise for him but he did make a note in my service record of my complaint and my mileage at that time. I would certainly be interested if anyone has ideas what might be going on. Otherwise, the car runs fine, it just decides to put out that little groan when it feels like it.
Too bad you didn't take action 10,000 miles back, when the warranty was still in effect.
:cool:

·
18,667 Posts
Sounds like you already checked this out, but a huge percentage of clutch noises are when the rod behind the pedal goes through a rubberlike bellow as it goes through the firewall. If you car is off, and you press the clutch pedal, or better yet have someone else do it while your ear is under the dash, do you hear a similar sound? If so, a touch of lithium or Teflon grease will help it go away.

If not, do the same thing with your ear in the engine compartment near the firewall, and check out if you are hearing it there, and again, if so, perhaps a touch of lube.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a similar sound that just started happening.. It seems to only happen on a hill start when the hill hold is active. I would also describe it as a groan. I have 3500 miles on the car and it just started. Have an appointment next week to check it out. My sound seems to be coming from the rear end

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hows the "groan?" I have a 2105 car with 11K miles and it just started making that groan noise. Extremely intermittent, exactly how it is described in first post. Just wondering how yours is going- any more frequency?

·
Administrator
15,036 Posts
Welcome to our forum JackF14. Sorry to read about your 'groan.' Two suggestions, first try John's idea of touch of lithium or Teflon grease, and second, try to use your cell phone to video/record the noise so you can share it with your dealer.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The groan or moan has happened to me a total of five times. Four of which were starting in first gear at the end of an exit ramp after driving at HW speeds for more than 100 miles. The only other time (the first time) was at a red light on a rainy day just after the 500mile oil change. The nature of the symptom in this daily-driver is so infrequent (and there is better than 20K on the clock), it becomes unresolvable.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/c7-general-discussion/12461-video-clutch-chatter-whine-deal-says-normal.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still occasionally have the groan starting out in first and sometimes down shifting. Now have just over 55,000 miles. Have never identified the cause. Talked to my dealer service about the pilot bearing issue. Was told it would be a major tear down to check pilot bearing. Getting ready to leave on a six week, 8000 mile road trip from Florida to Oak Harbor, WA (North of Seattle) and back with stops at 10 National Parks, 4 National Monuments, and many other points of interest. Will see how it does with that.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Still occasionally have the groan starting out in first and sometimes down shifting. Now have just over 55,000 miles. Have never identified the cause. Talked to my dealer service about the pilot bearing issue. Was told it would be a major tear down to check pilot bearing. Getting ready to leave on a six week, 8000 mile road trip from Florida to Oak Harbor, WA (North of Seattle) and back with stops at 10 National Parks, 4 National Monuments, and many other points of interest. Will see how it does with that.
Jim, looking forward to your trip stories and pictures. Have a blast and be safe while you wheel your C7 Masterpiece across the good ole USA!!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have this same 'groan/moan' occurring on my 2015 M7 as I release the clutch in 1st gear from a stop. I'm currently at 20k miles but have had this occur a few times since it was brand new. Dealer could not replicate and blew it off until it became more of an issue.

While intermittent, it has become more frequent as it happened again this morning and twice last week, and a couple times over the past couple months. I spoke to dealer again last week and still nothing they will do to investigate under warranty until it finally breaks enough they can reproduce it. So their advice was to drive it until it finally breaks down. Which is a crappy approach to what is supposed to be Chevrolet's flagship product. but it is what it is.

Has anyone had the 'groan/moan' finally diagnosed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this same 'groan/moan' occurring on my 2015 M7 as I release the clutch in 1st gear from a stop. I'm currently at 20k miles but have had this occur a few times since it was brand new. Dealer could not replicate and blew it off until it became more of an issue.

While intermittent, it has become more frequent as it happened again this morning and twice last week, and a couple times over the past couple months. I spoke to dealer again last week and still nothing they will do to investigate under warranty until it finally breaks enough they can reproduce it. So their advice was to drive it until it finally breaks down. Which is a crappy approach to what is supposed to be Chevrolet's flagship product. but it is what it is.

Has anyone had the 'groan/moan' finally diagnosed?
Any further info on this? I recently purchased a 2014 Stingray Z51 M7 and have noticed this noise intermittently. It does not sound healthy, but only happens occasionally. Any suggestions are appreciated. There seems to be enough references to this issues on Google that somebody would have figured it out by now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Is it this noise? My car has been doing it randomly for 6+ months. More often than not after its has sat around for a day or so with no driving. You can hear it 6 or so times in the video. I don't recall at what times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it this noise? My car has been doing it randomly for 6+ months. More often than not after its has sat around for a day or so with no driving. You can hear it 6 or so times in the video. I don't recall at what times.

Very, very similar to the noise in question. In your vid I heard it 3 times, at approximately 4:03, 6:16, and at the very end, all when proceeding from a stop. Ever get it figured out?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Very, very similar to the noise in question. In your vid I heard it 3 times, at approximately 4:03, 6:16, and at the very end, all when proceeding from a stop. Ever get it figured out?
Nope. Been randomly occurring for 7K miles. Took to dealer and wasn’t obvious to them. Don’t want them ripping into drivetrain (if needed) until it’s more repeatable.
One odd thing is it happens a lot in the exact same spot,pulling into my driveway. I wonder if the frame getting tweaked aggravates it (is basically a torque applied to torque tube and such). Or, I let pet it the clutch a certain way when creeping into driveway entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for getting back so promptly. I've been doing some Googling on the issue and have found several mentions of the issue but as yet have seen no mention of a diagnosis. I'll post up if I come across an answer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts