Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2014, base model, 2LT, manual transmission Corvette with 36,000 miles, and have been experiencing an very intermittent clutch problem for about the last 10,000 miles. The car is a daily driver and some days I get a short high pitch groan just as I let out the clutch to start up in first gear (also sometimes shifting to second). On the days it decides to make the little groan it is fairly consistent, but if I drive for more than about 15 minutes, it goes away and does not happen again. It will also occasionally make the same noise as I let out the clutch in a down shift. It is so intermittent that it is not very likely that I would be able to demonstrate it to my dealer, especially since he is more than a 15 minutes drive away. I can not find any correlation to any particular driving condition, only that it occurs as the clutch is engaging. Just this week, it happened consistently while running errands on Monday, but did not happen at all on two short driving trips on Tuesday. In August, we did a 6050 mile driving trip out West and never once experienced the problem. Before the trip West, I discussed the problem with the service manager at my dealer but he had not heard of any similar issue. Of course I could not reproduce the noise for him but he did make a note in my service record of my complaint and my mileage at that time. I would certainly be interested if anyone has ideas what might be going on. Otherwise, the car runs fine, it just decides to put out that little groan when it feels like it.
[/QUOTE

Just read this post. I to have the groan. Did you find a solution. I found that if you shift into first gear using the roll method, meaning lift the clutch slowly with NO gas, once you start rolling then let up on the clutch then give it gas then you will never get the groan. So I thing that eliminates the Clutch from being the problem. More like the drive line.

·
Super Moderator
3,361 Posts
Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
16,221 Posts
Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont feel my groan is a clutch problem. the noise is coming from the rear. only when throwing into first gear if RPMs are below 1500. shifting into first at. 1500 or 2000 RPMs or better no groan. Thinking maybe exhaust system loose valve or some kind of exhaust pipe rubbing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014, base model, 2LT, manual transmission Corvette with 36,000 miles, and have been experiencing an very intermittent clutch problem for about the last 10,000 miles. The car is a daily driver and some days I get a short high pitch groan just as I let out the clutch to start up in first gear (also sometimes shifting to second). On the days it decides to make the little groan it is fairly consistent, but if I drive for more than about 15 minutes, it goes away and does not happen again. It will also occasionally make the same noise as I let out the clutch in a down shift. It is so intermittent that it is not very likely that I would be able to demonstrate it to my dealer, especially since he is more than a 15 minutes drive away. I can not find any correlation to any particular driving condition, only that it occurs as the clutch is engaging. Just this week, it happened consistently while running errands on Monday, but did not happen at all on two short driving trips on Tuesday. In August, we did a 6050 mile driving trip out West and never once experienced the problem. Before the trip West, I discussed the problem with the service manager at my dealer but he had not heard of any similar issue. Of course I could not reproduce the noise for him but he did make a note in my service record of my complaint and my mileage at that time. I would certainly be interested if anyone has ideas what might be going on. Otherwise, the car runs fine, it just decides to put out that little groan when it feels like it.
I have a 2015 stingray, same problem. I also am experiencing a vibration when letting out the cluch, from 1st gear. Of course it won't do it at the dealer. I had a 300zx same problem, I had to replace the cluch, whole thing, but it will not do it at the dealer.

·
Administrator
16,221 Posts
Welcome to our forum Corvette2015$$.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2015 stingray, same problem. I also am experiencing a vibration when letting out the cluch, from 1st gear. Of course it won't do it at the dealer. I had a 300zx same problem, I had to replace the cluch, whole thing, but it will not do it at the dealer.
Well I found out if I bring up my RPMs a little more before shifting into 1st goan is gone. Maybe I was not shifting correctly. I find shifting a C7 a little bit different from my C6. If I had to guess I would say it is a bad baffle in one of the exhausts rather than my clutch but that is just a guess.. I have a 2016 never could duplicate it at the dealer and it has never gotten worse so in a few months it is C8 time for me so that's it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Have you tried turning on Rev match? I toggle this ON ever time i get the engine warmed up... (prevents accidental over-revving on a cold engine... and yes it will, trust me!)

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried turning on Rev match? I toggle this ON ever time i get the engine warmed up... (prevents accidental over-revving on a cold engine... and yes it will, trust me!)
Will give it a try Thanks..but when I say I bring the RPMs up before shifting into 1st from a dead stop I am talking about 1500 thats it

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ok so rev match won't do anything from a dead stop obviously... Not sure what you mean bringing up the RPMs before shifting into first.. generally the car is at idle RPM at a dead stop when shifting to first then applying gas... are you saying you just need to add more gas quicker to accelerate? I do tend to wind out my shifts farther than i "need" to... u can go way past 1500 in 1st in this case... perhaps the engine is just lugging too much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok so rev match won't do anything from a dead stop obviously... Not sure what you mean bringing up the RPMs before shifting into first.. generally the car is at idle RPM at a dead stop when shifting to first then applying gas... are you saying you just need to add more gas quicker to accelerate? I do tend to wind out my shifts farther than i "need" to... u can go way past 1500 in 1st in this case... perhaps the engine is just lugging too much?
Ok maybe I am not saying it correctly.. Two ways to go into first gear from a dead stop.. #1 lift clutch peddle slightly no gas let car roll as it picks up speed bring clutch peddle all the way up. This takes time but some people like to do it that way. #2 My way. I push clutch peddle in shift into 1st then give it gas up to approx 1500 RPMs then bring clutch peddle all the way up and go. That way never the intermittent groan noise. Maybe before I was shifting without enough gas. But groan was not a lugging type noise.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Gotcha. Everyone sort of has their own technique. Not saying mine is 100% correct but i usually lift the clutch just enough to feel the engine "bite" then add gas and lift the clutch mostly simultaneously... then hit the gas pretty good until maybe 20-25mph. (past where the car recommends a 1-4 shift). i do understand both ways of doing it. I haven't experienced any sort of noises. Good luck.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts