Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it ever gets above freezing here, I'll sit in the car and go through the settings and such.
Maybe I can get to drive it in a few weeks.
Hi CruznCorvette,
I live in NJ just about 8 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and this morning at 11am it was 32 degrees. I took her out for spin and she handles just fine! But the worst part was she had to wait outside overnight last night, in 15 degrees, her first night home! Still prepping garage for her.

Sounds kinda weird calling my new baby a she & her! Hmmm

Barb
AW, jet black int., 2LT, carbon flash hood stinger stripe & spoiler, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, red calipers, chrome 5 spoke, performance exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Barb, be careful. The tire compounds get hard and brittle at low temperatures. GM says to not roll the tires until after they have been above 40 degrees for at least 24 hours, or they may crack. Maybe you have already replaced the factory tires will all season or winter tires?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Barb, be careful. The tire compounds get hard and brittle at low temperatures. GM says to not roll the tires until after they have been above 40 degrees for at least 24 hours, or they may crack. Maybe you have already replaced the factory tires will all season or winter tires?
No I have not, I did look into it, but I did purchase the wheel and tire warranty. Thanks to reading the info on this forum! My dealer said that I should be fine..... BUT..... Not going to take any chances!

Barb
AW, jet black int., 2LT, carbon flash hood stinger stripe & spoiler, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, red calipers, chrome 5 spoke, performance exhaust.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I think the tires cracking is a bit more forum phobia......aren't they delivering cars from the museum every day in dec/jan/February.....would they let them do that if they were a flower frozen in nitrogen type cracking?

Many have reported driving home in 15 degrees with no problem.....the fear pic put here and other Forms of the tires that are all cracked , digging deeper , shows that it was about -25°F or so in Canada…

Certainly drive carefully , but I wouldn't have any problem driving the car and 15°f or above

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I read that too, about being in -25 degrees in Canada!

Barb

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the tires cracking is a bit more forum phobia......aren't they delivering cars from the museum every day in dec/jan/February.....would they let them do that if they were a flower frozen in nitrogen type cracking?

Many have reported driving home in 15 degrees with no problem.....the fear pic put here and other Forms of the tires that are all cracked , digging deeper , shows that it was about -25°F or so in Canada…

Certainly drive carefully , but I wouldn't have any problem driving the car and 15°f or above
Glen e
Do you feel the same way about the "o" rings on the differential? Should I be concerned? Or wait to see if I end up with an issue? My husband and I own and operate 120 school buses. This polar vortex has wrecked havoc on them, they are diesel though. Just want to do the right thing.

Barb

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Stop reading forums and go have fun, the car is fine and you can drive yourself crazy reading all that is here and other places. Keep reading here and you'll drive your car into a huge ziplock bag and go hide under your bed.

Seriously, if anything was a Major problem you'd read about it here 100 times....look for FREQUENCY of posts on a problem, not each and every one....I have 4500 miles on my car and not a single problem, but I don't drive wearing a stethoscope , I just detail it and have a ball roaring around town.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YAY!!! Great! Thank you! You sound like my husband "stop looking for problems were there aren't any!" I had no problems with my '08 Z06, it was my every day driver. This one will be too, except in snow and ice and maybe rain unless I have to. If I had 2 cars is still choose to drive the Vette, although 4x4 was nice in the snow! lol thanks again

Barb

·
18,670 Posts
Yes, if you bought a car of your dreams, costing between $52,000 and $80,000, and you brought it home and had a problem, even worse two, and you would be rightfully and understandingly upset!!! I too would be very unhappy if that were to occur to me.

At the same time, while forums result in great information sharing and learning, they can breed a disproportionate sense of concern. If a from member reads anywhere on an internet forum, in which a person posted about their StingRay's problem "X", we all naturally tend to get concerned about, "will our StingRay have/develop problem "X?" And, when we read about person #2's post about their StingRay's problem "Y", uh-oh, my car could well have that problem too. Imagine how many different StingRay different problems have been internet posted since September 20th. OMG, might my car end up with a good percentage of them, say have 17 of those 85 different posted problems? OMG, that car is a piece of junk, I can't sleep any more, and I could (as some have done) get myself in such an uproar, that I immediately cancelled my order.

By now you know, you have realized I have written this somewhat "tongue in check." (The number 85 StingRay problems is a made-up number too). And yet, the overall message it also true, that the more we read about real problems someone had, and posted about their StingRay, the more we tend to get worried.

I have four friends who own StingRays, and not a single one has had a problem. They love their cars. Repeat: they all still have a CRUSH on their trouble free StingRays!

Yes, some Stingrays will develop a problem! A few will develop a second problem or a really ugly singular problem. Note that we have TSB section of this forum with five different TSB's. And we have a Problems/Issues section with 17 different threads -- one of which includes cold weather tire issues. And GM still has some software issues to resolve, such as easy/exit entrance of seats, mirror settings, etc on manual transmission cars (and yes, other software updates are needed too).

I hope that StingRay issues continue to become less and less, as they have with cars progressively delivered the last six months. I sure hope you stay on this forum and read and share issues of concern!!!! Also, I hope we all breathe; keep things in perspective; and, enjoy our StingRay's fantastic components and qualities.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Barb,

Enjoy your new Vette.
We received 5 more inches of snow overnight. Plus there is 2-3" of ice and ruts on the streets in my subdivision under the snow.
Plus I'm on a hill.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you.

OH NO!!! That really stinks! Love the pelicans! We are expecting 7-11" tonight into tomorrow, YIKES! So I'm gonna go get some driving in today.

Barb
AW, jet black int., 2LT, manual, carbon flash hood stinger stripe & spoiler, exposed carbon fiber roof panel, red calipers, chrome 5 spoke, performance exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts