Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Below 45 degree but more so below and around 30 degrees I back out of my drive way seems fine. Put it in drive and it bogs down as it goes through the first set of gear then it seems sluggish but responds semi-normal until it warms up completely.

I had this happen on my 2011 Camaro and Chevy bought me some synthetic transmission fluid but it was 80/20 the mechanic said putting a true GM oil in the transmission was important. And for the most part the problem went away on cold days I could still feel it a bit.

My questions are:
1. Do you guys get the same thing in cold weather where the car just bogs down on the first time through the gears in cold temperatures?
2. Would Synthetic transmission fluid help solve the problem or is there already Synthetic in there?
3. Has anyone dealt with this with a Dealer? Mine claims I have to put up with it as this is normal for all the Corvettes and seemed to balk at the idea of driving it in the winter at all.

Sorry forgot to add: 2016 2LT A8

·
Registered
843 Posts
My experience in cold weather is that it had no effect on my transmission. I was in Flagstaff AZ for several days with temperatures at 15 degrees and would drive off each morning without issue in my A8. So I would surmise that something is amiss with your transmission based on my own experience.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,689 Posts
I have not experienced what you have explained and I have driven in the mid 20° ranges. My rule of thumb for cold weather warm up, is wait until the engine temp is past 100° before hitting the road.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't let it warm up for too long before driving, but I also don't start off in first (A6) until the trans. fluid is over 100. I take it easy on the throttle, and don't downshift until the trans fluid is over 100.

This is also helpful when the tires are cold.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I never had that issue up here in Rhode Island. In the cold weather months i let the engine warm up to 150 degrees before i move the car.

·
Registered
896 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
5 minute idle is not a real good idea but if it makes you feel better then do it. Getting to operating temp as fast as possible is the only way to get all of the water out of the motor from condensation. If you have a catch can you would know these things. Brutal the amount of condensation that is present. Sometimes the old ways are best left in the past.

·
Registered
843 Posts
5 minute idle is not a real good idea but if it makes you feel better then do it. Getting to operating temp as fast as possible is the only way to get all of the water out of the motor from condensation. If you have a catch can you would know these things. Brutal the amount of condensation that is present. Sometimes the old ways are best left in the past.
I really have to agree with you. I have done some extensive research on this and it is a fact, not an opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I find this really strange that I have this happening to my Corvette right after I had this with my Camaro.

Chevy Support is opening a ticket for me I think.

Does anyone know if the Corvette comes standard with synthetic transmission oil or regular? If I can put some Synthetic in it and call it a day for this particular problem I would do it. I understand you want to do a full transmission oil change before 20,000 miles on other vehicles if you do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts