Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not order these for my 3LT Cyber Grey.. But I'm liking the way they look. Does anyone know how much to add these to my car now at the dealer??

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be a lot cheaper to just buy brake paint and paint the stock ones you have.
That's a good idea! I wonder if I could do it and make it look decent. (I'm usually not good at that kind of stuff)

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
That's a good idea! I wonder if I could do it and make it look decent. (I'm usually not good at that kind of stuff)

Do a Google search and you should be able to find a number of guides on how to do it. It is not that difficult to do a good job. You will want to locate "Corvette" caliper labels to apply once you have painted your. :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do a Google search and you should be able to find a number of guides on how to do it. It is not that difficult to do a good job. You will want to locate "Corvette" caliper labels to apply once you have painted your. :cool:
Thanks! I should do it...

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah powder coating would be the way to go. You could also do a lot if different colors. I chose the black ones that come standard with the z51 package I like the all blacked out look of rims and calipers.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Powdercoat is a way to go but paint does work well and is easy. Here is a job I did that looks good 18 months later, done with Duplicolor ceramic spray on paint:
flash makes it look orange - it is bright red:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Powdercoat is a way to go but paint does work well and is easy. Here is a job I did that looks good 18 months later, done with Duplicolor ceramic spray on paint:
flash makes it look orange - it is bright red:
Wow. That looks great! I don't think I'd want to try and do it myself and mess it up. I guess I could try and get a body shop to do it...

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Wow. That looks great! I don't think I'd want to try and do it myself and mess it up.
so don't mess it up!, LOL.....practice on another part and learn to spray via Google - it's very easy and I am not talented in this area.....and now i spray like a pro...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did mine on my Boxster. I didn't even take them off the car. Worked well. I purchased VHT (very high temp) caliper paint (Red, White and Clear) and did them in my driveway. Took about 8 hours I suppose. Turned out good. That was two years ago and they still look like new. The car has been washed and dirtied hundreds of times since then.

Before;
IMG_6860.JPG

Clean well, get all debris off and rough the surface so the paint sticks well. Mask anything around you don't want to be red.

IMG_6824.JPG

I didn't like the stickers look, so I scoured the internet and found a guy on EBay that sold high quality stencils. Very important to place these perfectly, you will have to live with whatever you do.

IMG_6838.JPG

Stencil placement. Make sure the red is dry. I put a fan on it and it was about 80 degrees out so it dried pretty fast

IMG_6825.JPG

Painted the white. Went with two coats because I was worried about buildup affecting the removal of the stencils. It covered well.

IMG_6828.JPG

Continued below (I could only upload 5 pics at a time).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! That is some great info and effort! Thank you for taking the time to load the pics etc... I might just attempt it now.. ?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Honestly, I'd have them done right.
Mike the Powdercoater is very well regarding in the community and he's a real nice guy.

THEPOWDERCOATER.COM | Gallery - Brakes

S.
S. I checked out the link, but did not see any pricing. Also it seems there would be a great deal of work required to remove, ship, re-install then bleed the system. Understand this is from the perspective of someone who is not well versed in the "know how" of bleeding brakes or associated work of that nature.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
so don't mess it up!, LOL.....practice on another part and learn to spray via Google - it's very easy and I am not talented in this area.....and now i spray like a pro...
I was concerned with messing up too, so I used their brush on product. It was OK, but not great, as it has tendency to flake & peel when cleaned.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did not order these for my 3LT Cyber Grey.. But I'm liking the way they look. Does anyone know how much to add these to my car now at the dealer??
A C6 owner nearby showed me his painted calipers and I guessed they were factory. He said no and claimed it was easy to do, so come spring, I'm going to try it. $600 plus tax just seemed to high. Just be sure to use heat resistant paint and take your time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A C6 owner nearby showed me his painted calipers and I guessed they were factory. He said no and claimed it was easy to do, so come spring, I'm going to try it. $600 plus tax just seemed to high. Just be sure to use heat resistant paint and take your time.
Thanks for the info... I do kind of wonder what the dealer would charge to just buy the OEM product... It was $595 as a option...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts