Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Courtesy of GM Authority by Jonathan Lopez

Competition Carbon Shows Off New C8 Corvette Body Kit

With aggressive lines and balanced mid-engine proportions, the C8 Corvette is a looker right from the factory. But, per tradition, the tuners out there have their own vision for the latest eighth-gen sports car. That includes Competition Carbon, which recently posted these enticing new images of the upcoming C8RR roadster/spyder body kit.

For now, Competition Carbon only offers aero kits and body components for the C7-generation Chevrolet Corvette, including widebody applications, wings, bumpers, hoods and the like. The company currently doesn’t offer anything for the C8 Corvette, but it looks like that will change with the upcoming C8RR roadster/spyder.

Based on the C8 Corvette hardtop convertible, the new Competition Carbon body kit transforms the Chevy with even more aggression. The new lines lend the Vette a kind of European exotic vibe, which will no doubt fit the tastes of some owners better than the stock appearance.

Up front, the C8 Corvette C8RR roadster/spyder was reshaped with a new bumper that deletes the stock headlamps in favor of center-mounted, rounded lamps, as well as a pronounced lower splitter element. The hood also gets extra venting, leading the eye rearwards towards the flared fenders.

The profile incorporates a hard triangular shape for the side intakes and rear fender, with more 90-degree angles just ahead of the rear wheels. One of the most attention-grabbing elements is the large snorkel intake placed just above and behind the seats, which is no doubt designed to feed cold air to the engine, while also producing some wild noises for those sitting in the cockpit. Competition Carbon says that the kit will come with a manually attached targa top.

Finally, the rear end appears to come with two triangular-shaped exhaust tips exiting out the top of the rear engine cover, a design also seen on high-end exotics like the Porsche 918 Spyder.

It’s a wild-looking kit, to be sure, and we’re excited to see it added to a real-life C8 Corvette.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
681 Posts
I just looked at this last night. My perspective on the C8 has always been that I like the C8 but don’t love it. However, I love all the renditions of the Z06 that I’ve seen and they invoke the WOW response from me.

053718BB-3357-4AC1-9272-1F5E8573589E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Competition Carbon renderings are not street legal.

Per Title 49. Transportation, Subtitle B. Other Regulations Relating to Transportation, Chapter V. NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, Part 571. FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS, Subpart B. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Section 571.108. Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

Headlights must:
1) Mounting location must be at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, as far apart as practicable
2) Mounting height must be not less than 22 inches or more than 54 inches in height

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
681 Posts
Zymurgy

Thanks for for your technical and automotive expertise! I do think everyone understand that these are renderings only based on the physical dimensions of the test mules that’s being tested and driven on the streets.

Same as with the C8 Stingray, there were the same type of renderings of what the C7 Stingray would look like conceptually based on the test mules which ended up being pretty close but of course not exact based on your comments.

I don’t think anyone suggested that renderings are street legal and/or is the actual car. However, I wouldn’t doubt that the actual Z06 would resemble the various depictions conceptually 75-80% as did the C7.

Am I missing something or were just making the point that the posted illustrations aren’t the actual car because of the technical reasons you cited?

Competition Carbon renderings are not street legal.

Per Title 49. Transportation, Subtitle B. Other Regulations Relating to Transportation, Chapter V. NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, Part 571. FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS, Subpart B. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Section 571.108. Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

Headlights must:
1) Mounting location must be at the same height, symmetrically about the vertical centerline, as far apart as practicable
2) Mounting height must be not less than 22 inches or more than 54 inches in height

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It is not being posted as a Z06, it is being posted as a body kit that one could buy for a C8 Stingray. The fact is that it would be illegal to operate on the street.

Reactions: kgrant (Kyle)
1 - 5 of 5 Posts