Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any long-term success in replacing their console arm rest cover?

I've got the dreaded indentations and am two days past my bumper to bumper warranty. I had the problem in the past, but they always disappeared after it heated up in the sun. The indentations didn't go away the most recent time (after getting it back from the dealership...I suspect whomever drove it to reproduce my issues had a heavier elbow than I did).

Have any of you bought the 'upgraded' Stingray embroidered cover, and if so, does it suffer from the same defect where the foam doesn't return to a flat shape? Also, are some of them real leather? I have the 1LT, and in the case of "Mulan" leather, I suspect Mulan=Vinyl. If I buy "Napa" leather in black, would it be REAL leather, or just matching vinyl? It might be worth it to upgrade to real leather w/ and embroidered Stingray if the arm rest won't get crushed by my elbow...otherwise no way is it worth $250.

Thanks for any/all help/advice!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I can't answer your other questions, but both Mulan and Napa are real leather. But both are also coated in polyurethane for resistance to wear and staining, and ease of cleaning. Except for some high end brands, I think almost all automotive leather upholstery is coated these days.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have one of those Terry cloth type covers on mine and have not had any issue. Pretty inexpensive as well and available in 3 colors. Also throw the Terry cloth seat covers on when traveling (just in case). Available at the usual Corvette accessories vendors.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Mine was replaced but it was early in the warranty period. Had the car 6 months and was driving it a lot. It has wrinkles now but I do not worry about it, car is 4 years old these things happen.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have one of those Terry cloth type covers on mine and have not had any issue. Pretty inexpensive as well and available in 3 colors.
I have the same - about $25, if I recall correctly, and it effectively hides the dimples.

My bigger concern is the door armrest, which now also has notable dimples. The armrest is unfortunately molded into the door trim panel itself, so the entire unit needs replacement (around $500 for a new door trim panel) to just correct the armrest dimples...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My 14 indented and my 17 has the emborder. So my stock 17 is on the for sale page. Charlie aka cutnout

·
Registered
370 Posts
I purchased a new basic one a few months ago because mine had the wrinkle. It is evident they changed something at some point. It is very noticeably much firmer than the original one. Blazing Florida sun with transparent roof and no hint of wrinkles that the original one had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
had the same problem over a year past , wrote to gm and they replaced it after 2 attempts at dealer, dealer insisted that it was my fault because the way I exited the car ??? good luck

·
Registered
835 Posts
My center console and armrest were perfect for 3 years. Then I notice that within a week they were both wrinkled badly. It was because I started using sunscreen sunblock lotion on the back of my arms and elbow area. Be careful with that stuff.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes! Thanks for the warning joemessman! Fortunately (as I'm sure you know after living here) my sunscreen use is limited in Oregon.

I've repaired my console arm rest (for now) by removing it and heating with a heat gun while smoothing out the bumps with my hand. It seems to be holding up OK for the time being, but I'd like to find a long term solution.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 1LT interior and am considering upgrading the seat skins. I'm finding it is correct most interior leather is coated. I have the same console issue and believe it is attributable to needing firmer padding underneath. When I have the seats done they're going to address the console as well. Probably a couple months away but I'll update when done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here are my new genuine leather non perforated non polyurethane coated seats. Love them. As you see, the installer didn't have a console solution I was agreeable to.

Seats 1 (2).jpg
Seats 2 (2).jpg
Seats 3 (2).jpg
Seats 5.jpg
Seats 4.jpg

·
Administrator
15,045 Posts
Looks like the installer did a great job! Enjoy :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts