Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Consumer Reports offers a "Build and Buy" car pricing/buying program to its subscribers. It is supposed to give potential buyers the "right price" to pay for a new car. It further says "you'll know what you should pay before leaving your home or talking to a dealer".

My wife is a subscriber so I used her log-in to check what they say the appropriate price should be for a new C7. I had done this a few months ago and was surprised to see it suggested the appropriate price to pay was above MSRP. From reading much info about pricing on this forum, it is clear to me that nobody should be paying more than MSRP for their new C7. I paid less than MSRP from a medium size local dealer that only gets 10 annual allocations. I should have posted this earlier but I thought it was a temporary thing at the time that would change shortly. However I checked it several times and even today it still suggests the target price for a base model C7 is above MSRP. I haven't seen any other sites like Edmunds etc. suggesting a price above MSRP.

For a new base model C7 it gives a target price of $56,992. It adds a note "Due to limited availability or high demand, the Target Price is above the manufactures suggested retail price of $53,995". The web site is www.ConsumerReports.org/cr/carsavings214. Again, you have to be a subscriber to their magazine.

I was going to offer some comments here regarding this but I think I'll leave it up to Forum members to comment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got a used Premiere Edition with 2,500 miles on it for 69,900. The original buyer left the sales contract in the car.
He paid ~85k for it new. I have seen a lot of new Rays going for MSRP. I have also seen used ones going for ~80K.
I really think it depends on your market. You can search nation wide on cars.com for both used and new to get an idea on pricing in your market.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got a used Premiere Edition with 2,500 miles on it for 69,900. The original buyer left the sales contract in the car.
He paid ~85k for it new. I have seen a lot of new Rays going for MSRP. I have also seen used ones going for ~80K.
I really think it depends on your market. You can search nation wide on cars.com for both used and new to get an idea on pricing in your market.
Well I'm nt looking for pricing info now. I already have my C7. I guess I posted this to alert folks to be careful where they get their pricing info. Again, I don't think anybody should pay more than MSRP for their new C7.

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks Boomer. Very informative info posted!

When there is only an average seven day supply on dealer lots, where 60 days is considered ideal, still constraints in the Z-51 package, etc., Consumers Reports' statement that they are still going for over list, their conclusion not a surprise.

However, we all know that there is currently the option of ordering your "personally customized" Z-51 now, at list, getting it in June, for list at our forum dealer. Let's do the math, pay $5K over and get something somewhat close to what you would have ordered -- probably having and paying for some options you didn't want, versus paying list, even shipping it diagonally cross country for $ 2,750, and still be over $2K ahead.

True, some will pay over list because they have to have it now.

And for those who paid list, wherever you did that, very nice, and consider you car still has great value because of CR's findings. As posted month ago, the StingRay is the fifth best of all 2014's, as far as residual value is considered. Here's that link.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-news/1739-5th-best-residual-value.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts