Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Copy / Paste from the first part of Consumer Reports 2014 Corvette Test,

Full Report will likely be in next edition of Consumer Reports Magazine (?)
You can read the full report here: Car Model Review
I believe you will need to be a subscriber to view it, there's a nice video on the review page

Road Test hatchback 3LT V8 MT
Long known for its panache and sheer brute force, the Corvette has been reborn for 2014 as a lighter, tighter, high-tech sports car. Previous Vettes delivered quick acceleration, but handling wasn't up to that of the Porsche 911 and other European thoroughbreds. The new Corvette has narrowed the gap, with quick reflexes, flat cornering, and less of the nose-heavy sensation of older models. Moreover, gone is the cheap interior of past Vettes, replaced with higher-quality materials and a more refined feel. The new Corvette is a bargain among high-performance cars, delivering ferocious acceleration, precise handling, and excellent braking for thousands of dollars less than competitors such as the 911 and Jaguar F-Type. And the driving experience can be fairly refined or wild, depending on your mood.

Punching the throttle is an eye-opener. The direct-injected 460-hp, 6.2-liter V8 helped it post a blistering 0-to-60-mph acceleration time of 4.3 seconds. From a start, our Stingray shoots forward with seemingly boundless torque and a throaty bark.

Despite its more responsive handling, this is still a wide car that's ultimately more about power than grace; the best place to explore its full potential is on a track. With the driving-mode selector in "Touring," the Vette is a relatively refined cruiser. Ride comfort is tolerable, the steering is light enough for effortless parking, and the restrained exhaust sound lets you tool around without alienating the neighbors.

Dial the selector to "Track" and the steering tightens, the exhaust bellows more intensely, the engine steps up with rev-matching for downshifts, and the stability control loosens its grip, allowing some sideways sliding while still keeping the car on its path. Stability control can be completely switched off, but if you do so you'd better keep your wits about you and have your insurance paid up; going solo without electronic aids can bite you with this car.

"Sport" is an in-between mode that we found suitable for everyday driving.

Braking performance is superb, with the car stopping from 60 mph in a mere 107 feet.

A major improvement in the redesign is the upgraded interior quality. You're treated to comfortable, supportive, and well-tailored seats. The MyLink touch-screen infotainment system lets you access the audio, phone, and navigation functions through simple controls. An optional head-up display can keep you abreast of vitals, such as engine rpm and the gear you're in. And, yes, the instrument panel can display the posted speed limit for the road you're driving on.

The easy-opening rear hatch reveals a modest cargo area that's sufficient for golf clubs or groceries. It's also simple to remove and store the roof panel for some open-air driving.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
This part of the review was lame

Why not buy one:

It's a very wide car, which limits agility.......Really? Did the writer even drive it?
Low stance literally makes access a pain........Uh! It's a SPORTS CAR, deal with it!
Hard riding........good suspension!
Not easy to see out of.........set your side view mirrors to NOT see the side panels!
When you're not listening to the exhaust note, you'll grow weary of the loud cabin noise from the rear hatch.......Not with the Bose 10 speaker system cranked up!
Less restraint with options could result in a Corvette with a rather steep price tag....... oh boo hoo, buy a Civic then

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This part of the review was lame

Why not buy one:

It's a very wide car, which limits agility.......Really? Did the writer even drive it?
Low stance literally makes access a pain........Uh! It's a SPORTS CAR, deal with it!
Hard riding........good suspension!
Not easy to see out of.........set your side view mirrors to NOT see the side panels!
When you're not listening to the exhaust note, you'll grow weary of the loud cabin noise from the rear hatch.......Not with the Bose 10 speaker system cranked up!
Less restraint with options could result in a Corvette with a rather steep price tag....... oh boo hoo, buy a Civic then

Highs:
Acceleration, handling, braking, engine sound, controls, performance for the price, fit and finish.

Lows:
Ride, noise, access, visibility, shifter.

They rated it 92 / 100 overall:

Highest 98 / Lowest 55

Sporty cars CR overall score:

This Model 92 Out of 100

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Least anyone get too exercised about what Consumer Reports feels about our Stingrays keep in mind their orientation and focus is "about consumer demand in the marketplace, and about what our subscribers plan to purchase" according to their documents. My guess is that few potential and/or actual purchasers of the Stingray base their decision on what Consumer Reports writes.:cool:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Least anyone get too exercised about what Consumer Reports feels about our Stingrays keep in mind their orientation and focus is "about consumer demand in the marketplace, and about what our subscribers plan to purchase" according to their documents. My guess is that few potential and/or actual purchasers of the Stingray base their decision on what Consumer Reports writes.:cool:
No doubt! Hell, if they loved it I would have 2nd thoughts about my sanity...... I have never had much if any respect for CR, does it show?

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not the best place to read about performance cars. They didn't even understand some of the technology. Superficial inexpert piece!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Did they test the navigation system??--Bob

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they test the navigation system??--Bob
They did mention the navi system in the review, it was mostly positive.

some of it here:
Electronic connectivity

Initial impressions: Our Corvette has fairly straightforward and relatively easy to use systems. However, one feature we've really grown to like is seeing the state of charge and signal strength of a paired phone. Unfortunately, playing the radio or using the nav screen removes this handy notification.

Otherwise, most testers found that they could navigate the various infotainment choices with little or no stress. And, as with every car, we strongly encourage you to master and practice the features of your car's infotainment system while parked in a secure place. Do not attempt to learn all this stuff on the fly. We didn't.

Music: The Corvette comes standard with Bluetooth streaming audio we well as three months of free XM satellite radio. Hooking up your Android-type phone to the system also gives you a pathway to Pandora -- and it knows your favorite stations. You can also give "thumbs-up" to songs, although the target on the screen is pretty small. Users with iPhones need to tether their device via USB to use Pandora. We often find the "HD" radio feature a pain to live with -- the stations in our neck of the woods constantly jump in and out of HD. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to go into the "audio" page and turn this feature off. It's also easy to access playlists from your phone. We really liked the sound quality of the optional 10-speaker Bose audio system, which could handle lots of volume with little distortion.

Voice command: Hitting the voice command button on the steering wheel and simply saying "Tune radio to channel 100" worked. However, this GM system is not like speaking into your Galaxy or iPhone. While Siri has an answer for you when you say "Find me a Starbucks," the GM system (like most in-car nav systems) doesn't recognize that command. So we broadened the request and said "Find me a coffee shop." What did it produce? The system offered to tune the radio to XM channel 32 -- "The Coffee House." Not what we wanted. So we backtracked and started with saying "navigation" and then "poi" (standing for "points of interest"). Then we said "coffee," which produced a list of coffee spots nearby.

Phone: Using the voice command button and saying the words "pair phone" starts the process -- which is very easy with the on-screen instructions.

Navigation: The system is not all that complicated, made all the easier with its touch screen. Traffic updates with rerouting options is available. Another handy feature is the "weather" display which shows a Doppler map and forecast information.

Electronic amenities: The Corvette comes with an SD card slot, auxiliary outlet and two USB ports inside the covered bin. There's also another USB inside the "stealth" cave (see below).

Power sources: You get one 12-volt outlet under a pop-up cover near the shifter as well as one inside the covered bin.

Other: OnStar equipped vehicles come with six months of free turn-by-turn navigation, automatic crash response, stolen vehicle assistance, and roadside assistance. You can also get the OnStar RemoteLink app which allows you to send driving directions to the car's navigation system, lock or unlock the doors, and remotely start or turn off the car.

Reactions: C7DriverOnt

·
Registered
429 Posts
No doubt! Hell, if they loved it I would have 2nd thoughts about my sanity...... I have never had much if any respect for CR, does it show?
Agree... when I'm thinking of a new Hoover, I'll consult CR... maybe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts