Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Interesting take on the Tesla Model 3 brake software upgrade:

Tesla’s over-the-air brake upgrade was amazing—and also a bit worrying

According to Abuelsamid, conventional car companies spend months carefully calibrating these systems, testing them on a wide variety of surfaces and weather conditions.

"This process often entailed compromises that might trade off one surface a bit to gain some stopping distance or stability on another," he writes. "As we approached a production freeze, we would be battling to cut an extra foot of stopping distance, not 20 feet."

So the fact that Tesla's engineers were able to slash 20 feet (six meters) off of the Model 3's stopping distance after a few days of work suggests that the company had not subjected the brakes to particularly rigorous testing in the months before the Model 3's release.

And that raises questions about whether the brakes might perform poorly in other, more demanding situations, Abuelsamid says.

The fact that Tesla engineers were able to slash nearly 20 feet of stopping distance in a couple of days is a sign that there was something fundamentally broken in what they were doing," Abuelsamid concludes. "Given the speed of this update, it's likely that Tesla hasn't even evaluated those other surfaces yet and this may not be the last braking-related update for the Model 3."
More detail here: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/how-a-software-brake-upgrade-won-tesla-a-consumer-reports-endorsement/

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Yea, I even doubt the 20 feet less by "on-line" adjustment. How the linings doing after that "update"?

"Given the speed of this update, it's likely that Tesla hasn't even evaluated those other surfaces yet and this may not be the last braking-related update for the Model 3."

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just to update... Mr. Musk is looking very much like he is "non compos mentis " in his latest unhinged interview where he was abiding in some doobage. Good thing the other makers are releasing and getting ready to come to market. It is going to get more interesting as the stock continues to tank preventing Tesla from raising capitol required to continue operations. Note I did not say to make a profit but to just keep making payroll and paying the supply chain.

I would be very concerned if I was a Tesla owner right now...…..

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Model 3 is the 5th best selling car in the US for August, more that Audi, BMW, and Mercedes combined (compact sedans). If they continue to make progress in production volumes they may find themselves profitable.
Report: Tesla Model 3 Is Fifth Best-Selling Car of August in the US - The Drive
Yes that news is old. This is one of the fastest self destruction events I have seen even if it was just a paper tiger, since the Dot.Com disaster.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tesla-chief-accounting-officer-leaves-124213201.html

21 - 26 of 26 Posts