Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunately, as we all knew, there was/is no easy solution to the noise levels generated by NCM's Motorsports Park that would be acceptable to some of the Park's neighbors. However, there may be legal, middle of the road options. Below article thanks to the Bowling Green Daily News.

image.jpg

Corvette Blogger said:
Corvette Museum's Attorneys Respond to Motorsports Park Noise Violation

The National Corvette Museum is explaining the steps it plans to take to help cut noise coming from the Motorsports Park.

But will that solution actually work?

The explanation came in a letter dated July 29 from the NCM to the City-County Planning Commission of Warren County.

But while the NCM plan will meet the legal requirements to keep the park open and in compliance with an agreement reached with local officials before the track ever opened, NCM officials point out in their letter they are worried the proposed noise abatement structures would actually be more effective if built in different locations than agreed upon earlier.

Moving the structures to new locations, “regrettably, is not consistent with the binding elements and DDP (detailed development plan) previously adopted and approved,” NCM attorney Charles E. English Jr. said in the letter to Steve Hunter, executive director for the planning commission, Because of noise violations, the NCM has already been issued — and continues to violate — a notice to cease operations issued June 29 by the planning commission.

English maintains the original plan approved in 2014 contained construction of a noise abatement structure on the southern and eastern property line.

But recent monitoring data and analysis by acoustic engineers, the NCM attorney says, show that the noise could be better suppressed by building the structures in different places, such as closer to the track.

No fines have been charged to the museum yet, but residents upset with the NCM’s failure to close have continued to complain, even recently taking their case to the state attorney general.

What’s interesting about the noise complaints is that a 2013 report from Anderson Consulting of Lansing, Mich., concluded that the track when events were being conducted would only increase noise levels by a maximum of seven decibels, an amount not considered to be excessive by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s 2011 Noise Analysis and Abatement Policy, which defines a substantial noise increase “as a 10 db (decibel) or greater increase in noise levels in the design year compared to the existing noise level.”

That report’s conclusions don’t seem to agree with Clark Circle residents, who have complained to officials that they can not hear their TVs inside their homes, even with windows closed, because of the noise generated by the nearby track.

The NCM says it hopes to solve the noise problem by Sept. 29, but the planning commission is still evaluating their letter.

We don’t think this one is close to the finish line yet.

Stay tuned for more details as we likely head around another curve in the coming weeks.
Corvette Museum's Attorneys Respond to Motorsports Park Noise Violation - Corvette: Sales, News & Lifestyle

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hate to sound negative here. I've witnessed air bases and race tracks built out in the middle of nowhere suddenly be surrounded by housing developments where some home owners immediately began complaining about the noise. Either they didn't notice the air bases or they were to stupid to connect the dots when they bought their new home. Either way, the mentality is the rest of the world has to change for them.

In this particular case, it appears the home owners were there first, so we have a problem..... However, the "Building Department" should have caught all this prior to construction when applications for permits were being pulled..... So the county bears part of the responsibility for this dilemma. Not sure if any sound barrier walls are going to help that much. Either way, the museum has gone to a great deal of expense for this new track and the Planning Department might be in line for a major law suit. What puzzles me is the nearby homeowners are usually notified and given an opportunity to file objections to the planning department ahead of time in these cases, so there may have been a breakdown in this case.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe they could just offer the home owners a steep discount to use the track. Even if current home owners aren't interested I would bet their property values would sky rocket to us vette fanatics

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Hate to sound negative here. I've witnessed air bases and race tracks built out in the middle of nowhere suddenly be surrounded by housing developments where some home owners immediately began complaining about the noise. Either they didn't notice the air bases or they were to stupid to connect the dots when they bought their new home. Either way, the mentality is the rest of the world has to change for them.

In this particular case, it appears the home owners were there first, so we have a problem..... However, the "Building Department" should have caught all this prior to construction when applications for permits were being pulled..... So the county bears part of the responsibility for this dilemma. Not sure if any sound barrier walls are going to help that much. Either way, the museum has gone to a great deal of expense for this new track and the Planning Department might be in line for a major law suit. What puzzles me is the nearby homeowners are usually notified and given an opportunity to file objections to the planning department ahead of time in these cases, so there may have been a breakdown in this case.
As per everything documented here they were involved and the plans included noise abatement which the NCM did not do. Not sure why they didn't as part of the initial construction but I believe there was a codicil in the planning approval that stated something to the effect that the noise would be analyzed prior to noise abatement being implemented, which would make sense. But then in another portion of the design approval they specified the type and placement of the noise abatement structures which the NCM is now saying, after having real noise to analyze, would not be adequate so they would like to deploy the noise abatement they believe will resolve the issue but can't because the plans are essentially carved in stone.

Then you add the last comment that real, actual scientific measurements of the current noise does not even rise the the level the KY state's own noise analysis and abatement standards spell out as needing remediation yet the residents complain they can't even watch TV with their doors and windows closed during some events. :confused:

I've seen these types of issues take years to resolve and I've also seen multi million dollar projects be derailed because ONE person decides to go on a crusade. A lot will hinge on the backbone of the government leadership there. At some point they will have to make a decision that guaranteed will not appease everyone. If they pass the buck, refusing to make a decision this could go on for years. As sad as it may sound it's quite possible the motorsports park could get shut down. At which point the lawsuits begin. I just hope the actual Museum's future isn't tied to closely to the NCM Motorsports Park's financials. If it is it could bring down the entire NMC.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's only a few houses. Have they considered buying them out? Paying for noise abatement to be installed on their houses? What about limiting the types of cars that make extreme noise? It seems ridiculous to close such a beautiful track because of a few houses and the noisier cars. I can't imagine my stock C5 or C7 ever making enough noise to even be heard that far away inside a house.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Like Mark indicated, all it takes is One person to decide to go on a crusade..... It's a mentality that exists today and things can get pretty unreasonable insofar as that one person can refuse any and all potential solutions including selling their house to the NCM. It's been taking place for years. We've somehow allowed the vocal few to have more of a voice than the many or majority.

·
Registered
427 Posts
While I have a hard time believing that the noise from the track is so loud that they can't hear their TVs in their home w/ windows closed. I do believe that these issues will will be resolved at some point w/o the motor sports park closing.

Yes, the home owners were there first but maybe if they aren't happy it is time for a change of scenery. I'm sure the home owners loved seeing how much money GM/Chevy is investing into the Bowling Green Community, not to mention the amount of tourism traffic the the NCM brings into town.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Agree with others---not a good outlook for the track there. The more press it gets the faster it will be shut down completely. Not really that big of a deal -- to most people to be honest... People read about this and vast majority will side with the homeowner--maybe out of jealousy.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I seriously doubt it will get shut down but it's odd that it's gotten this far since the park didn't sprout up overnight. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. It is interesting the park is operating in spite of a cease and desist order. Leads me to believe the agency policing this doesn't really have the teeth to enforce it or is on the parks side in the conflict.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's only a few houses. Have they considered buying them out? Paying for noise abatement to be installed on their houses? What about limiting the types of cars that make extreme noise? It seems ridiculous to close such a beautiful track because of a few houses and the noisier cars. I can't imagine my stock C5 or C7 ever making enough noise to even be heard that far away inside a house.
Buy them out, rent to track enthusiast and people waiting on QC.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Then you add the last comment that real, actual scientific measurements of the current noise does not even rise the the level the KY state's own noise analysis and abatement standards spell out as needing remediation yet the residents complain they can't even watch TV with their doors and windows closed during some events. :confused:
I thnk that report was done before the track was built, as part of the planning documents, and that real measurements reflect higher noise levels. Note that the date on the report was in 2013.

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The saga of the NCM Motorsports Park noise violation continues, with the Museum debating whether to pay this most recent $100 fine.

image.jpg

GM Authority said:
Continued drama between the residents of Clark Circle and the National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park has only heightened with the news of a $100 noise violation fine served to the facility. The Bowling Green Daily News reports last Thursday the park was issued the fine by Warren County’s code enforcement officer.

“Enough is enough,” Steve Hunter, executive director of the planning commission, said. “We could have issued the fine in the 25th hour, but we have been trying to work with them.”

The NCM has seven days to request a hearing with the Code Enforcement board, which is expected to take place September 9.

In the meantime, the NCM has been working with sound and acoustic engineers to begin rectifying the noise issues. On July 29, the NCM submitted a letter detailing how the problem will be solved after continued complaints of residents being able to hear engines and tires screeching inside of their homes with televisions on.

“We plan to build a berm,” Charles English Jr., the NCM’s attorney, said. “When we do build something, it will be designed by acoustical engineers and it will have a positive effect.”[/center]

Read more: NCM Fined For Motorsports Park Noise | GM Authority

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm guessing this track wasn't designed and built in a vacuum. I would hope that all the permits were applied for and granted before construction started. If all this is true, where were the complaints then? If there were complaints and they were ignored and the government employees signed the permits in spite of the complaints, then send the notice of fines to the folks who signed those permits and let them pay the fines. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the construction of a race track is going to create some noise, both during construction and for sometime there after.
After, at least 5 years in the process approval has finally been given to build a road course race track about 35 miles from me. Apparently the only restriction is they can't have a Drag Strip? I can't help but wonder if noise complaints will suffice here as well. A race track was built just outside our town which resulted in noise complaints, so the track was shut down, but the owner hadn't bothered to get the necessary approval and permits before he started so he didn't have a leg to stand on when the hammer fell.
I, certainly hope they can work things out at the NCM track. I have been lucky enough to drive on that track and thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm guessing this track wasn't designed and built in a vacuum. I would hope that all the permits were applied for and granted before construction started. If all this is true, where were the complaints then? If there were complaints and they were ignored and the government employees signed the permits in spite of the complaints, then send the notice of fines to the folks who signed those permits and let them pay the fines. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the construction of a race track is going to create some noise, both during construction and for sometime there after.
After, at least 5 years in the process approval has finally been given to build a road course race track about 35 miles from me. Apparently the only restriction is they can't have a Drag Strip? I can't help but wonder if noise complaints will suffice here as well. A race track was built just outside our town which resulted in noise complaints, so the track was shut down, but the owner hadn't bothered to get the necessary approval and permits before he started so he didn't have a leg to stand on when the hammer fell.
I, certainly hope they can work things out at the NCM track. I have been lucky enough to drive on that track and thoroughly enjoyed it.
As part of the approval process noise abatement barriers were in the plan and agreed to but the NCM didn't build them before they opened the track. I haven't seen a definitive explanation as to why they didn't build them but the NCM contends the original design was flawed and are having an acoustical engineering firm study the track and recommend the correct noise abatement which the NCM says they will install.

So, there was a plan, the NCM didn't hold up their end (supposedly because they detected a flaw) and now they are in hot water.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hope it works out, but can you image that thought process in a subdivision with hoa. - I know we agreed on siding but we found a flaw in the color so we are going to leave it house wrap until we can agree on the right color. Lol

·
Registered
335 Posts
So now we know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Here's an article from last week that provides a little background: Enforcement officer fines Motorsports Park for noise | News | bgdailynews.com

As Mark as said, as a part of the approval process an agreement between the county and MSP was reached in February, 2014, that required certain noise abatement structures be in place before the track was to open. The MSP opened in January of this year and even today those mandatory structures are still not in place. I have no idea why the MSP has refused to comply with the terms they agreed to in advance. Now the MSP wants to move the previously agreed to abatement structures. AND the MSP is already under -- and ignoring -- an order to stop operations that goes back several weeks.

So, this is snowballing at this point and it's more than 'a couple homes who have a problem'. A buy-out would quickly involve the entire subdivision (no one wants to be left behind) and could easily cost $25M or more. I'm guessing the MSP will soon be under a mandatory injunction to shut down until the abatement structures they agreed to build before they opened are actually built.

I have yet to read an explanation from the MSP for their non-compliance, although they may have very good reasons. Had the MSP built the agreed upon abate structures they would be in a very different legal posture today even if they were still dealing with subsequent legal issues arising from track noise.

This is starting to sound like it's going to get really expensive very quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So now we know the rest of the story.
Not quite. The actual answer can be found by asking two questions:

1. How much was the budget to build the track?

2. How much was actually spent on the track (to date)?

The answers will astonish you ... it's all about the money.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I say this tongue in cheek....

Maybe they can program a new option for the performance exhaust, the "NCM Park" option....where the exhaust system goes to maximum sound suppression.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
in all seriousness, if the track is only be used for street legal cars (ie no actual race cars) I have a hard time understanding how the noise can be so loud. My Z06 gets loud but not as loud as some of the motorcycles tearing down my street.

I looked at the MSP schedule published online and didn't see any races listed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts