Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery (1-15-2015) of a brand new 2015 Stingray Z51 convertible. Beautiful car. I was showing off the operation of the convertible top to my neighbor and when I wanted to close it, the deck, which covers the stored top, only released on one side and not the other. I guess I will be going back to the dealership tomorrow. However, my top is stored, so the weather better be nice tomorrow! Is there any way I can release the deck manually?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wonder if this an issue related to my problem. I dropped off the car again today and the tech said GM wants him to remove the deck lid and take several measurements. They are thinking something is out of kilter or possibly bent that is causing the problem. They are treating this like it is an issue they are seeing often. Perhaps this is also related to my top slamming down so hard on the header when closing it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it has been resolved. The dealer worked on it for about an hour and I was told that "the latch needed adjusting". I asked if there is anything I should know in case this happened again and I would need to get the top up in case of impending rain or something. I was told that the latch is not "user serviceable", as the mechanic had to remove the trunk liner to get to it. I also asked if there was an "emergency release cable" of some sort to at least get the deck to open, but again, I was told that this is strictly a dealer serviceable issue. Hmmm.... I just hope that this does not start happening too much, as I only had 300 miles on the car when this took place.

By the way, to the person (oaibob) who said that the top slams down hard on the header when it closes, I have the same issue. It surprised me the first time how forceful this thing comes down.

·
Administrator
16,912 Posts
Glad that your dealer got it resolved for you Havingfun and hopefully it was a one time occurrence. Now go out and have some more fun :cool:

Reactions: 53Vette

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I have had fun with Corvettes for 17 years. When I owned a 1996 C4 LT-4 and it was 15 years old, people would still come up to me in the parking lot and comment what a good-looking car that was. What other 15-year old car does that happen with?

By the way, on my new Z51 convertible, it was pretty obvious that I could have done a lot of damage to the mechanics of the top if I hadn't noticed immediately that only one side released. I was sitting in the car when it happened and I stopped the raising of the top immediately when I noticed something was wrong. It already started twisting. Thus, a word of advice.... you better keep an eye on that top and the deck when you raise or lower it.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
By the way, to the person (oaibob) who said that the top slams down hard on the header when it closes, I have the same issue. It surprised me the first time how forceful this thing comes down.
This is at least the third post I've seen about the roof "slamming down" when closing. I feel compelled to say that mine does not do that, lest you think it may be normal. Mine lowers slowly, gently, with remarkable accuracy. Dealers must surely(?) have a way of adjusting this.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Mine has always closed as smooth as silk. No slamming ever. I guess I have been lucky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts