Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, I had my thermostat replaced under warranty. My first indication of a problem was when I began to notice the yellow bars on the outer ring of the tachometer, indicating the engine was below normal temperature. The service ticket notes that when I brought it in, the coolant was only reaching 174°, and that it should be at least 187°. After replacing the thermostat, the coolant maintained 192°.

Now it is happening again. Driving last evening, with an indicated ambient temperature of 93°, the engine heated to 190 briefly, and then settled to 180, which seems to be where it stays nowadays after warming up. If I cruise around town in "ECO" mode, it will start to dip under 175, as it was doing in 2018.

So, if the thermostat is a 187° thermostat, and it is functioning correctly, it should start to close when the coolant falls below that temperature, right? Why is my car running so cool? Am I not driving it hard enough?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 2014 that read 190F when it reached max temperature in all driving conditions. I just got a 2016 and noticed that it's running about 15F cooler and likewise am concerned. This could affect any number of things, including wear, milage and oil degradation by failing to cook of moisture in the crankcase. This appears to be common, but really seek professional response as to this being a problem that needs to be corrected or did GM change thermostats in production.

·
Administrator
15,887 Posts
Welcome with your first post to our forum Frank Jaklic. What version of 2016 do you have? And are you saying that your coolant gauge reads 175 degrees (both on the digital and analog) when your car is at full operating temperature (ie, 20 to 30 minutes into a normal drive)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts