Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 19,800 miles on my 2015 Z51 and I just noticed cord is showing quite abit on the inside front tires, both. Has anyone had this problem, I certainly never heard of anything like that. Thanks Doug

·
Registered
914 Posts
At almost 20K miles on your Z51, of which I am sure you never do any spirited driving on tires that aren't rotated ... nope, never heard of it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Yes, others have reported this due to the track alignment. Once you replace the tires, get an alignment and ask them to dial it down to zero instead of track.

Reactions: HawaiianDrummer

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Did you also read the manual about tire rotation?

·
Registered
656 Posts
At almost 20K miles on your Z51, of which I am sure you never do any spirited driving on tires that aren't rotated ... nope, never heard of it.
The driving obviously wasn't spirited enough, if the tires are worn on the inside, correct?

Did you also read the manual about tire rotation?
You're joking, right? How can you rotate the tires on a Corvette? Do you get the front tires remounted on the front wheels, swapping sides?

Has there been an issue with too much negative camber on the factory alignment? Is this something that needs to be checked early on new cars before the tires wear unevenly? Does the warranty cover alignment costs?...and is zero degrees the proper camber for a street driven C7? I'm used to having at least a degree (usually -1.2 to -1.5) of negative camber on the other cars I've owned, in order for the tires to wear properly. I'm clearly going to have to start researching this if it's a known issue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes you can rotate the tires side too side read manual.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes you can rotate the tires side too side read manual.
Correct, unless you have directional tires, which do NOT come standard on any C7 as far as I know.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Doug,
just replaced my two front, showing cord. See this thread of a few days ago.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...s/42761-i-just-love-replacing-tires-time.html
My first reaction was, "I've never seen tire tread as I always replace them when I see them worn to first tread life indicator." However in that pic the tread and indicators have lots of life left!

I usually wear the outer tread first (fun hi "g" 270 degree favorite off ramp!) But to have the inner tread warn that bad must be a poor or aggressive tracking alignment. I have a Grand Sport on order and while I was not concerned with my 2014 Z51 (I just sold) as tire wear was uniform, I am for the wider GS tires.

Think I'll have the dealer check alignment after 500 miles and if they will agree set at the lowest camber allowed (or slightly lower, will see what they will do.) The spec is -1.2 degrees front and rear but folks with good tire wear say they had it reduced to -0.6 degrees. As I recall, a statement like, "car is pulling to the right" will get a free alignment!

·
Registered
530 Posts
To the OP, there are many threads about wiping out the inside edge of front tire. A lot of Corvettes have too much negative camber straight from the factory, my Z06 included. I told my Service Writer that I wanted to get a "street" alignment when I came in for my 500 mile oil change. The tech said I would have killed the fronts (Cup2's) in 4-5,000 miles. My Writer wrote up the description that I was complaining about the car pulling right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got 30k on the front tires of my Z51. Have been told this was unusual as 20k is the typical life. Found both had worn and showed cord on inside. This is a typical problem on Z51 because of non-rotating. Alignment checks seems to be only way to reduce problem. There seems to be a difference of opinion between what GM specs set out vs what experienced garage men say to set the tire at. Anybody have more info on this?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think I posted to the wrong thread. Please disregard if redundant!

This is why this forum is so helpful. I Just hit 20K and not scheduled for a trip to the dealer until next month. Prior to reading this thread I would have said the fronts look like they would go another 5K.... viewed when pointed straight!. After going through the thread, I got off my fat a** and went to check the tires more closely. After turning the steering wheel lock to lock, the inside tread is clearly more worn then the outside. I'll be lucky to get another 1K on the fronts.

Thanks!

The question now becomes: do I keep the alignment at OEM specs when replacing the tires. I had a similar ware pattern with the C5 Z06 and never varied the alignment from factor specifications. The original Goodyear’s got just under 20K. The best was Bridgestone’s at 25K (Goodyear and Michelin no longer made OEM replacements for the Z06)

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Guys, there is no unique "factory specification" for the alignment. It has rather large allowable ranges (see the +/- tolerances). You could be in the allowable ranges and have a car which drives like junk and destroys the tires. For example, the passenger's side could all be on the upper parts of the allowable ranges, and the driver's side could all be on the lower parts of the allowable ranges.

For what it is worth, here is a table for the allowable ranges. However, you really need to specify exactly where in the range you want your car to be.

The original poster probably has too much negative camber. Even if it is in the allowable range for the camber, it could still wear the insides. To save them, go to a camber setting closer to 0. Note, however, that 0.0 camber for both fronts is not in the allowable range per GM for FE6 and FE7.

Wheel_Alignment_Specifications.jpg

Reactions: Jerry U

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Oh, for what it is worth, I am running -0.5 on the front driver's side, and -0.8 on the front passenger's side for the camber. I maybe should have gone less. I only have four thousand and some miles on them, so it may be too soon to say for sure; nevertheless, the wear did not look bad the last time I looked, but maybe I need to look again, and more closely this time.

By the way, the +0.3 cross camber in the front is intended to fight against that infamous "push to the right" problem that many C7s exhibit.

Reactions: Jerry U

·
Registered
631 Posts
Naturally, there's no way that I could read this thread and Norm's excellent related thread (http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...s/42761-i-just-love-replacing-tires-time.html ) without wondering about my tires. My 2015 Z51 has 9,500 miles of which I've put on the most recent 900 or so. Both front tires look good on the inside edges with plenty of sipe depth remaining. I'll get the alignment checked soon, though, because it does indeed pull to the right a bit. I really noticed this last Saturday during a 300+ mile run through the hills. That'll be a good opportunity to she how t's set up. Given that I'll never see a race track from the driver's seat, I'll follow the advice to keep the camber to the low end of the range. I appreciate all the great information presented here!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Lesson learned and put on new tires and have an alignment performed. May make you feel better but it is not the fault of the Dealer it is the fault of the Owner for not paying attention.. This has been going on for a long time and you just noticed---doubt you will get any relief from the Dealer nor should you imho.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lesson learned and put on new tires and have an alignment performed. May make you feel better but it is not the fault of the Dealer it is the fault of the Owner for not paying attention.. This has been going on for a long time and you just noticed---doubt you will get any relief from the Dealer nor should you imho.
Yea, you're right!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, if the dealer was the mechanic that rotated the tires, and a tire inspection is part of service that was performed, it is partially the fault of the dealer, correct?

Per the owner's manual, the tires should be inspected on a monthly basis. Also per the owner's manual:
"The tires and wheels were aligned
and balanced at the factory to
provide the longest tire life and best
overall performance. Adjustments to
wheel alignment and tire balancing
are not necessary on a regular
basis. Consider an alignment check
if there is unusual tire wear"

In other words, there's some responsibility on GM's part to have provided the original owner with a satisfactory alignment from the factory. It says in their own words that adjustments to wheel alignment is not necessary on a regular basis. The owner shouldn't have to have a new car aligned so that the original set of tires wears properly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts