Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week after a very pleasant 900 mile trip, I started my 2015 C7 Z51 to run an errand. Ruby Too has about 35k miles on her and she is not a DD. Noted a slight miss on start up but it evened out immediately and as my oil life was 19% the car was going to the dealer for service the next week. On the on-ramp to the Interstate I was going to perform the normal Corvette "spirited" acceleration. The engine started missing badly and the following error codes started displaying:
Service Rear Axle​
Service StabiliTrak​
Engine service icon blinking​

I was on the Interstate, error codes were repeating and being dismissed and I watched the normal oil pressure of 35-38 psi go to 55-57 psi.

Drove to the dealer that has performed every maintenance ever done on this car since I bought it new.

I have a new service advisor. When I picked up the car, she told me all of the error codes were a result of a bad coil and a corroded spark plug wire. All of the other coils and wires were ok. There was carbon build up as a result of the ignition issues that resulted in an air intake misting service and direct injection pressure clean. I pressed the SA hard for more details and why the seemingly unrelated error codes thrown. She stood fast..."That's my story and I am sticking to it."

As sophisticated as these beasts are, I just do not understand why the computer threw the error codes that were totally unrelated to the real problem.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Interesting. Are you still running the original battery? A number of members have had strange codes and peculiar issues caused by a weak battery on its last legs. Also, would you mind sharing more about the " air intake misting service and direct injection pressure clean. "? Do you know what they actually did/service performed and if you don't mind, what they charged you for that? Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@jsvette Replaced battery earlier this year.
Re: Air intake misting service; quoting from the invoice:
"KIT#6591 Includes air intake misting service, direct injection pressure clean and fuel system gas tank additive (260x2, 201 and 208). $254.95"

When queried, the SA told me that the bad coil/plug wire caused carbon build in the intake system up from incomplete combustion . I drove about 15 miles, very tentatively, from the time that the engine started missing so I was surprised at "carbon build up". I am a pretty enthusiastic driver so "carbon build up"shouldn't happen.

·
Administrator
15,996 Posts
Interesting, "KIT#6591 Includes air intake misting service, direct injection pressure clean and fuel system gas tank additive (260x2, 201 and 208). $254.95" is a new one on me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts