Stingray Corvette Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
C7 US 3300 Battery Charger

Have issues? Battery went dead while sitting in garage once and hooked up this charger. Worked fine after an 1 HR. Two weeks latter battery goes dead again and I had driven it with in those two weeks. Ok! I plug in the charger and 12 hrs later still showing charge. I disconnect unit and try to jump start off my truck. It clicks a few time than nothing. Battery not taking jump. OK! So I call for road assistant, yes road assistance it free, first guy had no clue and didn't even try to jump start vehicle. Now the second company came out with a portable battery charger great (Im a x mechanic) now he hooked that unit up and still just a few clicks from the starter, so he attached another set of cables of his vehicle and it started. Now he said this was the third Vet he started this day. He says it take up 950 amp to 1000 amp to jump start these batteries. Also that US3300 got very hot while pluged in. I dont if that a problem. The booklet doesn't explain a lot. The power on was lite and the charging process waqs also on for 12 plus 6 hours. Maybe unit is bad?
Haven't heard of a 3300 going bad, but I'm sure it can happen.

You seem confident that the battery is not the issue... why? I had my first battery fail in the first few months of ownership, while the 2nd battery has been good for 2 years now.

Do you have anything plugged-in that would cause parasitic load, like a Range AFM disabler?

·
Registered
868 Posts
These are battery tenders. They are designed to maintain a charge on a healthy battery over a long period of time. The 3300 is not designed to charge a fully discharged battery. Once it's been totally discharged, an auto battery will never be fully healthy again.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
As fdxpilot says, these are float chargers (tenders), intended to maintain a charge. They put out very limited current. One hour might be enough to put a surface charge on the battery to start it once, but it's not going to bring a discharged battery to full charge.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Haven't heard of a 3300 going bad, but I'm sure it can happen.

You seem confident that the battery is not the issue... why? I had my first battery fail in the first few months of ownership, while the 2nd battery has been good for 2 years now.

Do you have anything plugged-in that would cause parasitic load, like a Range AFM disabler
?
Good point about the AFM Disabler. There have been several reports about it possibly draining the battery. Caused me to check on the Current Draw of my Window Valet that is plugged into the OBDII. The President of the company responded and said it was under 100 microamps. To put that in perspective, that = 0.050 milliamps. The steady state current draw in a C7 according to the Service Manual is under 40 milliamps. So it's a 0.1% addition-insignificant. In fact the C7 has enough current draw protection and shuts most power off in 10 minutes even if you leave the hatch open, forget to turn off a map light etc that even with my low voltage battery since new-I never used a charger. Been on vacation at least 3 times in the 3 years I've had my C7 for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks and the car started right up! The car is used at least 3 to 4 times per week and most trips are 40 to 50 miles so it has time to charge the battery. 2 miles trips to the store occasionally won't, so a charger is useful in those cases!

Also the post you referenced said the fellow who started the car indicated the starter required ~1000 amps! Unlikely! (By the way a jump start puts the current directly in the starter NOT anywhere near that amperage into the battery!) In fact the fuse on the power block on the C7 positive battery terminal that goes to the front of the car and no doubt the starter is 350 amps. Perhaps it a slow blow but would expect starter current to be in that range. Wonder if the poster has a bad connection at the starter etc. Maybe that last fellow had a higher voltage jump start device that overcame a voltage drop on a terminal. Just a Thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased a new GM battery tender for my 2014 C-7. This plugs into a 12 volt power point inside the trunk on the right hand side. If the trunk is left open to allow the battery tender to be plugged in, the trunk lights will remain on. How else could the tender be plugged in to avoid this problem?
I lay the charger on a cloth on the front seat and run an extension cord in threw the window I leave down a couple of inches

·
Administrator
15,548 Posts
I lay the charger on a cloth on the front seat and run an extension cord in threw the window I leave down a couple of inches
I'd suggest that you don't leave the charger inside your C7. What I do is attach the CTEK plug to the trunk accessory outlet, bring the cord up past the passenger seat, out the passenger window (lowered about a 1/2 inch) and to an outlet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While on this subject....I have heard from a friend of a person whose Corvette was attached to a battery tender and a power surge fried several systems in the car. After many repairs all the problem have not been fixed. Anyone else heard of the surge problem? Maybe a surge protector would ease that concern? Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
15,548 Posts
While on this subject....I have heard from a friend of a person whose Corvette was attached to a battery tender and a power surge fried several systems in the car. After many repairs all the problem have not been fixed. Anyone else heard of the surge problem? Maybe a surge protector would ease that concern? Any thoughts?
There are so many unknowns/variables in this issue- the type of battery tender (was it a CTEK?), was it a lightning strike, or what caused the power surge? I have not heard of this being a problem prior to your post. I have had my cars on CTEKs going back about 14 or 15 years with no issues, including two lightning strikes that took out a lot of relays and low voltage stuff around our home. [We do now have whole house surge protector in addition to individual surge protectors on some electronic equipment.]

I am sure it is possible.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have read of that as well. In response i have fresh surge protectors in use in all my chargers however my understanding is that this is very minimal protection and in the case of a major heavy strike such as a direct lighting strike or in close proximity it won't help. Just to be safe in the past when the power company is doing work in my area and i am notified i unplug all my power equipment until power has been resumed . Just in case of a surge when they power back up.
I'm afraid all the newer vehicles which are very computer dependent are susceptible to this issue.

Been using this method for many years and have been fortunate enough to never have an issue...(now that i said that I can pretty well assume there will be a power surge soon to teach me a lesson!)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I might add something I was recently made aware of is that surge protectors diminish in protection over time. I was told that there is not real way to how many small surges they get over time and over time they can loose there ability to stop stronger surges. Source was an electrician I had no reason to doubt that is why I try and update them every few years as in the past i have used some that were decades old.
If I am wrong no doubt i will be schooled by those more knowledgeable that I...

81 - 91 of 91 Posts