Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a 20+ year member of the Porsche Club of America, a national club that is very highly organized, I'm having difficulty understanding the club hierarchy within the Corvette ranks.

I found the NCCA along with about 1000 pages of various regional and local clubs. I assume there really isn't any national, officially sponsored association for Corvette owners like there is for Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Harley and others aside from NCCA.

I'm not really a "club" person, from a social perspective. I am not retired, I don't have much interest in cruise in's but I do like to take advantage of organized driving events such as, rallies, auto cross, drivers ed and corrals at national sports car events so I figured I would simply join a national club and be assigned to an affiliate in my local region. After looking through various websites I realize that's not really the way it works as it appears clubs spring up all over the place with little to no organization.

I'm looking for advice and education here. What is the club hierarchy and what's the most active drivers club in the Central Florida coastal region.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There is a well organized and large following of the national Corvette restores society. NCRS. The members are most interested in the C1 through the C4.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is probably not what you want to hear but the vast majority of Corvette Clubs are primarily intended for social functions. People who enjoy Corvettes and having fun.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is probably not what you want to hear but the vast majority of Corvette Clubs are primarily intended for social functions. People who enjoy Corvettes and having fun.
That's what I've discovered and that's fine.

I don't typically join clubs. PCA is the only club I've remained a member of for more than a year or two, mostly because of the driving events. Within PCA are 2 groups of people, those who are regulars at the social functions and those who are regulars at the driving functions with a small subset that cross over. It's all good!

·
18,670 Posts
Corvette clubs are all different. As, last year, I volunteered and made lots of "StingRay Technological Advances And Enjoyable Features" presentations over western Oregon and southern Washington to different Corvette clubs, saw firsthand the differences among the clubs. Summer highly organized, efficient, and conduct almost weekly activities during the non-winter months. Some are traveling and eating clubs social clubs; some have more technical components. Some of I will return too. Everyone is different. To every person who went to one Corvette club meeting and said "yuck, I want nothing to do with Corvette clubs," I encourage that person to try another club in your area, for you could well find that second club, or the third club feels like home. It is simply a matter of finding the one that "fits."

Love our Corvette club; been an involved person for 16 years.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As previously mentioned, the NCRS is a national organization primarily focusing on the restoration of Corvettes. Some of the chapters in NCRS have significant number of members that also own newer Vettes but my exposure has been mostly from a social stand point.

Then there is the National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC), which covers every region of the US. NCCC clubs not only have social functions but also get heavily envolved in car shows and performance events. Each club typically takes on a character of doing certain elements, but not all. I noticed that you are from Ormond Beach. The Florida Region of NCCC is very active in social, shows and performance. The club that I think is closest to you that does a lot of speed events (autocross, high speed, etc.) is the North Florida Corvette Association (NFCA). They are located in Jacksonville but do all of their autocrosses in St. Augustine. They also do a high speed event each year around Thanksgiving at Roebling Road in Georgia. BTW, the NCCC annual convention this year is in Savannah, GA. The high speed events for convention will also be held at RR. Here is a link to the NFCA website for general info and contact information. North Florida Corvette Association

BTW, I am very familiar with the PCA. In fact, before I retired and moved from Maryland to Florida, my NCCC club in MD would have an annual Porsche/Corvette Challenge with the Chesapeake Chapter of PCA and the Bel Air Corvette Club. It was a combined autocross and at the end of the day we would take the top six times for the Porsches and the top six for the Corvettes and then we would run elimination runs kicking out the slowest times for each marque until we got a winner. It used to be great fun. Not sure they do that anymore.

Well, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rick. I found them when I was looking and saw they do a number of autocross events throughout the year. I will check them out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It really depends on the Club - and unfortunately you need to find out from the members. Start by asking about clubs for your area on forums like these. They can vary greatly.

For example, back in '95 I was living in Boston but found out about Corvettes United and Bay State Corvette Club from asking on VetteNet - both clubs out west of Boston. At that time Corvettes United was a rather large club and had a high percentage of waxers versus racers, but the racers were more hard core. Corvettes United held two major events a year - a very popular show and shine and a popular high speed autocross held at Thomson Speedway that all types of cars across New England participated in. The guys in Corvettes United were also the ones who installed my secondary transmission oil cooler and extra large radiator and who 'gifted' me a Porsche silver Boxster VIN so Ronin and I could participate in the Driver Ed events by being a member of PCA.

Bay State Corvette Club was more social, smaller and was predominantly drivers and they at the time ran an enormously popular low speed autocross and often went to Epping to drag race.

So you really just have to find out about your local clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts