Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
18,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We remember when Detroit News speculated about these options and started a contest. Here are the top three contest winners. I, for one, am thankful that IF we have a Corvette SUV down the road, that GM's design will turn out something instead that is stunning.

GM Authority said:
Winners Announced For Corvette SUV Design Contest (By Sean Szymkowski)

IMG_1083.JPG
(Photo: The Detroit News’ Corvette SUV Design Contest)(Photo: The Detroit News’ Corvette SUV Design Contest)
Sponsored Links

It’s a topic that has been explored a couple of times: what if Corvette were to be spun off as its own brand, and what if that brand included a performance SUV?

The Detroit News most recently undertook the idea and asked readers to dream up what a Corvette SUV could potentially look like. Former executives Bob Lutz, Tom Wallace, industry analysts and Corvette owners were all helped gauge the designs and the winners have been announced.

First place is what you see in the lead image. Sharper edges and headlights help the SUV look distinct, but still remain reminiscent of Corvette. “The winner is very modern-looking, and has some nice edges,” said Wallace. “A little work on the lower grille opening would make it the perfect Corvette SUV.”

IMG_1084.JPG
(Photo: The Detroit News’ Corvette SUV Design Contest)

Second place was lauded for showing off three separate views of the proposed Corvette SUV, which the publication effectively named the XC7. It certainly looks like a C7 Corvette collided with an SUV, but judges felt it lacked uniqueness.

“Loved having every view of the Corvette ute including interior,” said Detroit News design chief Jamie Hollar. “Not sure the concept captures Corvette uniqueness as well as the other entries.”

IMG_1085.JPG
(Photo: Rory Williams)

Finally, third place imagined a proper C7 Corvette wagon. Even though the contest called for SUVs, judges couldn’t ignore the expertly crafted rear end. It would likely offer a lot more usability than Callaway’s C7 Corvette AeroWagen.

“We need more wagons with center quad pipes!” said Detroit News auto critic Henry Payne.

What do you think? We doubt a Corvette SUV will ever become a reality, but anyone can dream.
Additional source: Detroit News

Read more: Corvette SUV Design Contest Winners Announced | GM Authority

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Umm, yeah. No.

If GM ever decides to do this, I hope the don't make the Porsche mistake of trying to make everything look like a weird 911.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
A station wagon, I think, is a little different. Station wagons were always modified sedans. But an SUV is really an entire different model.

·
Registered
914 Posts
NO! NO! NO! Please don't go there!!! Did I mention I don't like it?!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Like the idea, but not those designs. I would do it in steps, introduce the wagon first, and see how it goes, then maybe the SUV.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Please please please just leave the Corvette as it is: America's iconic TWO PASSENGER sports car. :triumphant:

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Actually, this rendering looks a bit better IMO than the actual one available aftermarket on the C7

View attachment 276540

Don't forget all the interesting Corvette Station wagons that have appeared over the years--aftermarket ones, but even one in 1954 from GM. Happy they stuck with the two seat concept but times do change. --Bob

·
Registered
487 Posts
I still am under the belief that Corvette Should become a standalone Brand and not just a model. There is a thread that we had a pretty robust discussion on this. My point of view was then when you look at the average age or Porsche owners vs Corvette, the corvette owner average age was higher.

One of the reasons of the younger average age is all of the entry level cars like the boxster that they made affordable to a wider and younger age band who then became loyal as they progressed up through the price continuum as they earning increase with age. The second most important and game-changing thing that Porsche did was Develop the Cayenne SUV, 4-Door AWD drive send in the Panamera and fast forward now the smaller Macan SUV.

The Cayenne SUV went on to become the Highest Volume selling Porsche as well as the most profitable vehicle for the company and now the smaller Macan SUV I believe is the highest selling vehicle and most profitable. Lastly, the profits from the Cayenne and Macan SUV's in which traditionalist thought was Blasphemy to have the Porsche name on a SUV, now those two vehicles drive the overall profits as well as all of the R&D for their sports cars.

I've said and still standby that Corvette should been have become a Brand that represents an entry level sports car, small SUV, Mid Size SUV, Large SUV and four-door sedan and that would provide a Continuum of options that creates brand loyalty and as they grow with a family they can stay in the brand but have options to meet whatever needs that they have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts