Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
If GM or any manufacturer would be fair with their customers they would recognize quickly this sort of big problem!
They would gain much more goodwill than the cost of the repairs they would have to do !

It's a non-sense but quite every time they don't do anything apart in the cases able to involve persons in accidents.

Over here one of my friends and his brother have purchased one '15 Z06 each. They were purchased to be used on the track.
After 2 trackdays they claimed about continuous overheating problems.
GM replied that they had luck : GM performance parts would be quickly available (better fan and new additional radiator if I remember) to solve the problem... My friends replied : Okay ! so you will be able to update our cars ! No, no replied the dealer, you would have to pay for yourselves !!

One of the brothers sold his car immediately and purchased a Porsche GT3, the second one paid a lot the updates to be done and still run on the tracks with 2 spacers to maintain the hood open on 5cm to avoid any bad surprise on hot days.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm not defending GM cause I know it sucks to have a car overheat when ran hard . But to be honest looks like every manufacturer has some kind of overheating issue of some sort... I guess that's what keeps the aftermarket going is with upgrades..
I have own diverse sport cars (atmo and turbo ones) and never seen any having overheating problems on the track or on the road.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Regarding what you say regarding the Porsches under hot tracks temperatures John, I was last Friday at the Imola F1 track

Map Urban design Junction Metropolitan area Aerial photography

Very hard track, flat and hilly... but fantastic!
Naturally I used my C7, one friend came with his C7 Z06 modified with all the cooling updates possible available by GM (all paid by himself !!), his brother who sold his C7 Z06 after 6 month (temps problems on track) and drives now a Porsche GT3 and my son with his atmo but modified S2000.

There were a lot of cars, mainly Porsches.
The temperature was very hot : 99-100 Farenheit degrees.
We had the same temperature last year in Monza and at this level, the engines, the tires...and the guys are extremly sollicited.

Well, at Imola last Friday, after 4-5 hard laps all the cars had their temperatures going upper and upper, mine was staying max. at 3/4 of the full gauge measurements (sorry I don't find the right words) and I was extremly satisfied to say that I didn't had any temp problem (600W ventilator installed)... But in the afternoon, the oil temp was going too high for me: 250 Farenheit degrees ! So my hard laps were not able to be more than 4 in a row + 1 lap to refresh and so on.
The Z06 of my friend had the same problem + water temp one.
My son's S2000 had water temps problems for the first time too.

That said, the Porsches were not able to run hard more than 3-4 laps too BEFORE TO GO IN LIMP MODE !!!!

Honestly, if we had not done a so long travel to the track with all the fees, we would choose to not track the cars in those conditions.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think that in the "C7 Z06 overheating problem" the MAIN thing to consider is UP TO WHAT WHAT EXTERIOR TEMPERATURE LEVEL can we expect to have no overheating ?

All depend of the exterior temperature (my post here upper is a good example) and I think that the "battle" with GM will mainly turn around that as it's the only way for them to find a way out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant:
As another member of the forum and I were talking last night, it would be a great idea before the ZR1 is publicly announced as track capable, to not have that statement be based on what Jim Mero, Alex MacDonald, Mark Reuss and the rest of the Corvette track test team can do, but to subject that car to track lap after track lap with drivers much less skilled, and have them test the ZR1 on a super hot, super humid days on several very difficult tracks. If non-pro drivers can run such sessions under those weather conditions, without overheating or the tendency to overheat, then that would be a reasonable time to talk about it as track capable.

If I agree completely regarding the difficult tracks, I cannot be OK to say that any pro pilot will guarantee to GM that the car will reach lower temperatures that with non-pro drivers ! It's completely the reverse! Any pro driver will sollicitate the car and the engine a lot more and so will be able to reach the limp mode faster.

Only GM have all the datas and it's sure that they were not as good as expected but they (perhaps) trusted in the fact that no gentleman driver will be able to drive as hard as their pro pilots! Unfortunately, the overheating problem appeared also with the customers.

So we can say that it's extremely difficult to compare "apples to apples" when the marketing claims something.
Beside that, any car can run 3 hours on a track if not sollicited more than at 70-80%... :peaceful:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts