Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
GM probably already knew there was enough proof out there with the 2015s and 2016s to expose them to some liability. Changing the cooling system for the 2017s was a good idea to limit their liability for another model year. Unfortunately, are you saying that the 2017 Z06 owner that was at VIR with you had overheating issues? You wrote that he complained that his car was running hot, but do you know if it went into limp mode?

Nevertheless, as you said, in 70 degree weather without really pushing the car to its limits, that wasn't a good sign...
No, it didn't go into limp mode.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
So there is a defect in the car and it is covered by the warranty; right? So GM should fix it and that is the compensation. I don't see how this is different from any other defect. Did anybody die or got injured b/c of this on a track?
The warranty covers failures, and doesn't require GM to design new parts or upgrade the car. GM will say the car is operating as designed, so not covered under warranty.

Reactions: BOBSZO6

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I wonder what kind of issues the good folks at Ron Fellows experienced with the Z06 as they drive the crap out of them.
Actually, for the most part the cars at Ron Fellows don't "get the crap driven out of them." Most of the laps are with students behind the wheel, at speeds far below the car's limits, and for relatively short stints.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My opinion/question......A clash of objectives: GM wants to sell you a car that can be 1) tracked, 2) low hood, 3) low center of gravity and 4) still warrantee it while on the track. An aggressive engine failure prevention as demonstrated by possibly early limp mode activation is possibly the result. Using the more robust cooling architecture i.e. Camaro ZL1, may result in a less road worthy Z06?

In my business, for example, intel CPU chips have fail safe system protecting them in hot environments. In fact, the computer will actually shut down to protect the CPU. No one sees this as a design flaw other than the clients who continually operate their laptop on a bed spread.

I fear the result will be GMs pulling of the track warrantee. That will affect more than the Z06 owners.
I see the Z06 as more of a high-end gaming desktop than a laptop, and when I built my high-end gaming PC, I put a Noctua’s classic U-series single tower CPU coolers one of these on my CPU so it wouldn't overheat:

If you pay for high performance, it seems reasonable to expect to be able to use that performance.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Let’s see how many more news sources reprint this announcement listing FORD as the designer and manufacturer of the Z06. I wonder if it's the law firm that sent out the original incorrect version.

"The lawsuit, filed June 13, 2017, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, seeks monetary damages for a proposed nationwide class of consumers who purchased or leased the affected vehicles, as well as injunctive relief for Ford’s misconduct related to the design, manufacture, marketing, sale and lease of affected vehicles."
TxC7, to the law firm it's all about the $$, case in point of what you posted. They can go after Ford all they want and never receive a dime! :wink:

SF
Rick

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Actually, for the most part the cars at Ron Fellows don't "get the crap driven out of them." Most of the laps are with students behind the wheel, at speeds far below the car's limits, and for relatively short stints.
Are you saying that a car in third gear at 4,500 RPM doing 65 MPH does not get as hot as a car in seventh gear at 2,200 RPM at speeds of 120 MPH? When I was at Spring Mountain for the Corvette Owners School the instructors told us what gear they wanted us in. Normally, this gear was selected so that the engine should be generating maximum horsepower, torque and therefore generating maximum heat. I will admit that the sessions are not that long so heat soak is not normally a problem.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Are you saying that a car in third gear at 4,500 RPM doing 65 MPH does not get as hot as a car in seventh gear at 2,200 RPM at speeds of 120 MPH? When I was at Spring Mountain for the Corvette Owners School the instructors told us what gear they wanted us in. Normally, this gear was selected so that the engine should be generating maximum horsepower, torque and therefore generating maximum heat. I will admit that the sessions are not that long so heat soak is not normally a problem.
The answer to that question is yes, obviously 4500 rpm at 65mph get hotter than one at 2,200 rpm. But the cars only do that for part of a lap, and for 8 to 12 laps before coming in. And that's still nowhere near the kind of stress they'd get in race conditions, hitting redline multiple times per lap, for 20, 30, 40 laps. When you did Ron Fellows, didn't you do a ride-along lap with an instructor? Didn't you see how much faster they were than the student laps? And they told me they were only doing about 7/10ths. I stand by my statement. They're not working nearly as hard as they would in race conditions, nor nearly as hard as they're capable of.

Reactions: lobsterroboto

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not defending GM cause I know it sucks to have a car overheat when ran hard . But to be honest looks like every manufacturer has some kind of overheating issue of some sort... I guess that's what keeps the aftermarket going is with upgrades..

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm not defending GM cause I know it sucks to have a car overheat when ran hard . But to be honest looks like every manufacturer has some kind of overheating issue of some sort... I guess that's what keeps the aftermarket going is with upgrades..
I have own diverse sport cars (atmo and turbo ones) and never seen any having overheating problems on the track or on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have own diverse sport cars (atmo and turbo ones) and never seen any having overheating problems on the track or on the road.
I'm not saying that they all do it , but just by a quick Google search yields some overheating issues of some sort, with ,Ford, Nissan, and even ferrari that I saw . I understand the frustration my Stingray runns hotter then I would like but a bottle of Redlined Watter Wetter and I can keep it under control..

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is very true. The class is a closely controlled environment.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Agree with RSmith. A defect is a defect. Spring Mountain would sure know about this. Have been there twice and loved it, second time in Z06, but in cool November temps. Not sure it would benefit the Ron Fellows guys to get involved so doubt will hear from them. In recent few 90 dgree days locally temps rose substatially without much provocation. Hard to believe that testing on the track in hot conditions did not or would not have revealed the problem. I would like to get my Z06 upgraded with the new "better" cooling but since I already paid many dollars for thr car, believe this should be at GM's expense.

·
18,667 Posts
This class action law suit is going go to be interesting in so many ways -- with so many ramifications. The C6 ZR1 was advertised as track capable, but check out all of the posts on the internet about the identical issues with them going into limp mode. Then the C7 Z06 was brought out and GM again talked about its track capabilities. And we all have read about C7 Z's going into limp mode on the track.

I am now wondering how GM advertises the upcoming C7 ZR1, e.g., track capable?

·
18,667 Posts
Person who filed class action lawsuit, owns a Z06, takes it on the track!. Thanks CorvetteBlogger for sharing this interesting news.

CorvetteBlogger said:
Florida Attorney Behind Class-Action Lawsuit is also a Corvette Z06 Owner and HPDE Enthusiast. (By Mitch Talley)

West Palm Beach attorney Jason Weisser isn’t just representing other drivers who say their C7 Z06 supercar has left them disappointed.

He’s one of the fold.

Weisser also happens to be a Corvette Z06 owner who loves to track his “brilliant … amazing” vehicle, as he described it in a recent interview with The Palm Beach Post.

But persistent overheating problems have left him questioning the decision to buy one of the Corvettes that sometimes list for more than $100,000.

“If you don’t pit your car to let it cool down,” Weisser says, “you’ll go into limp mode.”

He says that’s an unsafe situation on the track as well as the highway.

“A Z06 rapidly decelerating on a highway is dangerous and can result in a high-speed collision,” Weisser claimed in a multi-million-dollar lawsuit, filed earlier this month in U.S. District Court in Florida with Coral Gables attorney Stuart Grossman and Seattle attorney Steve Berman.

The suit calls the situation “unacceptable” for Z06 owners, who he says were told by GM they were buying a track-proven car.

“It’s frustrating,” Weisser says. “It’s a brilliant car. It’s an amazing car. But for GM to deny it doesn’t have this problem is laughable.”

Actually, we’re not sure GM is denying it. Weisser himself admits that GM has lived up to its warranties and repaired cars that have overheated. Weisser, however, believes the problem is “just a bad design” and “just about air flow.”

He says Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter himself has admitted the problem appears most often in hot climates, including in a February 2015 statement:

“Some may wonder why don’t we design to higher temperatures, say 110 degrees, to accommodate southern tracks in the summer,” Juechter wrote. “We have used the ‘pro driver at 86 degrees’ criteria for generations of Corvettes and for the vast majority of customers, it has resulted in excellent performance for their usage.”

In that same statement, Juechter (who has been quoted in other sources as saying that the overheating problem affects only about 5 percent of Z06s) wrote that designing the car for higher temperatures would require it to be larger, causing “a huge impact on appearance and aerodynamic drag.”

Weisser doesn’t buy that argument, pointing to the high-powered Chevrolet Camaro that apparently doesn’t have the overheating problems, and says that engine modifications for the 2017 Z06 still haven’t eliminated the situation. He believes that GM should buy back the cars or offer exchanges to dissatisfied customers who have lost resale value as a result.

I guess we’ll find out in court one day. So what do you think? Would you still buy a C7 Z06?

Source:
mypalmbeachpost.com

21 - 40 of 73 Posts