Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in the land of 1100, one has lots of time to think and ask questions. My query for today:

What is the relative performance gain for each of the major performance options?

I'd like to build a matrix as follows:

0-60 1/4 mile Lateral Accel
Base
+Sport Exhaust
+Z51
+Magride 3.8 12.0 1.03

Does anyone have data?

Thanks.

·
18,670 Posts
Only folks inside GM have those details. The only thing I have heard directly from GM is that for straight line acceleration, choose the automatic over the manual, but for the track, conversely, choose the manual over the automatic. And since the NPP option has approximately 5 pounds more torque, 5 more HP, it will help acceleration, both straight-line and on a track. Non-performance-option weight is another consideration, as a 1LT is going to weigh less than a 2LT, and of course, the 2LT will weight less than a 3LT. The Z-51 package weighs (depending on which report from which car industry analyst), about 80 pounds more than the non Z-51, though because of its eLSD, the Z-51 can, depending on the pavement friction coefficient, accelerate better, both straight-line and on a road course.

Having said all that, I think there are overriding issues, including:
1) It is usually the driver who makes an overriding difference between most of the previous items; consequently most agree that the best money spent is not on options (factory nor aftermarket), but going to a drag racing school or a high performance road-course driving school, for the latter is where the most benefit is gained;
2) If acceleration is the primary desired variable, forget comparing the above factory options (at least as of yet) and use proven aftermarket items to get you the additional power wanted, e.g. a supercharger; or perhaps the potentially-riskier option of nitrous that can give you near-instant bursts of speed far more than any of the factory options you listed.

Others are probably better able to answer your questions, for I am seeing too many variables, not enough comparisons tests yet to make the spread sheet you are looking for at this time.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Eric; I seem to remember from one or more of the GM C-7 launch videos that the sport exhaust is good for an additional 5HP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts