Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems there are issues involved in locating dealers providing "Courtesy Deliveries" from east coast dealerships in Northern California or the greater Sacramento area. Apparently many have conveyed the attitude that GM customers purchasing their Stingrays and Z06's from "Other" dealerships, particularly those located on the east coast that aren't displaying the same business practices of adding $10k to as much as $25K onto MSRP are somehow hurting business. While they are certainly entitled to their opinions and personal business practices, they are also having a negative impact on the overall image of General Motors in the area. With the exception of one in the greater Sacramento area didn't even showed up on the top 99 dealers selling Corvette's. All the dealerships in the area are uncooperative in working with GM's customers and other dealerships.

Of those dealerships that can sometimes be talked into participating, they will often discourage the practice by charging substantially more ($1,000.00+) than the norm ($300.00-$500.00) for Courtesy Deliveries. In addition to this, many of the service departments in these dealerships discourage customers who purchased their vehicles from other than their own. I personally was told by the owner of one particular dealership that "Courtesy Deliveries" on a specific vehicle such as the Z06 is taken away from their allocations, which are very few, if any because of their low volume of sales. While I doubted the authenticity or validity of his statement, I would think GM would initiate certain incentives to dealerships to provided better customer service and consider the larger picture of being on the same "Team" with General Motors and all the other dealerships in the country. I have no doubt these business practices aren't isolated to Northern California and exist all over the country as the result of the dealerships being franchises.

If anyone has any information and/or assistance regarding helping locate dealerships in Norther California that are more team players and are willing to provide the "Courtesy Delivery" service at a reasonable price, please, by all means share that information to those of us purchasing our Stingrays and Z06's from dealerships better equipped to deliver.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I live in the very far part of N. California but not in the larger urban areas that Tom speaks of above.
In Eureka we have one Chev/Hyundai dealer with whom I have done the Courtesy delivery in the past on a limited edition Corvette Z06.
They were very cooperative since they could not obtain this car themselves and wanted to see one. The service manager was very cooperative and called when
the car arrived by transport truck so I could take pictures of it off loading and then wash the car myself. Just outstanding!
I will be using this same dealer for my 2015 Z06 and the fee is $350.

Bottom line, I feel special to not have the issues being discussed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seems there are issues involved in locating dealers providing "Courtesy Deliveries" from east coast dealerships in Northern California or the greater Sacramento area. Apparently many have conveyed the attitude that GM customers purchasing their Stingrays and Z06's from "Other" dealerships, particularly those located on the east coast that aren't displaying the same business practices of adding $10k to as much as $25K onto MSRP are somehow hurting business. While they are certainly entitled to their opinions and personal business practices, they are also having a negative impact on the overall image of General Motors in the area. With the exception of one in the greater Sacramento area didn't even showed up on the top 99 dealers selling Corvette's. All the dealerships in the area are uncooperative in working with GM's customers and other dealerships.

Of those dealerships that can sometimes be talked into participating, they will often discourage the practice by charging substantially more ($1,000.00+) than the norm ($300.00-$500.00) for Courtesy Deliveries. In addition to this, many of the service departments in these dealerships discourage customers who purchased their vehicles from other than their own. I personally was told by the owner of one particular dealership that "Courtesy Deliveries" on a specific vehicle such as the Z06 is taken away from their allocations, which are very few, if any because of their low volume of sales. While I doubted the authenticity or validity of his statement, I would think GM would initiate certain incentives to dealerships to provided better customer service and consider the larger picture of being on the same "Team" with General Motors and all the other dealerships in the country. I have no doubt these business practices aren't isolated to Northern California and exist all over the country as the result of the dealerships being franchises.

If anyone has any information and/or assistance regarding helping locate dealerships in Norther California that are more team players and are willing to provide the "Courtesy Delivery" service at a reasonable price, please, by all means share that information to those of us purchasing our Stingrays and Z06's from dealerships better equipped to deliver.
YEah I had the same MSRP + and "service extortion" happen here with a couple dealers but found a small Chevy dealer who not only will do the delivery but service the car as if I bought it there. Palmetto Chevrolet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Greenwood Chevrolet in Hollister Ca.will do courtesy delivery for $500. Steve Schipper is the General manager and is easy to work with.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Tom, seems like some of those dealers need a nice...........Yelp or Google review!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
We are having courtesy delivery at Concord Chevrolet. GM is Phil Brecher whom I asked about it in May and he said "No Problem. Just have your dealer contact me directly." The phone is 925-682-6400

The cost will be $300 is what MacMulkin told us (still to be confirmed again now that the car is closer to showing up).

And they have a great service manager there Rodney Phelps, whom I also spoke with and who was suggested by another Forum member as a good service guy. Other members of our NorCal group on this forum have also been happy with service there.

We plan to do not only the courtesy delivery there but the services into the future.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG! Thank you all for your kind responses. I would travel to Eureka where Bob is, or to Concord where Suzy is in a New York second. Well, maybe not a New York second because both are a 100+ miles away, but either way, thank you so much for the contact information as I'll probably be getting in touch with them to see what kind of arrangements can be made. I just don't understand why some of these dealerships in my area operate like they do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am having my car courtesy delivered at Capitol Chevy in San Jose.

While I can understand a dealer not doing a courtesy delivery, it is unacceptable for a dealer to refuse service for a vehicle not purchased there.

We need to name and shame them!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live in the Sacramento area also and hope to have a courtesy delivery. It's nice to see that they are available with a little driving. Please keep the dealers that will do a courtesy delivery coming!
Can someone tell me how this gets arranged? Do I contact a dealer that I plan to buy the car from first and ask if they have dealers in my area that will accept courtesy deliveries or is it the buyers responsibility to find a dealer that will do courtesy deliveries?

·
Registered
817 Posts
The dealers fighting courtesy deliveries are, at best, short sighted and lacking in business acumen. Just read the posts in this thread alone. Dealers fighting courtesy deliveries are being trashed while those doing them have people willing to do business with them in a New York second! PDI, some profit. Warranty service, some profit. Outside warranty service, good profit. Opportunity to sell additional vehicles, good profit. Happy customers saying good things about the dealership, priceless!

The fighters need to wake up to reality. Gone are the days that a dealer somehow "deserves" all local sales while all along implementing customer elimination polies such as charging additional dealer markup. Such dealers are shooting themselves in the foot...just look at the dismal number of Corvettes they sell! But, look at the damage they do to GM, Chevrolet, and Corvette branding. Maybe some day GM will stand up and say "Enough! If you want to keep a GM franchise, you WILL follow additional good business practices that fairly balances GM's and the dealership's business interests." That sign hanging in front of the dealership is not representing only Joe Blow's Car Dealership, but GM/Chevrolet/Corvette. I will bet that the fighters will lose this battle..most already have but haven't opened their eyes wide enough to realize it.

End of rant.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealers fighting courtesy deliveries are, at best, short sighted and lacking in business acumen. Just read the posts in this thread alone. Dealers fighting courtesy deliveries are being trashed while those doing them have people willing to do business with them in a New York second! PDI, some profit. Warranty service, some profit. Outside warranty service, good profit. Opportunity to sell additional vehicles, good profit. Happy customers saying good things about the dealership, priceless!

The fighters need to wake up to reality. Gone are the days that a dealer somehow "deserves" all local sales while all along implementing customer elimination polies such as charging additional dealer markup. Such dealers are shooting themselves in the foot...just look at the dismal number of Corvettes they sell! But, look at the damage they do to GM, Chevrolet, and Corvette branding. Maybe some day GM will stand up and say "Enough! If you want to keep a GM franchise, you WILL follow additional good business practices that fairly balances GM's and the dealership's business interests." That sign hanging in front of the dealership is not representing only Joe Blow's Car Dealership, but GM/Chevrolet/Corvette. I will bet that the fighters will lose this battle..most already have but haven't opened their eyes wide enough to realize it.

End of rant.
Very well put Joel, and thank you. Not sure what the heck they are thinking, but one of the points I was trying to get across that you mentioned as well is, as long as some of these short sighted business philosophies exist, they actually work against GM, Chevrolet, and Corvette. I'll gladly accept the inconvenience of traveling outside my own immediate area in order to take delivery, but I also hope Chevrolet Customer Service might be observing some of this, taking note, and perhaps bringing it to managements attention. I was a business major in college and after graduating it didn't take me long in discovering businesses that spread the spirit of good business practices, displaying any kind of appreciation for their customers and showed a genuine interest in earning trust within the community rather than watching the bottom line profits always prevailed and succeeded.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Tom, for the benefit of everyone in NorCal who reads this thread, please let everyone know which dealerships you contacted who said:
A) no courtesy delivery,
B) a courtesy delivery will be accepted for $1000, and
C) we do not want to service a car which was not bought from us.

If some dealership said two of those things, please just put them in each list for which they qualify.

Thanks, Tom!

Everyone else: what you have added to this thread is great information to know where the "courtesy delivery friendly" dealerships are that you found!

Also, everyone, after you have had service done on your Corvette, please post your experiences here for everyone else to utilize: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...tments-experiences-both-good-bad-details.html

Together, we can help each other out!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Per a post made previously by one of the moderators of this forum I specifically left the dealers names and exact locations out of the discussion for possible liability reasons. Aside from that, I think it might only be fair to allow some of the dealerships in question to reconsider their positions before naming each.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Well, if you are telling the truth (and I believe you would) then how would you be liable? What you would write would not be libel if it is true.

Also, the forum cannot be held responsible for the dissemination of false or misleading information. If it could, then all sorts of crazy things would happen (for example, someone suing the forum because they read on here a post from someone who said "this modification will be good for you", they did it, and damaged their car, et cetera).

If we cannot share useful information to help each other because we are paralyzed by fear of lawsuits, eventually we will just look at pictures and say "Congratulations, that is a pretty car" and we will have little other member-supplied content.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Excuse me Rodney? The intent of this thread was to hopefully find out who within a couple of hundred miles accepts Courtesy Deliveries and the discussion of certain dealerships displaying less interest in service department customers known to have purchased their vehicles from other dealerships has been discussed on a number of occasions. We might differ somewhat in launching a campaigns in favor or against certain dealerships in our respective areas, but response #16 I found to be both offensive and out of line. "If you are telling the truth" brought to question, if I wasn't, why would I even present the question and thread?

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Tom, please let me explain.

My intent for my first paragraph in post #16 was to address one specific part of your post #15: liability. The only way something can be libelous is if it is false. It does not matter how damaging it is to a business (even if it causes a business to fold), if what is written is true, it is not libelous. The second point I wanted to make in the first paragraph of post #16 is that I had zero doubts about your credibility and honesty. Tom, you really took my paragraph the wrong way. Please reread it and understand it should be read in the context of me complimenting your trustworthiness to the highest degree where I had zero doubt about you.

As for the rest of the post, you and I can just disagree about the worthiness of my intent: will other NorCal members come along here in this thread some time in the future (let's say 9 months from now) and will they wish they knew what you already know? Will they wish that you had shared it to save them the time and money of having to reinvent the wheel and find out the same pieces of information for themselves? I know if I were in that area and looking for a courtesy delivery or a service department, I sure would appreciate the information.

Reactions: Bucket List

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay Rodney, here's the deal. And I can't speak for all dealerships in California because we've only been checking in our immediate area around Sacramento. We, meaning another person who is a member of another Corvette forum who is attempting to make arrangements for delivery of a new Z06 from Kerbeck's order list. He's ordering a 7-speed manual coupe and will likely be taking delivery before me.

Now keep in mind, all the dealerships in the greater Sacramento area have been packing the MSRP price of the new Stingrays from $10K to $25K since it's release, which should say something. In addition to this, in my investigations in search for a competent service department by speaking to individuals from a service manager, to sales managers, to GM's, there immediate reaction has been as if they smelled something rather foul in the fact I wouldn't be purchasing the car from them, even though they wouldn't be able to even get a new Z06 for a year or two.

While in search of a dealership in the area that would accept a courtesy delivery, both the other individual and I have been told flat out, "We Don't Do Courtesy Deliveries" together with, "Those Very Few Courtesy Deliveries We Have Done Under Very Rare Occasions We Charged $1,000.00 for). So, a pattern of behaviors or general consensus in the entire Sacramento Area has been displayed through an attitude of those of us purchasing Stingrays and Z06's outside the immediate area, or from dealerships back east is cutting in on the dealerships here's sales and profits. Therefore, any discouragement and support (service) on their part has been displayed. Now, the other person I have been working with was recently, just a couple of days ago, flat out denied a courtesy delivery from a dealership I displayed an interest in working with and has been turned down by others in the area as well. He recently contacted and spoke with the fleet manager of one of the most visible dealerships and is waiting for word back on whether or not they will do it, but then, that's how it's always started out with the others and ended up being denied by higher ups in the hierarchy.

So far, we have found very little if any interest in the dealerships in the area to extend any cooperation in helping either of us in completing our purchase of the much anticipated Z06, even though they haven't received any firm allocations and availability of the car we're trying to buy. My passion to expose those names that might be displaying certain injustices might not be as great as yours, or perhaps it goes back to something my Daddy once told me, "If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, then don't say anything at all." If your curious, then simply pick up the phone book and look under Chevrolet Dealerships in the greater Sacramento area. I emailed one dealership you've done business with in the past, and never heard a word back. In fact, I even recall trying to call them on the phone. At this point though, our trust has been pretty much extinguished with most of the dealerships in the area......

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I live in the Sacramento area also and hope to have a courtesy delivery. It's nice to see that they are available with a little driving. Please keep the dealers that will do a courtesy delivery coming!
Can someone tell me how this gets arranged? Do I contact a dealer that I plan to buy the car from first and ask if they have dealers in my area that will accept courtesy deliveries or is it the buyers responsibility to find a dealer that will do courtesy deliveries?
Howdy! Let me get back to your question at hand!

The answer on this seems to vary.

I was told that my out of state dealership would have a list of dealers in my local area that they work with regularly, so to just ask them.

HOWEVER, the dealer I'm buying from asked ME which dealer(s) were my top few, so my impression was that they would just randomly call the dealers closest to me that I WANTED to use and see if they played nice.

In a whole other 'side' story, you need to think about whom you're going to trust to touch your baby once you own it, so we already have a thread within the Northern California Members Group on this forum where we were asking each other who are good dealerships for SERVICE and who were not. Having some endorsements about Concord Chevrolet from multiple members, I went there physically and checked it out. And my original post above is the 'rest of the story'.

Good luck!

And if you are new to the Forum and haven't found the NorCal group, go to "Community" at the top of any page, then "Groups" and join it. It is open to anyone to join.

Cheers!

Reactions: rdslon01
1 - 20 of 93 Posts