Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took a trip to 50 miles out of San Antonio today, heard a rock hit the window but saw no cracks on the way there. When i got back into the car to head home, i noticed a crack aboout 9 inches long in front of the passenger seat... day ruined. only the 4th day I've had it.
Anyone have any idea how much it will cost to replace it or get it fixed? or link to a thread

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,666 Posts
took a trip to 50 miles out of San Antonio today, heard a rock hit the window but saw no cracks on the way there. When i got back into the car to head home, i noticed a crack aboout 9 inches long in front of the passenger seat... day ruined. only the 4th day I've had it.
Anyone have any idea how much it will cost to replace it or get it fixed? or link to a thread
2nd day I had the car, I had a crack right in my line of sight. No official determination was made as to cause, but was treated as a possible stress crack, so GM covered the replacement windshield. That may not help you out, but your insurance should cover it. Good luck with the repair.

FYI: try not to take it to a repair place that they won't let you watch, if you do, they got something to hide.....usually their incompetence. If you get a line of insurance regulations BS, go someplace else.

·
Administrator
16,490 Posts
Sorry that happened Red rocket corvette. Check with your insurance company- some cover it without the deductible. Odds are you will want to get it fixed through your dealer.

·
1,400 Posts
I took a large rock through mine. Replacement OEM windshield was $865. My insurance deductible was $500.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Clear Plex windshield protective film.....google it. Watch a YouTube video.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hate that for you!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Did I read here somewhere that the HUD cars have a more expensive windshield? $865 sounds like the spendy one.
I won't have HUD, but will still have glass coverage as part of my policy.

I did that on my 328i after my agent suggested it. (rain detecting auto wipers = more expensive windshield).
First road trip - big rock hit, crack spread halfway across. Called the agent, referred to a local Safelite place (we were on the coast) and had if fixed on the road, no out of pocket.
That was a $675 windshield.....makes a glass rider on your policy cheap by comparison for a few bucks a year.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It amazes me every time I see a post that describes a windshield impact or a tire puncture on brand new corvettes. I don't know what the odds are, but guys I am sorry to see it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
free replacement in Florida, no worries man. Easy fix.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our first drive was on a beautiful sunny day out on a wide open road with nobody in front of us and then pow. It sounded like a rock hit us but from where I have no idea. We got a small crack in front of passenger on the windshield. It was very strange. We have now owned 2 Avalanches and this Vette and they have all gotten chips or cracked easily.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
ClearPlex has saved my glass many times...

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Looks like a stress crack to me...

For what it's worth, I had a Safelite installer once tell me-"don't put Safelite glass on higher end cars, go with OEM!"

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
How much does that cost? Thx!
I paid $378 with installation and tax. It's optically clear, legal, and does not affect the HUD.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts