Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long had two Craftsman torque wrenches; one bought in 1971 by my father, the other I bought in 1978. A few months ago, the torque adjustment mechanism on the 1978 model came apart rendering it useless. Today I took it to Lowes, they promptly exchanged it for a new one with no fuss whatsoever, just like Sears would have. To say I was thrilled is an understatement. Forty one years of service was great from the torque wrench - a hassle-free replacement is even better service from Lowes.

They mentioned that they don't warrant the ratchet mechanism on old ratchet wrenches as they consider it a wear item.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
That is pretty darn good German! Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Great support from Lowes. More interesting will be how the new replacement works out. My experience has been the newer models don't last or perform as well as the old ones do. I suspect the 1971 model may just be working still after the 2019 model breaks down...

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
They mentioned that they don't warrant the ratchet mechanism on old ratchet wrenches as they consider it a wear item.
That's too bad. Sears replace two of my ratchets for that reason, without any hesitation at all. But the new ones will probably last another 40 years, so I guess I won't lose any sleep over it. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Craftsman was "always" the Standard For Durable Tools! There are few things made today that carry a "Life Time Warranty"! Had a 3/8" drive extension over ten years old which started pitting of the chrome! Visited a, now closed, Sears Store and was directed to pick a new one from the display! No "fuss or ado"! The way it should be IMHO!

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Actually, now one needs to pay attention to the type of Craftsman tool being purchased. I seem to recall from the past SEMA, The Mechanic and Automotive tools still carry lifetime warranties, but other Craftsman tools carry lesser warranties. Basically there are now two lines if my memory serves me, the more expensive and less expensive (mostly made in China).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Jeff, I bet your thinking of the "Sears" branded line.

I just looked at their site and they have trimmed down a lot of product. I love my 84 tooth polished rackets found on ebay etc. They are dropped but still sold from the liquidators while supplies last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts