Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
and this is exactly why I stay with an ipod....(I have a loaded 32gb card in the slot though too)
Glen does the iPod work to present Playlists on MyLink ?
And if so, which iPod? I'm not familiar with Apple stuff.

Michael

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
all of them should work, I have had an ipod "classic" in my past 3 cars in Florida - they always stay in the consoles, etc and never had any overheating at all, some here report they have...dunno

yes, you get playlists on the dash and display with an iPod, no hassle, and even you can create playlists right in the car buy using the "on the go" option on the ipod itself..I love that, as on a long trip I want 5 artists and all their albums, and don't want to do it the night before in iTunes, I just do it when leaving after getting in the car....this one specific feature is why I won't do a SD card exclusively ....

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Glen do you use a USB port for the iPod or Bluetooth?

Michael
the ipod I own is just USB, so it sits behind the dash in the display cubby, I never touch it. I believe in separating the phone and your tunes device....I also don't believe in putting the display up and down all the time, just no reason to put usage on something that is so valuable if it would stick down...all that is ever in that cubby is hi temp proof military pepper spray and the ipod.......all my opin only...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yall are inspiring me to try this.

Who am I kidding. My kids bought and set up my last ipod (stolen out of my Camaro). I'll ask them to do it again! lol I really do want my own tunes in the car!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Take the songs or albums that you want in your play list copy them into a new folder on the USB/SD card using your computer, give the new folder a unique name (i.e Best of Led Zeppelin or Best of the 70s) and now you have a playlist. You can create as many playlists as you like (or as many as your USB or SD card will hold) as long as you name the folder something you will recognize when moving thru the USB on the entertainment system screen, no different than an iPod. Copy favourite songs, whole albums whatever you want into the folder. When your in the folder you can tell the entertainment system to play them randomly or in sequence.

In the "old" days we use to make cassettes called mixed tapes, remember that. Helluva lot more work.

You can also create playlists by using m3u files/ iTune playlist files that MyLink will recognize by copying them onto the USB from iTunes, with the amount of storage available on sticks I think it is easier to copy and create mixed files. But if you have them created already then maybe this method works for you. You have to have the MP3's on the playlist also copied onto the USB or SD drive that are in your playlist file.

How to Create M3U Files in iTunes | eHow

Lastly if you want more detail use this Google link to look up how other GM owners have created and used M3U files to create playlists on a SD card or USB stick to use with MyLink https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mylink+m3u+files

·
Registered
8 Posts
The way I got playlists to work was to upload all your music to the USB using no folders at all. In note pad make a list of the songs you would like in the playlist and by list I mean just copy the mp3 file name including the mp3 file extension after each entry hit enter as the next entry should be on its own line. When done adding songs hit "save as" and name the playlist as you would like it to appear, save it then change the extension from txt to M3U and add it to the USB with all your music. It took sometime to find the answer online but found it in a Camaro forum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The way I got playlists to work was to upload all your music to the USB using no folders at all. In note pad make a list of the songs you would like in the playlist and by list I mean just copy the mp3 file name including the mp3 file extension after each entry hit enter as the next entry should be on its own line. When done adding songs hit save as and name the playlist as you would like it to appear, save it then change the extension from txt to M3U and add it to the USB with all your music. It took sometime to find the answer online but found it in a Camaro forum.
This is why I just use a 64gb USB (cost $29.99) and simply copy and paste the playlist music into a new folder. While using a M3U file certainly works to me it is the long way round to something that can be very simple. Even creating a playlist on a iPod or in iTunes can take some time. I have an extensive music collection on hard drives that I also use for video editing ( I do the occasional wedding for friends/family) so maybe it's just something I have gotten used to. Like Glen E says it works for him using the iPod so whatever works.

My favourite "playlist" music though is actually music 'recorded' off internet radio stations. You can find any genre and they have few or no commercials. I like soft and classic rock, there are music stations that play nothing but that with hardly any commercials. So I use a piece of software called Stationripper to "record" that music to a hard drive and then transfer it to my USB's. Record for a 24 hour period, you have 24 hours of music that someone else has mixed for you. These stations typically play their music on the internet in the MP3 format so it works perfectly. I know for some this might be a little bit above their pay grade but it is a nice way to add variety to your USB or SD car if your a bit tech savvy.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I know it's in vogue to hate Apple, but creating playlists in iTunes is sooooo much easier, and you can do things you couldn't even begin to do with creating folders or cutting and pasting songs. One feature of iTunes that is killer is the "smart playlist" For example, I am able to say:
1.Get me all the songs that have been played more than XX times in the history of the library and call it "my favs"
2.Get me all the songs that are in the Big Band genre, EXCEPT for Glen Miller
3.Get me everything that has been added to the library since March 2014...
4.Get me every song that was released between 1977 and 1990....
and on and on...

it's just so damn easy....certainly not like a "mix tape" we used to do for a road trip

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glen do you get Album Art work as well? I current stream MP3's from my Motorola RAZR to my Volt's MyLink via BT and it displays the Album Art work. Kind of neat.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Glen do you get Album Art work as well? I current stream MP3's from my Motorola RAZR to my Volt's MyLink via BT and it displays the Album Art work. Kind of neat.
If the album art is embedded in the Mp3 file, then it should display.

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I found this on another site - interesting:

All my music in iTunes are formatted in mp3. I create my playlist in iTunes. After you have fulled up the playlist then export the playlist in the m3u directly to you SD or USB drive. You do not need a top level folder. Copy your mp3s from iTunes to your SD or USB. Select the playlist in iTunes and select all mp3s that you put in the playlist. Copy the mp3s to your SD or USB. Use the drag and drop method. Your playlist will appear on your MyLink and all the other methods to view you mp3s will also be present like sort by album or artist or song. Using this method I can have the same playlist on my Windows PC, iPhone and iPad mini. The issue I now have is with MyLink. MyLink will browse both my iPhone and my USB giving double entries when I browse the playlist.

·
1,400 Posts
I'm having an issue with the system playing the tracks in reverse order. I copied a comedy CD to iTunes which then turned it into tracks. The tracks are labeled numerically. I then copied that to the SD card. The vehicle plays them just fine but in reverse order. They are in proper order on the card but for some reason they display on the Screen and play in reverse order. Is there a way to get the system to play them in the correct order?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Obviously some of us know what 'mixed tapes' are and know how much work we used to put into them. It was nice see the concept in the Guardians of the Galaxy" movie last night. Apparently now it is too difficult for us to drag and drop some file names on our computer or in iTunes to come up with something we used to spend hours creating. I have a 30 and a 60 cassette holder in my basement with all my mixed tapes made over 25 years. I shall bring them upstairs tonight and start recreating them on iTunes.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Windows, Android, Itunes all allow you to import and export playlists to various devices.
They also can sort, search and randomize as well.

If your Android has a memory slot like Samsung does.You may add up to a 128gig micro sd card for your listening pleasure.
Which will allow for voice control of your music.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts