Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2015 with the LT2 and no front camera..........opinion as to a curb alert or a front camera..........pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've never had a curb alert, but I do love the front view cameras on Ruby. Such a help when pulling into a parking spot or the garage. Now if I could just get them installed on my daughter's Sonic LT, LOL

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Have a 2015 with the LT2 and no front camera..........opinion as to a curb alert or a front camera..........pros and cons would be appreciated. Thanks,
Please use our search function and put in "curb alert"- you will find extensive previous threads and discussions on this.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
There are things a video camera can do that a curb alert cannot. For example, with a camera you can see the boundary between the concrete driveway and the grass.

Reactions: white_out

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,663 Posts
The camera, so much more practical, in my opinion of course.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sadly no retrofit option

·
Administrator
16,489 Posts
Well why not be different! Get some of the old fashioned metal curb feelers! 3 for each wheel opening! :) :)
Actually, one of our local C7 Z51 owners has curb and front air dam feelers (by the by, it has not saved him).

·
18,670 Posts
I used to have a Curb Alert on my Z06 (and also installed one of our 2017 daily drivers). However, I got tired of false positives when driving down the road white pavement markings. Turned off the sound for a month to confirm I did not need it any more; at a result I was sure by then that I was able to know how far to park without being out too far, nor coming close to damaging the splitter. Removed the Curb Alert from both vehicles.

Also I like the alternative of “when in doubt”, to back into a space and use the OEM camera as wonderful “space/distance” guide.

I do love the 2016 camera system — wish our ‘15 had it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used to have a Curb Alert on my Z06 (and also installed one of our 2017 daily drivers). However, I got tired of false positives when driving down the road white pavement markings. Turned off the sound for a month to confirm I did not need it any more; at a result I was sure by then that I was able to know how far to park without being out too far, nor coming close to damaging the splitter. Removed the Curb Alert from both vehicles.

Also I like the alternative of “when in doubt”, to back into a space and use the OEM camera as wonderful “space/distance” guide.

I do love the 2016 camera system — wish our ‘15 had it.
I am thankful for my forward-looking camera system, and sometimes wish it had a little better resolution.

When I made my decision to have my GS built to order, I donated (traded in) my old car, and soon laid out space on the garage floor to assure that first of all, I was allowing adequate space for the C7, which is larger than a MINI, and also, to prevent "garage space creep" where any open space gets filled over time. This worked out very well for me. The lines I laid down with blue painter's tape (dimensions from the Wikipedia page) reserved a parking space for my new masterpiece, and as a bonus, serve as guidelines when I am pulling into the garage, by lining up the lines on screen with the blue lines on the floor. Precision parking every time, which makes a big difference when space is limited.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Reactions: JCar and Norm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer camera because they show you exactly what is there. A sensor just tells you proximity. Sometimes there are things below the sensors rang ethat are useful to see in the camera. Also, sometime it's nice to see where the lines of a parking space are if you want to get a good center so some clown is less likely to back into you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I too wish my 15 had come with the front camera, but the only time I pull into a parking space and could use it is when I pull into the garage. Being a bit old fashioned for some things, I just have a 4x4 as a stop so that I'm close but far enough away from a cabinet.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I too wish my 15 had come with the front camera, but the only time I pull into a parking space and could use it is when I pull into the garage. Being a bit old fashioned for some things, I just have a 4x4 as a stop so that I'm close but far enough away from a cabinet.
I also wish I had a front camera for my '15. When pulling into our garage I use a practice golf ball tied to a string from the ceiling. Then when it bumps the windshield in front of my eyes, I know when to stop. The golf ball will never move, unlike something on the floor of the garage. This works so well, I also use it with our other car, which does have a front camera.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have the curb alert on mine. Not experiencing false alarms. No issues at all. If the camera comes on automatically like some cars do that of course would be much better.

As for parking in the garage I have a laser parking sensor mounted to the ceiling and aimed at my dash. Perfect park every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts