The Nashville shipping yard was/is used as overflow as the Bowling Green lot began to fill. According to GM, this wasn't due to any rework, but due to the ramping up of production going so well. They went from 20 cars per day to 130 per day with fewer issues than anticipated - which caused a lack of storage space.Some early cars went to Nashville and sat for awhile. Rumor says there was a rework, later cars hit dealerships before the earlier batch. I would assume since this one did not have a buyer it wasn't reworked until last.
Awesome inside report!The Nashville shipping yard was/is used as overflow as the Bowling Green lot began to fill. According to GM, this wasn't due to any rework, but due to the ramping up of production going so well. They went from 20 cars per day to 130 per day with fewer issues than anticipated - which caused a lack of storage space.
As of Noon on 10/11/13, 6,319 cars had been built, although only 3832 were production VINs. I watched that car get built for the previous 15 production hours Hope to take delivery in a week or two.
Looking at the quality reports shared with plant employees, the one statistic I found interesting is that in July, there were an average of two mutilations found per (pre-production) car; August had that stat reduced to only one every other car; September further reduced to one per five cars. I'd guess these were primarily due to workers scratching / gouging the car as the line speed was increased and employees were getting trained and used to their roles.
This may be alarming to some, but not every car is perfect right off the line - many require some rework. Our car had two issues - driver A-column cover couldn't be seated. The installer knew immediately there was an issue and almost stopped the line (actually grabbed the rope and yelled for the Team Lead). TL got it seated after a few minutes of effort, but a few minutes later the window adjuster couldn't get the window to seal properly. TL returned and removed the roof and several other covers. Twenty minutes later, TL was still working on it when I had to leave and watch the engine be pulled from the pallet, VIN engraved and added to the start of the engine line.
The other issue was electrical - they didn't elaborate, but when I started it, there was no DIC error noted (may have been previously cleared), but the air bag light wouldn't go out. The car wasn't driven into DVT, but into the repair queue which was quite full Friday. I notice the status changed Saturday to 3800 - "Produced", so I'm trusting that all has been resolved.
Of other interest is that on Thursday, the line stopped about twenty times, causing forced overtime but still ended up down 18 cars. On Friday, about five stops - a much better day! Today (10/16/13), production was scheduled to go from an 8-hr shift to a regularly scheduled 9-hr shift until further notice.