Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
HOLY S**T!! According to today's Automotive News, Bowling Green pumped out 885 C7s including mine last week!! :D YTD is 4,442.
Tom Forsyth
Mine was one of those as well. I came off the line on Thursday.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So were yours of the Z51 variety? trying to understand if the constraints are still reality.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine came off the line last Friday. Just got email this morning. Looks like BG guys re kicking some a$$ getting these babies out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine came off Thursday too. Last 4 of the VIN-- 2929. Yours?
Congratulations on your's!

2875. Off the line at 8:47am.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So were yours of the Z51 variety? trying to understand if the constraints are still reality.
Non Z51, non-exposed carbon fiber roof panel.

·
Administrator
16,504 Posts
Congratulations to each of you!!! I hope to get the call any day now on RedHot. GOT the call, get the car on the 29 of Oct. at the Museum. Wahoo!:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to my dealership and purchased a Stingray that they are waiting to be delivered. Last four of the VIN is 0216. This does not have the Z51 package or exposed carbon fiber roof. This VIN seems like it is from early in production so why would it not be delivered yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some early cars went to Nashville and sat for awhile. Rumor says there was a rework, later cars hit dealerships before the earlier batch. I would assume since this one did not have a buyer it wasn't reworked until last.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some early cars went to Nashville and sat for awhile. Rumor says there was a rework, later cars hit dealerships before the earlier batch. I would assume since this one did not have a buyer it wasn't reworked until last.
The Nashville shipping yard was/is used as overflow as the Bowling Green lot began to fill. According to GM, this wasn't due to any rework, but due to the ramping up of production going so well. They went from 20 cars per day to 130 per day with fewer issues than anticipated - which caused a lack of storage space.

As of Noon on 10/11/13, 6,319 cars had been built, although only 3832 were production VINs. I watched that car get built for the previous 15 production hours :) Hope to take delivery in a week or two.

Looking at the quality reports shared with plant employees, the one statistic I found interesting is that in July, there were an average of two mutilations found per (pre-production) car; August had that stat reduced to only one every other car; September further reduced to one per five cars. I'd guess these were primarily due to workers scratching / gouging the car as the line speed was increased and employees were getting trained and used to their roles.

This may be alarming to some, but not every car is perfect right off the line - many require some rework. Our car had two issues - driver A-column cover couldn't be seated. The installer knew immediately there was an issue and almost stopped the line (actually grabbed the rope and yelled for the Team Lead). TL got it seated after a few minutes of effort, but a few minutes later the window adjuster couldn't get the window to seal properly. TL returned and removed the roof and several other covers. Twenty minutes later, TL was still working on it when I had to leave and watch the engine be pulled from the pallet, VIN engraved and added to the start of the engine line.

The other issue was electrical - they didn't elaborate, but when I started it, there was no DIC error noted (may have been previously cleared), but the air bag light wouldn't go out. The car wasn't driven into DVT, but into the repair queue which was quite full Friday. I notice the status changed Saturday to 3800 - "Produced", so I'm trusting that all has been resolved.

Of other interest is that on Thursday, the line stopped about twenty times, causing forced overtime but still ended up down 18 cars. On Friday, about five stops - a much better day! Today (10/16/13), production was scheduled to go from an 8-hr shift to a regularly scheduled 9-hr shift until further notice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Nashville shipping yard was/is used as overflow as the Bowling Green lot began to fill. According to GM, this wasn't due to any rework, but due to the ramping up of production going so well. They went from 20 cars per day to 130 per day with fewer issues than anticipated - which caused a lack of storage space.

As of Noon on 10/11/13, 6,319 cars had been built, although only 3832 were production VINs. I watched that car get built for the previous 15 production hours :) Hope to take delivery in a week or two.

Looking at the quality reports shared with plant employees, the one statistic I found interesting is that in July, there were an average of two mutilations found per (pre-production) car; August had that stat reduced to only one every other car; September further reduced to one per five cars. I'd guess these were primarily due to workers scratching / gouging the car as the line speed was increased and employees were getting trained and used to their roles.

This may be alarming to some, but not every car is perfect right off the line - many require some rework. Our car had two issues - driver A-column cover couldn't be seated. The installer knew immediately there was an issue and almost stopped the line (actually grabbed the rope and yelled for the Team Lead). TL got it seated after a few minutes of effort, but a few minutes later the window adjuster couldn't get the window to seal properly. TL returned and removed the roof and several other covers. Twenty minutes later, TL was still working on it when I had to leave and watch the engine be pulled from the pallet, VIN engraved and added to the start of the engine line.

The other issue was electrical - they didn't elaborate, but when I started it, there was no DIC error noted (may have been previously cleared), but the air bag light wouldn't go out. The car wasn't driven into DVT, but into the repair queue which was quite full Friday. I notice the status changed Saturday to 3800 - "Produced", so I'm trusting that all has been resolved.

Of other interest is that on Thursday, the line stopped about twenty times, causing forced overtime but still ended up down 18 cars. On Friday, about five stops - a much better day! Today (10/16/13), production was scheduled to go from an 8-hr shift to a regularly scheduled 9-hr shift until further notice.
Awesome inside report!

Reactions: blc14stingray

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
When I dropped by my local dealer to see a sold (Nashville graduate) customer's car the sales manager told me an interesting story that he was puzzled by himself. He said that the car on his floor was manufactured later than another car that he had been pre-sold. It appears that this "other" car also sat @ Bowling Green for a couple of weeks then went to Nashville for almost 2 weeks and was sent back to Bowling Green. He said he had no idea as to why. Makes you wonder what is really going on? :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmmmmmm?????

·
Registered
219 Posts
My car that Im picking up from dealership tomorrow has VIN 2982 and was manufactured Oct 4th. After manfucaturing it went to Nashville, accoridng to GM for additional quality checks. It then went back to BG, bayed and finally shipped last Thursday. Shipping from BG to AZ took 5 days. Interesting thing is that I was #3 on my dealer list. The #2 guy got his C7 last week. The #1 guy's C7 hasnt even been built yet (not sure why). So who knows how this thing is really working, almost anyones guess.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My guess is since this is an assembly line that they want to keep it full and moving so there are many factors that go into play as to what order cars get built in. For example colors, they will want to do several in a row of the same color. There might be a restraint on a certain part or option just for a few days that might push you back on the list, think about how many orders may have come in even being only pushed back a few days. Maybe even some dealers get priority builds???? Or even certain customers???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts