Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone played with building a custom GPS/Wifi/GSM tracking device that will let you know where the car is any time of day?

I've got a little side project that I've been playing with based on an Arduino board with a little breakout board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13120) that gives me GPS data and the ability to push this data out to the cloud from where I can track exactly where the car is.

The nifty part about it is that nobody knows its on the car, I also put it somewhere where I think no thief will think to look for it, making it the perfect tracking / protection device.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There's your million-dollar idea! Now off to market it you go! I'd get one...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Add remote engine kill.

·
Registered
297 Posts
All these features already exist in commercially available ODB2 connectors, the only issue is that the cat is out of the bag so to speak with those solutions as you can google the details of these.

Some examples:
GPS POLICE | GPS tracking products and 4G LTE WIFI hotspot OBD GPS Tracker by Ulbotech.

·
Registered
484 Posts
the spark fun shield is just for all intents and purposes a cellular modem with questionable long term performance.

you're better off getting a usb LTE modem like the AT&T Beam USB modem & a raspberry pi and an external 10Hz GPS receiver (for much more accurate GPS positioning)

Personally, I would wire the pi into the car battery, run a script that initializes the modem every "x" minutes uploads data and shuts off the modem & GPS to conserve the car battery & data from whatever cellular plan you use.

Also, if by cloud you mean very lightweight web server hosted anywhere other than your home then yes... "cloud" would be an apt definition.

then 3d print a case for the entire contraption and off you go.

you could even go a step further, get a wireless OBDII dongle, have the device pull whatever data it can from the car (when it can) and provide you historical data so you can see how your car runs. Would be helpful to see if your car is running around the same for lets say..every commute.

Not knocking the arduino but I just think that the raspberry pi is more versatile out of the box and utilizes less custom code than a stripped down debian distro and a few bash scripts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts