Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Need some advice and it might be hard since most people haven't been able to drive this vehicle yet.

I live in a crowded city, with shitty roads. I've made the decision, don't shoot me for it, to get the optional auto tranny. I can't switch from first to neutral 40 times in rush hour it drives me nuts in my other manual car which I don't even daily drive.

Also, I will probably never track this car. It would become my daily driver. I do drive with a purpose and who isn't going to in a new C7! So the main question, would I enjoy or utilize the Z51 package at all? I love the ability of the E-LSD vs a 'standard' LSD, and really would like the magnetic ride control. I've been scared off slightly by this article I just read which I'll link below. How much stiffer for a daily driver is too stiff? The profile of the tires are also smaller, and I would get the magnetic ride control if I did get the Z51 but am hearing that the base vette vs the Z51 is a whole different beast. I have some amazingly shitty roads, but really love the Z51!

So what are your honest thoughts for my daily driver in my situation? Thanks in advance, I can see this forum getting great in the future already.

zimm888

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray first drive - - Autos - MSN CA

·
Registered
141 Posts
We've owned both a Z51 and std.C6. The Z51 is slightly firmer of a ride than the std.version but the handling is alot crisrper and if your going to try to get through the city traffic you will feel more in control. The C7 has multiple ride settings to tune the suspension to the ride your on. When my C7 Conv. arives we will have a 7speed Z51 with magnetic shocks and a C6 Z51 with 6 speed auto. I put the C6 on the track weakend befor last and using the paddels was a lot of fun. Either way you'll enjoy the ride.

Reactions: zimm888

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the comment redwhtconv. So you think the crappy roads won't knock out my fillings in a Z51?

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Obviously for most of us our response will be based on what we have read and gleaned from the numerous reviews. As I understand it, you can set the Z51 with the mag ride to tour and it will be softer than the base ride, however the base ride is softer than the Z51 without the mag ride. It really comes down to whether you want to spend about 5k more to set the mag ride to tour or get the base and have a great handling car that you would not track. :cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true. Good points. I'm trying to convince myself to just get the Z51 and deal with it. Been in my gf's buick verano the last week getting spoiled by the ride, very surprising for a little guy. Does the non Z51 not come with the rear spoiler? What about the air inlets on the rear fenders?

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
That's true. Good points. I'm trying to convince myself to just get the Z51 and deal with it. Been in my gf's buick verano the last week getting spoiled by the ride, very surprising for a little guy. Does the non Z51 not come with the rear spoiler? What about the air inlets on the rear fenders?
The non Z51 comes with the spoiler only in the very center of the rear (actually the Z51 spoiler fits over the base spoiler) and in MHO looks better because it continues the lines from the rear window down without the horizontal break you get with the full Z51 spoiler. All Coupes have the vents, however, only the base with the automatic and the Z51 have functional vents on the rear fenders. The base with the manual has the vents but they are not functional. :cool:

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Appreciate all the info brother. So what would you do in my case :p
Can't make that decision for you. Base it on what is most important to you- not anyone's opinion here or elsewhere (other than considering your gf). Read as many of the reviews, see the car in person if you can, and trust your instincts. :cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took the plunge! Just put my deposit down on an Arctic White Z51, blk interior, wheels, spoiler and side mirrors, red calipers, 1LT with Nav!
Hopefully I don't regret the Z51 in my situation, or only getting the 1LT. But honestly, who would be upset with any C7 once they get their hands on it!

Thanks jsvette for helping me with info to make up my own mind. Have you ordered or do you have plans to? If so what specs?

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
So I took the plunge! Just put my deposit down on an Arctic White Z51, blk interior, wheels, spoiler and side mirrors, red calipers, 1LT with Nav!
Hopefully I don't regret the Z51 in my situation, or only getting the 1LT. But honestly, who would be upset with any C7 once they get their hands on it!

Thanks jsvette for helping me with info to make up my own mind. Have you ordered or do you have plans to? If so what specs?[/QUOTE

You are most welcome @zimm888. I certainly agree with your statement "But honestly, who would be upset with any C7 once they get their hands on it!" Yes my C7 RedHot has been ordered and is at 3000 (in line for production when it starts). I ordered the base model, auto trans, 2LT, Torch Red, Adrenaline Red interior, Nav, Red Brembos, Performance Exhaust, regular wheels and Museum Delivery. :cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least I'll have you to let me know how much smoother the non Z51 is. Do you have an approx. date of delivery for yours? I wonder how long mine will be, they have to check finances before they order, which only takes a day or two they claim. Then how long realistically? 8 more weeks? Headed to Canada as well.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
At least I'll have you to let me know how much smoother the non Z51 is. Do you have an approx. date of delivery for yours? I wonder how long mine will be, they have to check finances before they order, which only takes a day or two they claim. Then how long realistically? 8 more weeks? Headed to Canada as well.
I will possibly be able to get mine the end of October.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome. When did you place your order? Should I assume I'll receive mine by Christmas? lol. Sucks having to wait that long, but a great Christmas gift!

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Awesome. When did you place your order? Should I assume I'll receive mine by Christmas? lol. Sucks having to wait that long, but a great Christmas gift!
My order was accepted into the GMWorkbench system June 3rd. Once they actually start producing C7 orders your dealer should be able to provide you an estimate of when you can expect yours.:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts

Thanks jsvette for helping me with info to make up my own mind. Have you ordered or do you have plans to? If so what specs?
You made the right choice.. I ordered the Z51 for several reasons. Spoiler and lower aero kit, larger wheels and tires and all the other goodies is a no brainer for $2800.00 by the way I also ordered an automatic... A couple of things years ago manuals were faster 0 - 60 than auto. Now they are both the same. I too sit in traffic and cand stand the constant shifting and clutch. BTW I also stayed with the standard seats as they look more comfortable than the competition seats.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You made the right choice.. I ordered the Z51 for several reasons. Spoiler and lower aero kit, larger wheels and tires and all the other goodies is a no brainer for $2800.00 by the way I also ordered an automatic... A couple of things years ago manuals were faster 0 - 60 than auto. Now they are both the same. I too sit in traffic and cand stand the constant shifting and clutch. BTW I also stayed with the standard seats as they look more comfortable than the competition seats.
You have good taste ;)

My order is finalized Monday so I'm having second thoughts if I should get the 2LT at least. Mainly for the lumber and bolstering adjustment in the seats. Think that package is worth 4.4k more? Seems silly being thrifty with a car at this price tag but still. Also may like the black roof on the arctic white, but maybe it's too much with the blk mirrors and spoiler. But 2k just so the existing carbon fibre is visible, man maybe I'm cheap I dunno lol. Thoughts?

·
Registered
186 Posts
You have good taste ;)

My order is finalized Monday so I'm having second thoughts if I should get the 2LT at least. Mainly for the lumber and bolstering adjustment in the seats. Think that package is worth 4.4k more? Seems silly being thrifty with a car at this price tag but still. Also may like the black roof on the arctic white, but maybe it's too much with the blk mirrors and spoiler. But 2k just so the existing carbon fibre is visible, man maybe I'm cheap I dunno lol. Thoughts?
I got the 2LT I think its the minimum to get the entertainment center and the bose sound system with the bass box. I stuck with the yellow roof as I didnt want to spend that kind of money for exposed carbon fiber roof and I didnt get the black side mirrors and spoiler either as I though that might be too much as well. I also spend the extra money to get the nav as its an option with 2LT.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the 2LT I think its the minimum to get the entertainment center and the bose sound system with the bass box. I stuck with the yellow roof as I didnt want to spend that kind of money for exposed carbon fiber roof and I didnt get the black side mirrors and spoiler either as I though that might be too much as well. I also spend the extra money to get the nav as its an option with 2LT.
What's the diff between the entertainment center? I grabbed the Nav so far as well on the 1LT. I think I'll like the black spoiler, goes well on the white car with the black accents from videos I've seen at least. Who knows could always wrap it if I get bored of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you go for the Mag. Shocks? I had them on one of my C6's and ordered on my C7 w/ Z51

1 - 20 of 20 Posts