Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search here for dash cam and camera but found nothing. If you haven't, go to youtube and search 'dash cam crashes'. Apparently nearly everyone in Russia has a dash cam, and after viewing some videos, I want one too. A search on Amazon shows good ones for around a hundred bucks.

Leaning towards mounting one between rear view mirror and glass. Considering a Mobius. Question is, what is the best way to route a power line to this location? For those who have done so, pics would be nice.

I would really like to get this done before the National Caravan in August.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Go pro with suction cup mount and remote. Love it! Also the suction cup mount can be removed and put on the outside of the car for speeds up to 150MPH

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
221 Posts
Derrick, not sure you understand the point of a dash cam. It's supposed to be always on, recording on a loop. I don't believe the GoPro has this functionality.

Ragtop, my suggestions would be to read the following threads of search the forum for radar detector installation discussions as these will tackle the same types of issues.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ries/1084-official-radar-detector-thread.html
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ectronics/2875-diy-valentine-one-install.html

·
Registered
371 Posts
Derrick, not sure you understand the point of a dash cam. It's supposed to be always on, recording on a loop. I don't believe the GoPro has this functionality.

Ragtop, my suggestions would be to read the following threads of search the forum for radar detector installation discussions as these will tackle the same types of issues.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ries/1084-official-radar-detector-thread.html
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ectronics/2875-diy-valentine-one-install.html
That's nice. Everyone has different uses for a dash cam. It's on my dash and it's a camera. Works out great!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Go pro with suction cup mount and remote. Love it! Also the suction cup mount can be removed and put on the outside of the car for speeds up to 150MPH

the suction cup does not hold up at 233 mph

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's nice. Everyone has different uses for a dash cam. It's on my dash and it's a camera. Works out great!
No, you have an action camera. I'm familiar with these; I have 3 that I use while racing. It only records sound and video when you turn it on and still has battery and memory left.

A dash cam's job is to monitor. This is what the OP is talking about. It records while the car is on, draws power from the car, and loops the memory. Many models also contain other sensors and record their data, for example an accelerometer to measure forces in an impact. The key difference being that the dash cam requires no maintenance from the user once installed, it is just expected to be recording while driving.

·
Registered
371 Posts
No, you have an action camera. I'm familiar with these; I have 3 that I use while racing. It only records sound and video when you turn it on and still has battery and memory left.

A dash cam's job is to monitor. This is what the OP is talking about. It records while the car is on, draws power from the car, and loops the memory. Many models also contain other sensors and record their data, for example an accelerometer to measure forces in an impact. The key difference being that the dash cam requires no maintenance from the user once installed, it is just expected to be recording while driving.

That's nice ;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derrick, I considered the Gopro, but the other posters were correct as to what I was looking for. FormulaRedline hit it right on the head. I'm going to check out those other threads, thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
IMO I think having a dash cam is nice to have if you drive in a country like Russia where accidents are as common as changing your underwear, but I live in a pretty laid back town and have not been in any accidents to warrant having this running in a loop every time I am on the road?:eek:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can keep the camera on even when it's parked. Would be nice to have proof of who messed with your car should it happen. And NJ is like Russia in many ways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts