Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After purcahasing car and during a detailing session I notice passenger door alignment issue. I will post a picture below. At first I didn't think too much about it but last week while in Orlando I stopped at Stingray Chevrolet and saw how perfect the panels were on every one of their C7's. I did post on here a couple of weeks ago about the striker adjustment.

When I got home this weekend I started looking closer at the gaps and door. Then I noticed paint overspray in door jam, under fender near windshield, on front wheel and on rocker panel. I was like OMFG .. this car has been repaired. I called dealer and the General Manager flat out denied they did anything to the car - that is was indoors in their showroom since they had it. I said well I'll be down shortly to show you the issues.

When I get their the service manager is waiting outside - dealer is only 5 minutes from my house. I start showing him the damage and he is not really looking and saying lets go talk in my office. So we go into office and he starts telling me that one morning they came in and the door glass had fallen into the door. Upon closer inspection the saw that the outer door skin had separated from the door and believe that somebody slammed the door shut and the window was not lowered and it broke. He tells me they sent it to another dealer and they replaced the door skin and did the paint.

I was like .. well they did a pretty bad job of installing skin .. and an even worse job of masking ... however .. the paint job itself was very good.

So I tell them that GA law says they have to disclose damage of 5% MSRP or paint damage of more the $500. Of course they still have the repair order from the other dealer and it was $2100 .. but only $297 was for paint. So going by their numbers they did not break any Georgia Disclosure Laws.

They call in a guy from a local bodyshop that specializes in Corvettes. He looked at car and said he will try to tweek door alignment but if Skin was installed wrong then he will have to redo the entire thing. Thats when service guy looks at invoice again and it says the entire door was replaced .. not just the skin .. so hopefully it is just some adjusting.

Anyway ... they broke no GA disclosure laws so there isn't too much I can do ... However .. I am going to give them the part number for the Carbon Fiber Dash and ask if they could buy that for me as a good will gesture.

The Body Shop has my car now. They said they will go over every square inch of car, make sure its perfect, remove all overspray, adjust door and any other panels that need it.

So beware ... I took for granted that car was NEW ... but apparently Lot damage is fairly common.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Wow, that's a crazy story. They weren't going to tell you squat!

·
Registered
115 Posts
What a bummer, and I sure hope they make it right for you. I'd have thought, obviously incorrectly, that between the shop that did the work and the dealer who got the repaied car back, SOMEONE woud have noticed this.

Good luck!

Ken

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda proves ignorance is bliss ... I know another member recently had his car delivered with the entire front end smashed ... it was repaired of course .. but if that car had been for dealer stock the person who purchased i would have never known. I have the CarFax App on my phone .. they do show that the car was serviced at the dealer that did the bodywork on March 19th .. about 8 weeks before I bought it. ... however ... Carfax just says "Vehicle Serviced" .. nothing else.

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Car Fax can be good.....and on the other side, not too reliable. It's as only as good as to who and what info is put in there. I don't believe any shop is legally required to put anything into Car Fax, nor are they required to give you one.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
So I tell them that GA law says they have to disclose damage of 5% MSRP or paint damage of more the $500. Of course they still have the repair order from the other dealer and it was $2100 .. but only $297 was for paint. So going by their numbers they did not break any Georgia Disclosure Laws. Anyway ... they broke no GA disclosure laws so there isn't too much I can do ... However .. I am going to give them the part number for the Carbon Fiber Dash and ask if they could buy that for me as a good will gesture.

The Body Shop has my car now. They said they will go over every square inch of car, make sure its perfect, remove all overspray, adjust door and any other panels that need it.

So beware ... I took for granted that car was NEW ... but apparently Lot damage is fairly common.

Really? If that was a real estate transaction it would be illegal. No disclosure of a prior accident on a "new car"?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can't believe that the GA law only says that anything over $500 for paint is disclosable. That is crazy. The law should say anything over a $500 repair cost should be disclosable. They can rig the estimate to keep the paint cost down. Does the paint cost just include only the paint or the labor cost as well?
Alan

Reactions: regguy1

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't believe that the GA law only says that anything over $500 for paint is disclosable. That is crazy. The law should say anything over a $500 repair cost should be disclosable. They can rig the estimate to keep the paint cost down. Does the paint cost just include only the paint or the labor cost as well?
Alan
GA is better than NC where you live ... GA does separate Paint from Repairs. NC is a flat 5% of MSRP.

You’re buying a car, but you’re worried that it may have been damaged in the past. Learn what sellers are supposed to tell you about damage to a car they’re selling in North Carolina.

New Cars
Dealers are required to disclose in writing any damage and repair that exceeds five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price before you enter into a contract.

Dealers are not required to disclose any damage to glass, tires or bumpers if the damaged item has been replaced with original or comparable equipment.

If a new car has been repaired for damages that do not exceed five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, then the dealer does not have to tell you about the damage unless you ask.

If a new car has been damaged more than the five percent threshold, the North Carolina Automobile Dealer’s Association recommends that its dealers disclose it in writing on company letterhead. A copy of this disclosure should be submitted along with the title to the Division of Motor Vehicles.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
According to the OP, it's damage over 5% of MSRP or paint damage in excess of $500.

Do i understand the OP say the entire door was replaced? That certainly sounds like more than 5% of MSRP.

Dealers do get a fair amount of lot damage which they usually clean up in house. I'm professionally and personally close to some car dealers and sympathetic to such things. But replacing an entire door on a vette seems like something that should be disclosed and it's even more troubling that the GM's first instinct was to lie.

I wonder if the selling dealer and the repair dealer have an understanding about the importance of making repairs for each other that do not exceed 5% of MSRP?

OP, you have a generous spirit and I hope they do right by you. I think you're entitled to more than a FAY dash.

Best,

/Don

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
According to the OP, it's damage over 5% of MSRP or paint damage in excess of $500.

Do i understand the OP say the entire door was replaced? That certainly sounds like more than 5% of MSRP.

Dealers do get a fair amount of lot damage which they usually clean up in house. I'm professionally and personally close to some car dealers and sympathetic to such things. But replacing an entire door on a vette seems like something that should be disclosed and it's even more troubling that the GM's first instinct was to lie.

I wonder if the selling dealer and the repair dealer have an understanding about the importance of making repairs for each other that do not exceed 5% of MSRP?

OP, you have a generous spirit and I hope they do right by you. I think you're entitled to more than a FAY dash.

Best,

/Don

The entire door shell can be bought at any of the online GM parts house for around $850 so I am sure they got it for less than that. The majority of the repair was removing all the parts from original door and install into new door and painting. MSRP on my car was $78,000 ... 5% would required a $3900 repair bill.

I am definitely not happy about the situation ... but legally there is not much I can do so why stress over it ? The repaint is actually pretty good .. and I am sure less OP than factory. Here is pic of car after I removed the stripes and before installing Carbon Flash emblems. Except for door alignment it looks great.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
If a new car has been repaired for damages that do not exceed five percent of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, then the dealer does not have to tell you about the damage unless you ask.
That doesn't sound right on a $70G new car.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess for future reference for everyone .. anytime you buy a new car ... just ASK if its ever been repaired .... they have to disclose any amount if you ask ... and of course get it in writing.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Dmhines...I feel bad for you. But...

People would be surprised at how many vehicles are damaged at the factory, in-transit & at the dealership. Most never know.

If it makes you feel any better, my driver's door came from the factory with horrible alignment. No dealer damage. It was so bad, I almost refused delivery. It got fixed. It happens.

You have the right perspective on the situation.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm curious how a C7 made it out of the factory with a misaligned door. Have you seen any of the factory assembly line videos? There appears to be multiple gap and alignment checks before they roll off the line. I actually used that argument today .. saying there is no way that car left factory like that ... I told them I saw it on How its Made - Dream cars! lol

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Alan
Dealer associations have lobbyists.....consumers don't

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Alan
Dealer associations have lobbyists.....consumers don't :mad:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm curious how a C7 made it out of the factory with a misaligned door. Have you seen any of the factory assembly line videos? There appears to be multiple gap and alignment checks before they roll off the line. I actually used that argument today .. saying there is no way that car left factory like that ... I told them I saw it on How its Made - Dream cars! lol
Those guys were playing to the cameras...ha!!!

In all seriousness, that line moves pretty fast. These cars are designed to go together with a minimum of adjustment. Thinking my alignment issue had more to do with a poorly manufactured door & not sloppy factory assembly.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just picked up car ... Door is aligned, all overspray is gone .... I need to call the body shop tomorrow and see exactly what the problem was with the door. General Manager not in ... Spoke with Service Manager about FAY Dash ... he took the print out of the part # and picture I gave him and said he would make a copy and put it in GM's desk so they can discuss tomorrow about ordering it for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts