Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a bunch of folks mention to not let the dealer wash your car before delivery.
Is this just related to having the honor of the first wash? Or is there something inherently "bad" about the dealer car wash?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
OMG. Here it comes. ;)

Reactions: usmcstinger

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have never seen that mentioned in any thread, however having the honor of the first wash seems like a nice thought. Several months ago while visiting my dealer , i saw a c7 that had just been brought in from what i think must have been a car transport from the factory. It was a velocity yellow and much to my surprise it had quite a bit of mud on it's nose. I was only able to see the very front of the vette, but i would think that there must have been a bit more throughout the rest 0f the car. Now what would you have the dealer do? I was quite bothered by this because i thought that all our c7's were shipped with a cover on them. Whats up with the mud. Jmc

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Very few dealers (if any) hand wash cars. They typically use automated systems of varying quality. If they use a "touchless" system and have trained their personnel in proper drying techniques and in meticulous care taken with the drying mircofiber towels, then presumably it could be OK. Many of us feel it is far safer to wash our cars ourselves to ensure that dirt isn't ground into the finish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I should be taking delivery of my long awaited toy in late may and i'll keep that in mind when the time comes to pick it up. Thanks jmc

·
Registered
827 Posts
Solution...Provide them with the wash mitt and towels and tell them you wish to be present.

In fact, I plan to be there to watch my vette come off the truck and watch it go through the entire process until it's turned over to me.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Charlie Dog has a great plan. I also want to be present when my car arrives at the dealership.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm a manager in a new car store and I cringe when a car is getting ready for delivery.One wash mitt and chamois for body,tires,wheels and jambs.Maybe Chevy dealers are different.lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Solution...Provide them with the wash mitt and towels and tell them you wish to be present.

In fact, I plan to be there to watch my vette come off the truck and watch it go through the entire process until it's turned over to me.
I will b doing the same...

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a new 2008 Corvette red convertible. A great car at a really great price. But as we were ready to leave, the sun had set and the sodium lights were on showing several swirl marks in the paint, probably from brushing off dust with a broom. Tore up the purchase contract and the dealer said come back in a few days after they had it fixed. Upon return the swirls could be seen in sunlight. Waiting for dusk, the car now looked like it had been steel pad rubbed all over. I guess they used a cleaner wax. At the time the best I found was it would take about $2000 to remove the swirls, but then the clearcoat would have been almost if not totally gone. So I passed. If you don't want swirls, do not go through a car wash with rotating brushes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hate the thought of someone washing the car with a bucket of dirty water and a mitt used for the wheels and rocker panel areas. And you think the plastic shipping cover left marks?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I saw one sitting on a showroom floor, and I said to the sales person, "I thought you said your guys do not cause buffer swirls." He said, "They don't." I said, "Well, I was just over there looking at that red one, and it has buffer swirl marks." He said, "They come from Bowling Green that way."

How many here would believe him?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hate the thought of someone washing the car with a bucket of dirty water and a mitt used for the wheels and rocker panel areas. And you think the plastic shipping cover left marks?
I am convinced that the plastic shipping cover contributed to clear coat scratches on the top of my rear spoiler and perhaps the trunk lid. I do not have paint issues anywhere else and I am not educated enough in paint to appreciate orange peel. I will eventually have paint correction and possibly CQuartz Finest applied. One step at a time.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
There is absolutely no question the shipping cover can cause marring and scratches, no matter how soft it is, environmental debris caught between the cover and the paint will just grind on it when subjected to the wind of moving. The only real way to keep the surface pristine is the adhesive Mylar sheets that others use or covered transport.The cover is supposed to seal the car off, but sometimes, that's not happening.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There is absolutely no question the shipping cover can cause marring and scratches, no matter how soft it is, environmental debris caught between the cover and the paint will just grind on it when subjected to the wind of moving. The only real way to keep the surface pristine is the adhesive Mylar sheets that others use or covered transport.The cover is supposed to seal the car off, but sometimes, that's not happening.
I agree Glen. The only "good" news is that the scratches are not deep and I am confident that they can be polished out. It's kind of strange to put so much into engineering a car such as this and then not protect it in transport. I guess that it's not any stranger than a dealership doing things like bad wash jobs, pre-installing front license plate frames that scuff the paint on the nose, or leaving the adhesive (that attaches the plastic covering inside the interior) un-removed. Add to that my car sat on the showroom floor for one week before I bought it. Who knows what happened in that period of time?

Then I take a step back and realize that 99% of people are not about the details of cars like perhaps we are. It is meant to be used and driven, enjoyed and even thrashed now and then. It is a 2014 car, not a museum piece. The "good intentions" of the manufacturers and dealers are kind of like the old saying: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

So, at the end of the day, if it bothers me, I can get it fixed. If it doesn't, I will live with it, move on, and enjoy the heck out of this car!

Reactions: Area 473

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yup, easily fixed...every one I've seen comes back to gloss with a med foam pad/orbital/meg 205.. At least the few I've done...it's all clear coat abrasion, nothing more. GM obviously thought the cover would stay airtight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had 8 Corvettes and I refused the dealer prep on one of the 8. It turned out to be the only "lemon" Corvette I've owned. Sold it in less than 6 months. Coincidence? Probably. They washed my new one, an easily swirlled LRG, and it came out just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts