Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to order my Corvette Stingray from a dealer out of state. I believe they know the car well and sell many corvettes. But a few items I'd like to ask my follow members for advice.
This is my first corvette. I had a shipper pick up the car and notified the dealer in plenty of time. It had 10 miles on the car - seemed high but I'll live with it. I asked the dealer to write the miles on the shippers contract hoping to stop any add'l miles be added.

My questions
- they said that they did not have time to detail my car before it was shipped. Which as BS because they had several days notice and if I were there in person check in hand that car would have been detailed. Good news is they agreed to pay for it and just to send them a bill.

From your experience what does detail mean. Does it mean that a Chevy dealer should clean the car or my local hand wash and get it a full detailed for a fair amount. I'm confused what might be missed if it's done by someone other than a dealer. Any advice would be appreciated. I take deliver tomorrow and have high hopes and honestly a little anxiety about the delivery.

What would you do? take it to the car wash you trust who will hand wax and detail in and out for $150.00. Is that fare in your opinion? Should a dealer be the one that does this for other reasons??

Thanks in Advance.... RS

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll review your link. I believe it was me overthinking that the dealer might have other items to adjusted while in the process of detailing. Thanks again- I'll review your post for the process. Have a great weekend.

RS

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The words Detail and Dealer should never be used in the same sentence. If you saw the back garage where most of this is done you would have a heart attack.

·
Administrator
16,310 Posts
RS aka dbay, are you perhaps also thinking of the pre-delivery inspection? The selling dealer would have done that upon receiving your Stingray and that is where there may be some "other items to adjusted" as mentioned in your post. That is done independent of the detailing.:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
dbay, I'll tell you right away the dealer or any dealer can not come any where near what Glen e can do for you. If you have never detailed a car in your life just use Glen e directions and you will be totally amazed. It's very easy, just follow his instructions. Your really kind of lucky the dealer didn't have time to "Detail" your new C7. Detailing is a love affair, personal experience with your car. It's a Pride of Ownership kind of thing. All that being said if for some reason you don't feel like detailing it yourself, check around with some local Corvette Clubs and see would they would recommend. Good luck with your Vette and enjoy. J.H.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
dbay, congrats on your order! You will be better off detailing the Vette yourself, or as posted above find a detailing expert in your area. Post some pictures when your C7 masterpiece arrives,

SF
Rick

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lol I almost spilled my drink on my computer when I heard that you wanted the dealer to detail the car. Just pray that no one has touched the paint at the dealership since it arrived.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
What ever you do, read Glen e's link first! Do not let the dealer or any car wash touch your C7. PERIOD!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I instructed dealer to not wash or buff the paint as I plan to have it detailed. Mild orange peel on the sides of the car. Just finished 2nd step per glen e detailing procedure. Final sealing step tomorrow. Used the $50 Harbor Freight DA polisher with 4 inch pads. Takes longer but I have more control of the machine. The DA is not a powerful as a Flex 3401 but you don't need to do any paint correction like I did on my other cars, just takes more working time. Car looks stunning. Thanks Glen

DSC_0066.JPG

Reactions: PE009
1 - 12 of 12 Posts