Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in to update the dim instrument cluster and a couple minor things, and my service manager tells me there is a new update (13417...Engine Protection Mode Activated During Aggressive Drive), which involved "reprogram ECM and IPC). I did not think much of this since I don't track my car or anything. The car took overnight to finish, which was a lot longer than I or the the service manager expected.
Anyway, I took my car back, hoping my instrument cluster would not be crazy dim anymore. I got much more than I ever expected.
First, the dim cluster is gone! The navigation still flickers intermittently, but my manager said that there is an anticipated fix for this soon.
So I'm driving out of the parking lot, and I noticed a subtle but very noticeable increase in performance in the car. I thought maybe I'm imagining, but after 2 days of driving more than 100 miles, I can confidently say the following:
1. The torque has improved substantially between 1200 - 2000 rpm. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Pfadt engine tune because of my disappointment with low end torque. Maybe I'm used to my viper SRT (which I sold in 2011), because I truly felt that anything under 2000 rpm in the C7 was unusable. NOW, I can't say that anymore. I can be lugging along at 70mph in 7th, and the RPM is barely 1200, and I can definitely feel a tug when I push in some gas. Before the update, no can do. So, did this update really improved the low end torque on my car? I can now say that THIS IS WHAT IT's SUPPOSED TO BE!!!! I can now confidently say that this car has very usable power between 1500 and 2000rpm. I know you guys might be asking who cares how it is at this low rpm. Well, we all know that it's a great car above 3500rpm. But now, I am not just happy above 3500 rpm, but I'm super happy below 2500rpm, which is where most of my driving is. This is my DD, and I've driven almost 2500 freeway miles in less than 8 weeks of ownership.

2. NPP exhaust is louder. REALLY!!!! Before the update, anything under 1700 rpm has no power nor grunt. Now, along with more power, comes louder grunts. The exhaust starts grunting at around 1300rpm and becomes very loud at about 2100 rpm.

Overall, I don't know what that the ECM reprogramming did, but I am surprisingly happy with the results. I just wanted to let you know what I've experienced. By the way, my overall experience with my Chevy Dealership is excellent. Except for the missing Starbuck coffee and seats (we had to stand next to a counter where the service manager sits), everyone treated me as well as at my Lexus dealer. I am very happy with my dealership.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I took my car in to update the dim instrument cluster and a couple minor things, and my service manager tells me there is a new update (13417...Engine Protection Mode Activated During Aggressive Drive), which involved "reprogram ECM and IPC). I did not think much of this since I don't track my car or anything. The car took overnight to finish, which was a lot longer than I or the the service manager expected.
Anyway, I took my car back, hoping my instrument cluster would not be crazy dim anymore. I got much more than I ever expected.
First, the dim cluster is gone! The navigation still flickers intermittently, but my manager said that there is an anticipated fix for this soon.
So I'm driving out of the parking lot, and I noticed a subtle but very noticeable increase in performance in the car. I thought maybe I'm imagining, but after 2 days of driving more than 100 miles, I can confidently say the following:
1. The torque has improved substantially between 1200 - 2000 rpm. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Pfadt engine tune because of my disappointment with low end torque. Maybe I'm used to my viper SRT (which I sold in 2011), because I truly felt that anything under 2000 rpm in the C7 was unusable. NOW, I can't say that anymore. I can be lugging along at 70mph in 7th, and the RPM is barely 1200, and I can definitely feel a tug when I push in some gas. Before the update, no can do. So, did this update really improved the low end torque on my car? I can now say that THIS IS WHAT IT's SUPPOSED TO BE!!!! I can now confidently say that this car has very usable power between 1500 and 2000rpm. I know you guys might be asking who cares how it is at this low rpm. Well, we all know that it's a great car above 3500rpm. But now, I am not just happy above 3500 rpm, but I'm super happy below 2500rpm, which is where most of my driving is. This is my DD, and I've driven almost 2500 freeway miles in less than 8 weeks of ownership.

2. NPP exhaust is louder. REALLY!!!! Before the update, anything under 1700 rpm has no power nor grunt. Now, along with more power, comes louder grunts. The exhaust starts grunting at around 1300rpm and becomes very loud at about 2100 rpm.

Overall, I don't know what that the ECM reprogramming did, but I am surprisingly happy with the results. I just wanted to let you know what I've experienced. By the way, my overall experience with my Chevy Dealership is excellent. Except for the missing Starbuck coffee and seats (we had to stand next to a counter where the service manager sits), everyone treated me as well as at my Lexus dealer. I am very happy with my dealership.
Maybe this is the fix for the poor throttle response owners have been complaining about. Good to know. I wonder if you'll see an improvement in the 0-60 time?

booie

booie

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Glad it performs better, but I'll wait until I need warrany service or whatever. The dusk thing does not bother me, and don't much care if I get 15% more TQ or .1 sec in a 0-60. Not worth the trip to the dealer for me....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car was built on 11/04. Vin 6123. I agree with you, Glen, but for me, since I was at the dealer for something else; there was noise from the passenger side, and we found that the weatherstripping on the passenger side was coming loose. Booie, I'm not really sure how much faster it is, but the funny thing is afternoon, I was in eco mode, and forgot about it when I exited back onto the freeway. As I sped up, I gave it some gas, and when the engine turned from v4 to v8, the car literally surged and the exhaust went from silence to wide open mode.....it was weird....I let off and tried it again, and it felt a bit like a turbocharged. This never happened before the update. Before, if I was in eco mode and let in some gas, it would instantly go to v8 and I could feel the car speed up, but no difference in sound and no surge of power. :)
My wife just test drove it, and she also definitely felt the difference in power.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
It would be interesting to know what the cutoff VIN is for which ones need the update, and which ones already have it installed at the factory.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It would be interesting to know what the cutoff VIN is for which ones need the update, and which ones already have it installed at the factory.
If you want to find out if you need the update, call your service department and give them your VIN. :)

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I took my car in to update the dim instrument cluster and a couple minor things, and my service manager tells me there is a new update (13417...Engine Protection Mode Activated During Aggressive Drive), which involved "reprogram ECM and IPC)...
This is very interesting and based on your description and observations, is different and more comprehensive than the earlier re-flash.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Double check the application, it looks like this may be only for base model 7 speeds.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Based on what?
Based on a post from another forum from someone who read the TSB, I have nothing more, that's why I said. "check the application".

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The dealer (hopefully) will be able to sort it out. This was the first bulletin:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Interior Lighting Service Bulletin 361361
NHTSA: Action Number: 10054480 Service Bulletin Number: 361361
Report Date:
Dec 01, 2013
Component:
Interior Lighting

Summary: Gm: the instrument panel lighting may be too low and can not be adjusted to a brighter setting. A software updated has been released to address this concern. *js

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I'll throw this out there as well, most likely it was the update that made the improvements you're seeing, but also note it could have been as simple as resetting your computer. These cars or any car today that is basically computer control will have different parameters that get set, i.e. timing, based on things like the type of gas that you are using. So if for some reason low octane gas was put into the gas tank the computer would adjust for this so not to damage the engine. Then in theory if your next tank of gas was high octane gas then again the computer would/should adjust and give you more power. However I've seen times when the computer didn't automatically adjust to the higher octane gas so what owners had to do was basically reset the computer, usually done by disconnecting the battery cable for a minute or two. This happen quite a bit on the first new Camaro's because the dealers were filling the gas tanks with the cheapest gas they could and owners were complaining about lack of performance. After resetting the computer all was good again. Chevy later fixed this issue.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
My car was built on 11/04. Vin 6123. I agree with you, Glen, but for me, since I was at the dealer for something else; there was noise from the passenger side, and we found that the weatherstripping on the passenger side was coming loose. Booie, I'm not really sure how much faster it is, but the funny thing is afternoon, I was in eco mode, and forgot about it when I exited back onto the freeway. As I sped up, I gave it some gas, and when the engine turned from v4 to v8, the car literally surged and the exhaust went from silence to wide open mode.....it was weird....I let off and tried it again, and it felt a bit like a turbocharged. This never happened before the update. Before, if I was in eco mode and let in some gas, it would instantly go to v8 and I could feel the car speed up, but no difference in sound and no surge of power. :)
My wife just test drove it, and she also definitely felt the difference in power.
Just a thought Vincentesq: check to see if as a result of the update/being in the shop, your NPP setting got changed from "Auto" to "Off". If it were changed to Off and you previously had it set to Auto, then in Eco now it will go from quite to wide open when you give it gas. Further, if that is the case, just the change in the accompanying exhaust sound could impact your perception of speed/turbocharged feeling without any actual change in the true speed. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
so just called my dealer and set up a apt, I need the new performance flash.LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a thought Vincentesq: check to see if as a result of the update/being in the shop, your NPP setting got changed from "Auto" to "Off". If it were changed to Off and you previously had it set to Auto, then in Eco now it will go from quite to wide open when you give it gas. Further, if that is the case, just the change in the accompanying exhaust sound could impact your perception of speed/turbocharged feeling without any actual change in the true speed. :cool:
Will do that tomorrow and let you all know.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts