Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to detail the exhaust tips?

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I have used Mother's Chrome Polish with a microfiber cloth. Its easy, does a fine job and lasts nicely. Here is a picture taken this morning of RedHots and I did them about 150 miles ago.

Exhaust tips.jpg

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have used Mother's Chrome Polish with a microfiber cloth. Its easy, does a fine job and lasts nicely. Here is a picture taken this morning of RedHots and I did them about 150 miles ago.
Exactly jeff....I'm just a sucker for power tools....[insert Tim Allen macho gruff here]

·
Registered
579 Posts

View attachment 3987
Looks good, If I may suggest getting a buff ball for a drill this will give you a more polished look
pJA.jpg

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your input, much appreciated! Glen, I remembering you telling me but I couldn't locate it on a search. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Does not seem to degrade but I'll do it every 6 months...it takes all of 3 min....

That being said I would not buy OC just for these pipes, I just did it because I own the Oc anyway....

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Another thing to note is that its obviously better to protect them from the get go (like Glen has) rather than let a ton of carbon build up accumulate (which we run into a LOT, especially on cars with big motors that run very rich).

OC is definitely a good protection...so is CQuartz Dlux (which also works good for wheel faces). Having the tips and/or wheels polished and protected means most grime will rinse off, leaving relatively little to have to clean...and what is left can just be cleaned with soap and water. The C7 we did, we applied CQuartz Finest to the wheels and tips...and cleaning them is a breeze, even if its been 2-3 weeks since his last wash.

An ounce of preventive is worth a pound of cure :)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Someone turned me on to Nevr Dull. It cleans everything off the exhaust tips with very little effort. Here's a link to their website (you can usually get it at your local automotive store).

Home Page

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Interesting thread...I might add OF COURSE you can you do a "by hand" method...but when polishing, a power ball/cone is just like a orbital polisher...the hand cannot move at 1500 rpm so the surface is smoother (and therefore more reflective) with a tool - particularly on the inside tube of each pipe - cheap and effective...and the most fun with a tool you already own: you corless drill!...

choose your polishing medium - every one mentioned here is a good metal polish....

·
Registered
117 Posts
After washing the car I use Sprayways World Best Glass Cleaner Ammonia Free and Streakless. I also use this on the chrome wheels. I found that it actually makes stainless steel shinier with use. Use it on the stainless steel fridge no smudges etc. If you want to use something after cleaning with the spray you can. The tips won't have that dull brownish type tinge to them using this product fast easy inexpensive and multifunctional.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
After washing the car I use Sprayways World Best Glass Cleaner Ammonia Free and Streakless. I also use this on the chrome wheels. I found that it actually makes stainless steel shinier with use. Use it on the stainless steel fridge no smudges etc. If you want to use something after cleaning with the spray you can. The tips won't have that dull brownish type tinge to them using this product fast easy inexpensive and multifunctional.
Please keep in mind that if you are referring to the factory wheels, the chrome is clear coated, so what you're working with is paint, not chrome. You should not use metal polishes or cleaners designed for metal on OEM wheels.

·
Registered
117 Posts
SAMs club has the Sprayway World's Best Glass Cleaner and I also found it in my local grocery store but SAMs club for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts