Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I believe that could occur, and up to recently did occur, were if not for the fact that GM now has a protocol of, on major warranty claims relating to the powertrain, requiring their dealerships to make two specific tests to determine if a motor has been modified BEFORE they will approve a warranty claim. One of those tests includes determining whether any of the computer systems were modified, and the other whether the total power rating has ever been "enhanced" over factory. Can you blaim GM for not wanting to potentially spend between $18K (LT1) and $30K (LT4) on a motor warranty claim, let alone the potential consequent damage the torque tube, transmssion, e diff and more.

Candidly, GM is one of a very few that will not automatically void your warranty if your failure occurred while you were on a race track.

Having said that, we are on this planet once, and if you wish to go for it, that is a personal choice --- YOURS, not anyone else's on the forum. If you choose to do that, with your knowing and being able to afford the possible consequences, GREAT for you!

If I were going to enhance the power of my C7, only two places I would go, e.g., Callaway and Lingenfelter (the same two as mjw930 mentioned).
Didn't know some of that and thanks for the recommendation. And of course I don't blame GM for refusing to pay for a damaged motor caused by the addition of a SC or any other major modification. I never indicated that I thought they should cover it. I simply relayed what I heard first hand from a high level person at a dealership in my area and was wondering 1) if dealers had the flexibility to extend such a benefit and 2) whether anyone else had heard of, or had been offered, a similar assurance of coverage. I especially wanted/want to know if someone added a SC to a C7, damage actually occurred as a result of that modification, and whether someone's dealer covered the repair (parts and/or labor). Based on what you shared, I now know that GM has a policy against it. Good to know. That likely means that any dealer that covers a repair under these circumstances would be doing so out of his own pocket - something that isn't likely to occur. It also means that any verbal statements assuring coverage in this circumstance probably shouldn't be trusted. Thanks for the info elegant.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
To avoid highly excessive cylinder pressures, it is common to reduce the engine compression ratio when adding a supercharger or even a turbocharger. The Z06 compression ratio is 10 to 1, compared to 11.5 to 1 for the Stingray.

Further, when an engine is being built from the ground up as a boosted engine, the cylinder bores are sometimes reduced a bit to provide for better cylinder sealing.

For these reasons, I would be very cautious about any aftermarket supercharger bolt on upgrade system that does not address in some way the compression ratio and cylinder sealing concerns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To avoid highly excessive cylinder pressures, it is common to reduce the engine compression ratio when adding a supercharger or even a turbocharger. The Z06 compression ratio is 10 to 1, compared to 11.5 to 1 for the Stingray.

Further, when an engine is being built from the ground up as a boosted engine, the cylinder bores are sometimes reduced a bit to provide for better cylinder sealing.

For these reasons, I would be very cautious about any aftermarket supercharger bolt on upgrade system that does not address in some way the compression ratio and cylinder sealing concerns.
That makes a lot of sense MR. What bothers me is that I've spoken to two supercharger sellers/installers who have quoted a price on the job and I know it didn't include any head work or piston changes. Very good point.

·
Registered
479 Posts
No actually Auto authority which is a well known BMW tuner. I only replaced a chip, intake system and exhaust. I realize that Lingenfelter is a great outfit but I have heard that modifications can affect resale value and longevity of the vehicle. I got this information from a Corvette Salesman and enthusiast at one of the bigger dealers. Personally, the mods I did on my BMW tripped the sensors.

·
Banned
77 Posts

This is why you should seek out a professional. Don't trust any vendor selling you a SC system. The cyl pressure issue can easily an safely be addressed via controlling the boost and tuning to you exact engine. Not Clyde work is required if done this way. This is simple math.

Now if your interested in paying Callaway pricing I'll do the work at there price and stand behind the work and the engine.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Based upon my own experience, I would be in the camp of "I need my warranty", so anything that voids it would be out for me. The more we drive, the more squeaks and rattles and glitches with the power seats and the infotainment, etc. small stuff pops up. Its no big deal, because I've got a fabu dealer and he fixes everything under warranty. I simply can't comprehend not having it though.

If you decide to pass on the SC, but have some $$ available, many have said more days at driving school is the best investment we can make to make our cars perform better. I tend to agree after doing the 2-day.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
That's right Suzy. For most of us, the best way of making our cars faster is to push down more on the throttle, and to know when, where and how to do that properly and safely.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Did a NC GM dealer/performance shop install your aftermarket supercharger or ...

No actually Auto authority which is a well known BMW tuner. I only replaced a chip, intake system and exhaust. I realize that Lingenfelter is a great outfit but I have heard that modifications can affect resale value and longevity of the vehicle. I got this information from a Corvette Salesman and enthusiast at one of the bigger dealers. Personally, the mods I did on my BMW tripped the sensors.
Auto authority is popular but the gold standard in Dinan. Regardless, even they have had issues so in no way is it a slam on Auto Authority. In the early days Dinan had a lot of growing pains but they worked through it.

But to you point on diminished value, you are spot one EXCEPT for Lingenfelter and Calloway. Both of those shops bring true value on resale, no other shops do. That doesn't mean other shops are worse or provide less performance, it's just the reality of decades of quality engineering these two shops bring to GM performance.

Personally I wouldn't do an SC on an LT1, I would do the 630HP normally aspirated Lingenfelter package.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Auto authority is popular but the gold standard in Dinan. Regardless, even they have had issues so in no way is it a slam on Auto Authority. In the early days Dinan had a lot of growing pains but they worked through it.

But to you point on diminished value, you are spot one EXCEPT for Lingenfelter and Calloway. Both of those shops bring true value on resale, no other shops do. That doesn't mean other shops are worse or provide less performance, it's just the reality of decades of quality engineering these two shops bring to GM performance.

Personally I wouldn't do an SC on an LT1, I would do the 630HP normally aspirated Lingenfelter package.
The love the idea of having a Lingenfelter package on my car. I would love to have that done but I think I will wait to get a faster next generation Corvette. I have a convertible so I would get that on a coupe as opposed to a vert. I have seen what Lingenfelter does to cars over the years in magazines and video so I am fully aware of their expertise. I would be hesitant mainly because of the unknown in resale/trade in.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lots of great advice here. Thanks to all who contributed. I'm still not sure what I'll do but, at this point, I'm leaning toward preserving my warranty. In the back of my mind is the Chevy Silverado I bought new back in 1988. Within the first two weeks, the driver's side window broke (at a fast food drive-thru window no less). A few days later, my fiancé got out on the passenger side and the entire rubber door seal just fell off onto the ground when she opened the door. I sold the truck a days later and swore I'd never buy another Chevy product again. I didn't, for 26 years anyway - then the C7 came out. So far, even with the few quirks, I still love the car. Do I want it to go even faster? Yep. Will I ever not want it to go faster? Maybe . . . after I'm long gone.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts