Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a somewhat random question for the experts. Does anyone know why the Corvette design team decided to go with a digital screen flanked by two analog gauges as opposed to an all-digital dash? Just curious if there was some advantage to sticking with analog gauges as a backup or something.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
In racing (and I believe aerospace), analog has proven to be more informative with a quick glance as you just need to see a range, vs the actual number reading. Porsche and others have been doing it for years, I have sat thru internal meetings with Porsche engineers and heard them say it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
In racing, it was common for decades to install analog gauges where the "normal" condition would be indicated by the gauge needle pointing straight up to the 12 o clock position. Then, by a glance, the driver could see if some parameter was not normal. Reading a bunch of digits requires more of a driver's attention when that driver should be concentrating on the apex of his corner.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
In racing, it was common for decades to install analog gauges where the "normal" condition would be indicated by the gauge needle pointing straight up to the 12 o clock position. Then, by a glance, the driver could see if some parameter was not normal. Reading a bunch of digits requires more of a driver's attention when that driver should be concentrating on the apex of his corner.
Yep, all my gauges were rotated in the housing on both my race cars and race boats so normal was @ 12:00. A quick glance and anything abnormal sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We always had analog as well as digital. Digital more precise for temperature and precise measurements, especially when downloading later (we use AIM Pista XL in our track cars, you can monitor so many things with it). For a fast glance you can't beat big easy to read analog gauges. It makes total sense to me why they have both. You have to remember that they are now offering the PDR which will require digital readouts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts