Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '17 Z06 is in the process of getting a few upgrades...to include Frankenstein ED heads and cam. I've got about 15000 miles on my Z06 and thought I would share what the blower, pistons, and intake valves look like after 15000 miles. Additionally, there was a newer silverado in the shop for a new engine. The owner had about 140,000 miles and due to a valve dropping, caused the piston to find a new home outside of the crankcase. The shop believes the valve snapped or otherwise failed due to the coking on the intake valves from the direct injection, but who knows. The silverado was well taken care of, the owner just said it happened while he was driving normally on the freeway. In anycase, here is the carnage:

Silverado
IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5808.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG

My Z06
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5815.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5805.JPG
IMG_5810.JPG

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to be clear, I do regular oil changes, only use top tier gasoline, and have used the ACDELCO fuel system cleaner. I will be adding a catch can to my upgrades list!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing. Next time I'm down in SA love to see the car. Hope you come out to corvette invasion in July in Bastrop.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice writeup! Thanks for sharing. Next time I'm down in SA love to see the car. Hope you come out to corvette invasion in July in Bastrop.
Thanks! Anytime! I usually go to the Boerne Soda Pops shows...I am planning on going to Corvette Invasion, my car should be done and tuned in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Thanks! Anytime! I usually go to the Boerne Soda Pops shows...I am planning on going to Corvette Invasion, my car should be done and tuned in a couple weeks!
Sweet, looking forward to meeting you.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I have the base Elite catch can. Easy to install and cheap ($160) insurance for my engine. I empty it in the fall prior to winter storage. The can collects about 4 to 6 ounces of "gunk" which would otherwise bake on the valves. About 3-4 years ago there were lots of posts on SRF discussing the need for a can. IMHO, there is no downside to installing one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the base Elite catch can. Easy to install and cheap ($160) insurance for my engine. I empty it in the fall prior to winter storage. The can collects about 4 to 6 ounces of "gunk" which would otherwise bake on the valves. About 3-4 years ago there were lots of posts on SRF discussing the need for a can. IMHO, there is no downside to installing one.
Yeah I remember reading about the topic previously. While a catch can isnÂ’t perfect, its better than not having one. Eventually I plan on installing a weapon-x port injection kit...its crazy to me that GM acts like this is a non-issue on these direct injection cars

·
Registered
144 Posts
I haven't installed a catch can yet, but I routinely pull the Supercharger cover and clean the oil that has accumulated inside. I have about 8,300 miles on mu '17 Z06 and I have done this cleaning about 10 times. The blades on the supercharger still look clean like it hasn't ingested the oil, but I always get several ounces of oil out of the grooves and valleys when I clean. I guess a catch can might stop this so I really should get around to installing one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't installed a catch can yet, but I routinely pull the Supercharger cover and clean the oil that has accumulated inside. I have about 8,300 miles on mu '17 Z06 and I have done this cleaning about 10 times. The blades on the supercharger still look clean like it hasn't ingested the oil, but I always get several ounces of oil out of the grooves and valleys when I clean. I guess a catch can might stop this so I really should get around to installing one.
Yeah im right there with you. Just ordered an elite e2-x today. Fast shipping! I get it in on Thursday!

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Be careful installing a catch can on the supercharged engine. On the LT1, it is quite straightforward. Installation in an LT4 is not so clear. There are issues which are not so easy to work around on the LT4.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good point, though ive got the blower off for porting, so im aware of the pcv sitting under blower being otherwise hard to get to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cordes performance just installed a new mighty mouse solutions unit an posted on Facebook check it out I’m thrilled with there hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cordes performance just installed a new mighty mouse solutions unit an posted on Facebook check it out IÂ’m thrilled with there hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with the elite setup...seems pretty similar to the MMS setup. Im sure they both work well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts