121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I jacked my driver front up, removed the tire, got to the bolt, and it would not budge. I can tell it is not all the way down. Anyone else have an issue in getting the bolt started?

·
1,404 Posts
I jacked my driver front up, removed the tire, got to the bolt, and it would not budge. I can tell it is not all the way down. Anyone else have an issue in getting the bolt started?
You have to take the pressure off the leaf spring. Put a jack stand under the leaf and lower the car onto it. That should allow you to turn the bolt. Remember to turn it counterclockwise to lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
You have to take the pressure off the leaf spring. Put a jack stand under the leaf and lower the car onto it. That should allow you to turn the bolt. Remember to turn it counterclockwise to lower.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I did use another jack to put tension on the leaf spring, but just a little. I used the jack to lift the car just a little on the leaf, and off of the jack point. Should I lower the car completely onto the jack that is supporting the leaf spring?

·
1,404 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention, I did use another jack to put tension on the leaf spring, but just a little. I used the jack to lift the car just a little on the leaf, and off of the jack point. Should I lower the car completely onto the jack that is supporting the leaf spring?
That what I did. The jack stand was basically supporting the full weight on that corner. I didn’t even remove the tires to access the bolt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That what I did. The jack stand was basically supporting the full weight on that corner. I didn’t even remove the tires to access the bolt.

So, you placed the jack underneath the leaf springs, and raised the car that way? Did you raise each corner off the ground, or just a little to put tension on the leaf spring?

·
1,404 Posts
So, you placed the jack underneath the leaf springs, and raised the car that way? Did you raise each corner off the ground, or just a little to put tension on the leaf spring?
I raised the whole car using a Quick Jack. Put one jack stand under the leaf on each side in the front and lowered the car so it's resting on the Jack stands. Did those two wheels and then repeat for the rear wheels.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank you all for these details. I lowered mine tonight primarily because I wanted a little bit more room at the roof when raised to the top of the lift.

I am really appreciative of the advice to drive it afterward. I was concerned I was doing something wrong when I took the back down and it was higher than when I started. Drove it about a mile but mostly in a parking lot with lots of speed bumps. Went over the speed bumps at lots of angles and a few trips around a small traffic circle and things settled down nicely.

Before I did any measurements or made any changes I set the tire pressure to 30psi in each tire. I marked my measuring spot with a piece of blue painters tape so all measurement were done at the same place on each corner. I did four turns on each bolt and decreased the ht by 3/8 of an inch. I marked each bolt with a red sharpie so I could count the revolutions. Which is much more than the 1mm/turn some have noted. I stopped at four turns because the rear bolts only had 4.5 turns in them from the factory. Also, if I slammed it to much I would get high centered when parking on the lift.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts