Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had a Corvette before, but comments in the owner's manual have me concerned. Can I expect to keep dumping oil into the engine between oil changes? I take good care of engines, and after decades of Japanese cars, I am not used to losing oil at all.

·
18,669 Posts
Never had to add any oil between my oil changes. At the same time, I am 'ole school and still change my oil every 3,000 miles. However, doesn't mean that I don't periodically check my oil between scheduled oil changes, especially during the first 5,000 miles that the rings are being broken it.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Never had to add any oil between my oil changes. At the same time, I am 'ole school and still change my oil every 3,000 miles. However, doesn't mean that I don't periodically check my oil between scheduled oil changes, especially during the first 5,000 miles that the rings are being broken it.

3000? I'm surprised at that, John......easily doubled with DEXOS spec oils today....

·
18,669 Posts
Yes, I am out of touch with some modern realities. GM says we are to use their "oil life monitor," and judging on that, many get 5000-7500 miles before changing their oil. I was gently chastised, in a one-to-one conversation, by Dave Hill, previous Corvette Chief Engineer, that I was "throwing my money away" by using the old 3,000 oil change routine. He was/is probably right. And yet, I still do that. Have had over 50 vehicles in my life, some approached 200,000 miles before I sold them, and not one had a motor problem, so maybe I am throwing my money away, but it is cheap insurance to me, i.e., new motor on my C6 Z06, for example would be $15,000....

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
It's ok, it's yours to do...I came from old school too, until I was shown a customers lease M3 a few years ago that was run 17000 miles with Mobil 1, NEVER a change and 3 Qts down. When torn down, every spec on the motor was still within spec......I then moved to a change every 5 or so. Now I change by time -annual- as I do 5k a year.......

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
There is another side to changing it every 3,000 miles some folks may not drive more than 3,000 miles a year and put their car away for the winter so it's always a good idea to change your oil before putting it away. Otherwise if you do drive your corvette 3,000 is a little soon you could go easily 5,000 and it's good for the environment.

Do corvettes burn oil? All cars burn some oil, they better or they're not doing their job. However you shouldn't be adding a quart of oil for example between oil changes.

·
Administrator
16,279 Posts
RedHot after 1900 miles in its (almost) first week has not shown any drop in the oil volume. I will be doing an early oil and filter change in the next week or so. Then intend on following the normal recommendations or at least 1 time per year if it happens to be a low mileage year (doubtful :) ).

Reactions: SCR2014Vette

·
Registered
873 Posts
There is another side to changing it every 3,000 miles some folks may not drive more than 3,000 miles a year and put their car away for the winter so it's always a good idea to change your oil before putting it away. Otherwise if you do drive your corvette 3,000 is a little soon you could go easily 5,000 and it's good for the environment.

Do corvettes burn oil? All cars burn some oil, they better or they're not doing their job. However you shouldn't be adding a quart of oil for example between oil changes.
Our forthcoming C7 will be the fourth vette with an Oil Monitoring System. In every owners manual, it has said to use the OMS but to change the oil no less than once per year. Occasionally, I have gotten to 1 year without get low on oil life, so if you have a garage queen, or store for the winter, it will be a good time to do your yearly oil change.

BTW - Of the three, the LS1 and LS7 both needed about 1 quart added before the first oil change. After that, very little oil consumption, although the LS7 is only about 1 1/2 years old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put over 70,000 miles on my 2005 and to the last day I never had to add oil between changes at 7500 mile intervals. It was usually just approaching the 1 quart low mark at the time of changing when the car got about 60,000 mile on it. Car was never raced and most miles were put on around town and yearly cross country trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the road in my S10 and right after I did the intake gasket. I saw a 2014 stingray not sure if it had a 350 or a 427 not sure anyways it was idling next to me at a stop light and i revved up a bit to see what it had and he smiled and revved as well and I smelled this full of burnt oil smell i mean it filled my cab (windows up ac on) I looked at my dash looking for issues i was like fuk, the light turned green i took off not as a race but the corvette went ahead of me and i saw a big cloud blackish smoke as he reached the top end of his gears (im guessing 2500- 3k rpms? 1st and 2nd) but yea idk might be just like all the other high performance engines. Run em hard for a day / tear it down for a day or longer. I would like someone to debunk this because I will buy a corvette in the next few years. I was born in a 1987 i-roc z28 camaro 350 sbc and yea its in my blood.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Elegant, if you are old school, hope you are not using Wolf's Head 30 wt non-detergent on that 3000 mile oil change cycle. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was on the road in my S10 and right after I did the intake gasket. I saw a 2014 stingray not sure if it had a 350 or a 427 not sure anyways it was idling next to me at a stop light and i revved up a bit to see what it had and he smiled and revved as well and I smelled this full of burnt oil smell i mean it filled my cab (windows up ac on) I looked at my dash looking for issues i was like fuk, the light turned green i took off not as a race but the corvette went ahead of me and i saw a big cloud blackish smoke as he reached the top end of his gears (im guessing 2500- 3k rpms? 1st and 2nd) but yea idk might be just like all the other high performance engines. Run em hard for a day / tear it down for a day or longer. I would like someone to debunk this because I will buy a corvette in the next few years. I was born in a 1987 i-roc z28 camaro 350 sbc and yea its in my blood.

It was not a 350 or 427 if it was a 2014. My guess it was not a 2014 either. Short answer....do not worry about burning oil in a LT1 C7.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
It was not a 350 or 427 if it was a 2014. My guess it was not a 2014 either.
Yeah, that sounds a little fishy. By the way, the 2014s have a 378 under the hood.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put 67,000 miles on my 98 vette before I sold it and bought a C7. Never burned a drop of oil. I used Mobil 1 in the C5 and now is the C7 and change it at 5000 miles. Not sure why anyone would use Dexos or anything else when Mobil 1 on sale is only $5 a quart and most dealers will use it if you ask on the free oil changes.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yeah, that sounds a little fishy. By the way, the 2014s have a 378 under the hood.
Actually I believe it is a 376 ci engine. But what's 2 ci between friends?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
3600 miles and no oil usage at all. For that matter no problems, squeaks or rattles either. None of my Corvettes since the 50's have used oil. cutnout aka Charleie

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Never had a Corvette before, but comments in the owner's manual have me concerned. Can I expect to keep dumping oil into the engine between oil changes? I take good care of engines, and after decades of Japanese cars, I am not used to losing oil at all.
Have over 3000 miles and not burned any measurable amount. Followed the recommended break-in proceedure but did not baby the car. When it said I could use full throttle I did and do periodically now.
Am keeping my Z51 1/2 quart low to avoid oil carrying over with the burped air. Also recently put in a clean oil separator to help with the burped oil mist issue and a catch can to reduce the amount of PCV oil hitting the back of the intake valves. The can was not installed long enough to have any significant accumulation of the PCV oil.
My prior C6 never needed oil between oil changes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts