Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say a dealer has five allocations, and 10 customer orders waiting for allocations. Will the dealer give the highest profit-margin/least-discounted orders the allocations he has?

I'm curious since 2015 orders are coming down to the wire and as I understand it my dealer has allocations but my order hasn't been accepted by GM yet.

How does the allocation process work for dealers? Do they have so many per week, month, year? Do they have to wait for previous orders to be built and delivered before they get new allocations?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Orders placed in the system have no place to indicate whether they are eventually going to be sold to someone participating in a program. It's either a dealer stock order or a sold retail order.

A dealer can prioritize orders and I'm sure some put full price customers above program / discount customers but I doubt any dealer would ever admit to it.

There are a number of threads related to allocation but during a consensus cycle (2 weeks) dealers know how many cars they will be allocated. Further along in the allocation process, I believe on a weekly basis each Thursday the dealer finds out how their allocation match up against constraints and they can match their orders to their allocation. Each Tuesday, on weeks where they are allocating orders GM accepts the orders in the dealer's system and the orders move to status 2000.

For example a dealer may get a consensus report saying that in this cycle they will be able to order 20 cars broken down by type (Stingray, Z06, Coupe and Convertible). That number is arrived at based on allocation formulas that currently height recent sales higher than historical data. On the Thursday within the consensus cycle where orders are being allocated they will get a further breakdown showing how many of each constrained item they are allocated. The system will show then which orders in their queue are likely to be picked up that week based on constraints and whether they will be able to consume all of their allocation. Dealers at this point start calling customers that have orders with constrained items to see if they are willing to remove the constrained item to get their car accepted or they enter a dealer stock order without the constraints or they simply pass on the allocation. On Monday GM trues up all the orders vs. allocation and if there are dealers who pass on allocation other dealers may get supplementary (additional) allocation hence people getting calls on Monday from their dealers asking them if they want to forgo a certain option.

It's a bit of a dance when there are more orders than allocation or there are significant constraints with popular options like Z51 or CF roofs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The best way to avoid this situation is to deal with a large dealer who has numerous allocations, ie Kerbeck, Criswell, MacKauken (sp) etc. I would think the dealer would allocation those with the biggest profit first- just smart business, even if it is not so ethical and i am not saying it is right.

Reactions: VetteAzul

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would advise reading elegant's sticky threads about purchasing and allocations to be the most informed on that topic:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ordering-c7-corvette-thread-will-helpful.html
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...urgent-order-delivery-useful-information.html

That said, a dealer COULD totally prioritize the higher profit margin ones if he chooses. I know for a fact that one of the largest dealers was admitting to his on the Z06 orders when orders were first coming down. They were very bold in saying they were doing it though.

Most of the time though, we get on a 'list' and the dealers take us in order. The problem comes with the specific constraints within your order though. You would understand that better in the threads mentioned.

Good luck!

Reactions: VetteAzul

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Orders placed in the system have no place to indicate whether they are eventually going to be sold to someone participating in a program. It's either a dealer stock order or a sold retail order.

A dealer can prioritize orders and I'm sure some put full price customers above program / discount customers but I doubt any dealer would ever admit to it.

There are a number of threads related to allocation but during a consensus cycle (2 weeks) dealers know how many cars they will be allocated. Further along in the allocation process, I believe on a weekly basis each Thursday the dealer finds out how their allocation match up against constraints and they can match their orders to their allocation. Each Tuesday, on weeks where they are allocating orders GM accepts the orders in the dealer's system and the orders move to status 2000.

For example a dealer may get a consensus report saying that in this cycle they will be able to order 20 cars broken down by type (Stingray, Z06, Coupe and Convertible). That number is arrived at based on allocation formulas that currently height recent sales higher than historical data. On the Thursday within the consensus cycle where orders are being allocated they will get a further breakdown showing how many of each constrained item they are allocated. The system will show then which orders in their queue are likely to be picked up that week based on constraints and whether they will be able to consume all of their allocation. Dealers at this point start calling customers that have orders with constrained items to see if they are willing to remove the constrained item to get their car accepted or they enter a dealer stock order without the constraints or they simply pass on the allocation. On Monday GM trues up all the orders vs. allocation and if there are dealers who pass on allocation other dealers may get supplementary (additional) allocation hence people getting calls on Monday from their dealers asking them if they want to forgo a certain option.

It's a bit of a dance when there are more orders than allocation or there are significant constraints with popular options like Z51 or CF roofs.
So it seems like the dealer would have a pretty good idea by Friday if my order was going to be accepted , correct?

Mine is saying to check with them every Wednesday to see if GM accepted my order--but it sounds like the dealer should have more info as to what is happening and why my order hadn't been accepted by GM; they've been saying "we just have to wait and see when GM accepts your order"...

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yeah this is pretty much a lousy answer by the dealer. The question you have to ask is , how many allocations do you get this week ?and how many people are in front of me before you fill this one? if you get one they can be filled? If he says "you're the next to go, as soon as I get an allocation" then that's positive. you need to figure out where you are in his queue. I agree with Mark a dealer can move these around, but usually he just takes them in the order that he gets them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts