Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My Stingray has a scheduled build week of August 4th.
I don't know when they will begin building the 15's, but I assume that my car will be one of the last 14's.
My question:
Is it likely that any problems found with the early cars be fixed?
Can they switch things up or alter things on the line and make adjustments during production?
I am really looking forward to getting my car, and hope any bugs have been worked out.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Manufacturers are constantly doing what they call "running changes" to the cars, parts and build process throughout the year. They usually only wait for a model year change over if the "fix" is disruptive. Based on the ridiculously short MY changeover this year I think it's safe to say they don't have any significant "fixes" to apply and your last week build will incorporate everything they have learned over the last 12 months.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: PoconoG and elegant

·
18,670 Posts
"mjw930" has accurately described exactly what happens. There are so many parts that get slightly changed that we never know about. A GM employee told me about ten years ago, that for every one we are told about, there are at least ten we never hear about. More recently, about two years ago, I asked a GM employee if it would be fair to say that, on average, for each model about twenty-five or more parts are changed annually behind the scenes, and he said, "have you seen an 'off the record' nod?" -- as his head was nodding up and down -- and of course never attributed that comment to any person since.

I applaud timely improvements, whether they are in regards to a slightly-revised synchro that allows shifting to occur with less effort, modifying two parts that would allow quicker and easier and better assembly of those parts, etc. The days of waiting for the "model year change over" for the vast majority of those changes are over. Think of it this way, if you are getting a late in the model year car, and GM learned that they can reduce later warranty repairs by changing a part's composition 5%, would you, as is the purpose of this thread, want GM to have made that change when they learned about it two months ago, or, conversely, hold off making that change until the first day the 2015's come down the line (August 11th). GM constant improvement process is the same as is used by other car manufacturers.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
John, I am totally with you there. I would want them to roll the new changes in as soon as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts