Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......of tail lights especially from other Corvette owners? I do. Was at a local cruise-in the other day, a good amount of Vettes show up. One snarky guy (a C6 owner) just had to get the Camaro tail light reference in saying, "the C7 looks great, just can't warm up to the Camaro tail lights. I promptly showed him these pictures on my smart phone and said....."Where?". "Well it looks like it to me". My retort was, "you wouldn't say that if you had a C7"........and left it at that.

View attachment 12419 View attachment 12420

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Mostly why I don't go to shows, I don't care what they think of my car and don't care what they think of their car....love to meet other C7 owners for coffee and do quite often, but not interested in being "judged"....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Other than the tail lights are red, no similarity.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I do think there's a bit of family resemblance, and I don't think it's an accident, and I also don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not an Audi Corvette, is it?

The round tail lights would not have worked well with the rest of the car's design language; they would have looked "forced." And the Camaro isn't exactly an ugly car in any case so if its tail lights bear some resemblance (actually as of 2014 they don't) to the Vette's then that's fine. The important thing is, do the design elements work together to create a sweet-looking car? I'd say so.

Reactions: NCC74ME and Norm

·
Registered
231 Posts
there's even less resemblance now after Chevy changed the Camaro taillights recently. But I get why people talked, complained, commented on the similarities, etc before. But having seen them all in person a few times now, to me the thing really up for discussion would be someones personal preference and thoughts on moving away from the round taillights.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Corvette tail lights were not always round. Some in the late 1950s were not round.

So what if the Chevy Corvette and Chevy Camero both have tail lights which have some lines as their outer boundaries? I look somewhat like my cousins. There is no crime in that. My wife and her cousins... well that should be a crime, actually... Man!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't hang out with Camero owners just real sports car
type guys and gals. I care not what is said about the tail
lights. I own the best sports car made.
Oh by the way a REAL sports car has no
backseat. I usually see Camero's in my
rear view mirror.
Geo Vette

·
Registered
922 Posts
Corvette tail lights were not always round. Some in the late 1950s were not round.

So what if the Chevy Corvette and Chevy Camero both have tail lights which have some lines as their outer boundaries? I look somewhat like my cousins. There is no crime in that. My wife and her cousins... well that should be a crime, actually... Man!
1990 ZR1 tail lights are square.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1990 ZR1 tail lights are square.
I agree, but have seen people argue about them being square just because of the rounded corners. Either way, at first I didn't like the new lights, but the more I see them on the car the more I like them. And a bit ago I saw a C7 and night and though the back end looked awesome with the lights when the brakes were hit. looked a bit mean!

And as others have pointed out, share some common styling here and there I think is good for the cars and brand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was a C6 owner that absolutely hated the second they revealed the C7. It grew on me because the rest of the car is SICK!!! I still am so so with the taillights, but I could care less any more. As soon as my wife said "figure out if we can afford the payments and get yourself a C7", I became a, "I don't give a rats ass what you think the tail lights look like, you don't have one and if you did you would think differently" kind if guy.... LMAO I won't even respond to anyone that says anything about the C7 anymore, ill just smile and walk away. :D

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The back end is my FAVORITE view of the car!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I would have said I love the Camaro taillights thank god GM changed from those old traditional taillights. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, it seems GM saw enough similarity to redesign the taillights for the 2014 Camaro. I think both cars look great and don't really understand why someone would take offense to it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The "Stingray taillights look just like the Camaro" comment drives me insane! They look NOTHING alike, well I suppose they are both rectangular and red. I absolutely love the rear view of the Stingray, it looks mean and exotic.

All I can say is whoever at GM decided to abandon the 4 round taillight design should be given a raise:

18d7p2281e1s.jpg

·
Registered
993 Posts
Never had that comment. I'd probably say something provocative like - at least they didn't put those unimaginative round lights on it.

Reactions: Z51Stingray

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I've never had that comment said to me, they are to busy looking at my C7 enjoying the work of art!!

SF
Rick

Reactions: smackYYZ

·
Registered
149 Posts
Odd the few times someone has made comments like that, they asked why GM copied Ferrari?

I'll take that as a compliment.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I don't remember who at GM said this; but the Corvette rear was supposed to be similar to the current US fighter jet...
Hmm, with the NPP valves I guess you could also say that GM borrowed the vectored-exhaust from the fighter as well. ;)

Reactions: Ragtop
1 - 20 of 45 Posts