Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Might Be the Ultimate Viper Slayer, says Patrick Rall.

The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Might Be the Ultimate Viper Slayer - Torque News

"The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is set to debut as the most track capable Corvette ever and should that be the case, the newest Z06 might be GM’s best bet at knocking the mighty SRT Viper off of its pedestal as the ultimate American supercar for more than a few months."

Agree or disagree?

·
18,667 Posts
I believe that the Viper will be here (sold to customers) for a while longer, but as far as its competitive track prowess, it will be many seconds per lap behind the C7 Z06. Sure the Viper will accelerate really fast in a O-60 sprint, but as noted in that famous, recent comparative test by a car magazine, on the track the Viper did not do well. I am referring to the test you and many of us read, that had a four year design, a ZR1, doing better than the brand-new-design fifth generation Viper.

With GM saying last week that the new Z06 will be the most track capable Corvette ever, we will be seeing the C7 Z06 crossing the finish fine while we still be looking back down the track, looking for the Viper to come around the last turn and then head to the finish line.

As far as sales, the new Viper sold a total of 532 units, April through November, whereas the new Stingray has sold (delivered to customers) over 8,000 in the last two and a half months. In terms of full year production, this equates to approximately 1,000 Vipers per year compared to approximately 25,000-30,000 Corvettes per year.

The Viper will remain loud, crude, brutish and great for showing off at a local car event. The Corvette will remain America's sports car, capable of great and comfortable around town driving, a fantastic vehicle for cross-country trips, and in its C7 Z06 form, a more capable track weapon!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Your sales comparison would probably be more valid if it was to compare Z06's build to Vipers as they are more alike. Of course we'll need to wait a year for that. I suspect the end result will be the same with the Z06 running away in the totals though to to the extent of the Stingray.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts