Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in CA and we're supposed to use both plates. Just wondering what others do.

C7STGRA

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Also in CA. It's only a fix it ticket. If you get a ticket, put the plate on, get the ticket signed off, remove the plate. Repeat as necessary. There is a small admin fee ($25) as well with the ticket.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also in CA. It's only a fix it ticket. If you get a ticket, put the plate on, get the ticket signed off, remove the plate. Repeat as necessary. There is a small admin fee ($25) as well with the ticket.
Ditto. In 17 years of driving in California with no front plate, I've gotten one "fix it" ticket and did just what TNSQUIRE proposed. Incidentally, I've been stopped by police several times and not once did the officer ticket me for no front plate. The one ticket I got was when the car was (legally) parked on the street!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ditto. In 17 years of driving in California with no front plate, I've gotten one "fix it" ticket and did just what TNSQUIRE proposed. Incidentally, I've been stopped by police several times and not once did the officer ticket me for no front plate. The one ticket I got was when the car was (legally) parked on the street!
In most areas you are more likely to get a parking ticket from a parking enforcement officer for no front plate than a traffic ticket from a police officer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also live in California I never had a front plate on my C4 and in the nine months I've had my C7 I have not had a front plate on it.

I have never got a fix-it ticket as of yet.
I saw a black C7 convertible just like mine with a front license plate on it looked terrible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In most areas you are more likely to get a parking ticket from a parking enforcement officer for no front plate than a traffic ticket from a police officer.
This happened to my neighbor a few months ago when he was parked in front of his house.

·
18,667 Posts
Oregon is also a two state plate. The original and current law itself says,"clearly visible from the front," and thanks to Buzz, I and others carry a copy of that in my glove box. However, a subsequent administrative judge ruling added, "the plate shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle."

Do not like the reduced cooling the a front grill plate would result in, and sure do not like it's looks there either, so in a simple frame plate, it sits on the dash. In the last month, three times a different local officer has clocked me with a radar gun around town, and since I am always a good boy within all cities and towns, no ticket for front plate yet. It is clearly visible with the hood down from the front as the law itself requires, and the frame does not obscure either the expiration year or the month, for blocking those often offends LEO's -- which I understand. (Please ignore the car show display crap in the picture.)

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in MO for years now with zero repercussions. The majority of members of our corvette club forgo the front plate. I don't know of anyone who has been tickets.

MO is a two plate state, but no one really seems to care as long as you have a good rear plate.

P.S. The front plate has been heavily discussed here and over time I've observed the following pattern:

Those who display the front plate insist that people without the plate do get tickets in their jurisdiction and / or are more likely to get to be stopped with the missing front plate as the reason.

Those who drive without the front plate report zero problems from not having it.

The fact is that when you attract the attention of a LEO, they are always behind you and don't notice the missing front plate. Sure, they likely clocked you on-coming but they wouldn't be able to read the front plate, even if you had it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Southern CA and no front plates on any vettes since 1988. Last ticked I got was in 1989, but he didn't write me for no front plate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took my front plate off at my house to drive it to a detailer under 2 miles away... yup, i got a ticket! I now keep it on all the time!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I took my front plate off at my house to drive it to a detailer under 2 miles away... yup, i got a ticket! I now keep it on all the time!
Could you be more specific about where you live? I promise no one here will hunt you down.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
In 15 years working patrol I used the no front plate law as a reason to stop a car but never wrote for it.
How many driven by middle aged (or older) white men or women?

I seem to have aged out of the probable cause stop many years ago (when I sold my Thunderbird Supercoupe :)).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Long Island New York. Actually let me clarify... she gave me a warning and apparently logged it and said i would get a ticket next time. I wasnt happy though!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Also in CA. First thing I do when I return home from the dealership with a new car is remove that ugly front license plate bracket. Hard to believe folks in my neighborhood still have paper plates on the rear and the car is 3 years old! Seems to me they would get popped before I would.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I live in CA and we're supposed to use both plates. Just wondering what others do.

C7STGRA

noooo way. too ugly. just say sry and you took it off for the track for air flow and forgot to put it back on, keep it in the trunk compartment to the left.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a Sto n Sho, mounts low beneath the grill and is easily removed, I dirve quite a bit in the evenings, dont need to give ociffer popo any reason to pull me over. " I dont know if I can walk the white line Ociffer, but I might be able to snort it", LMAO that would go over real well I'm sure!

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
For that reason I moved from a two tag state to a one tag state..................nah, just kidding, much lower taxes that's why. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts